2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So where are we today?

Goalies -
protect Korpi
Elvis is exempt
Kiv is exposed

D -
protect Jones, Werenski, Gav
Peake is exempt
Savard is free agent
Kukan is the prize here

Forwards -
protect PLD, Domi, Bjork, Jenner, Cam, Nyquist, ?
plenty of talent is exempt
would anyone take our 8th not exempt forward?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
So where are we today?

Goalies -
protect Korpi
Elvis is exempt
Kiv is exposed

D -
Peake is exempt
Savard is free agent
Kukan is the prize here

Forwards -
you forgot 2 forwards have to be exposed with more than 40/70 games played.
If robi reach that he will have to be exposed and might be taken if he played any good. also if he actually play well maybe someone else will have to be exposed and anyway no other player are close to that.
I could see Jenner being force to be exposed or the worse of the other vets.
Gerbe could be exposed but that mean he has to play 38 games this season.
maybe nash will accept to be resign 1 year for cheap just to be exposed.
Or a new ufa but it would mean signing someone like Gautier and Sheanan for 2 years just to be exposed. again none are really optimal solution.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So where are we today?

Goalies -
protect Korpi
Elvis is exempt
Kiv is exposed

D -
Peake is exempt
Savard is free agent
Kukan is the prize here

Forwards -

It still seems that Kukan is the plum choice.

We don't even need to protect a lot of those forwards. Jenner? Nyquist? Cam? Why bother? It would free up plenty of $$ if one of them were taken.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
It still seems that Kukan is the plum choice.

We don't even need to protect a lot of those forwards. Jenner? Nyquist? Cam? Why bother? It would free up plenty of $$ if one of them were taken.
could just protect sten and robi and hope they take the cap of one of them so the team can keep kuk

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So where are we today?

Goalies -
protect Korpi
Elvis is exempt
Kiv is exposed

D -
Peake is exempt
Savard is free agent
Kukan is the prize here

Forwards -
Right now I'd almost rather expose Cam and Nyquist and possibly protect Kukan. I don't think either one would be taken but if so, I think that's recoverable and free up money

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If I understand the rues correctly if Savard is not extended we can protect Kukan, Jones & Zach plus 7 F's. If Savard has been extended we can add him to the protected list and go with PLD, Domi, Bjorkstrand and pick between Cam, Nyqvist, Jenner for the 4th. Saving $ by dumping Murray & Nuti may come back to haunt Jarmo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I understand the rues correctly if Savard is not extended we can protect Kukan, Jones & Zach plus 7 F's. If Savard has been extended we can add him to the protected list and go with PLD, Domi, Bjorkstrand and pick between Cam, Nyqvist, Jenner for the 4th. Saving $ by dumping Murray & Nuti may come back to haunt Jarmo.

I don't think moving out Murray and Nuti is going to bite us in 2021-22. If Savard is leaving and Peeke isn't ready by then, then you can sign a stopgap top4D like Vatanen. It will cost less than paying $7.2m for Murray+Nuti for this year.

Reactions: Fro

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Foligno and Dubinsky are going into the last year of their current contracts

They will both be off the books unless Foligno is re-signed prior to the draft

or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Wouldn’t be surprised if we re-signed Savard and ended up going the 8 players route instead of 7 F and 3 D. Protect our top-4 (Peeke exempt, Kukan the one exposed. I’ve read mixed things on if Gavrikov is exempt or not although I thought he had to be protected. Does anyone have a clear answer? That changes the calculation, and if Gav is exempt then you could go the 7F and 3D route and leave Kukan as our unprotected D (and all but guarantee he’d be the one Seattle drafts)).

I’d protect our F in the following order:

1) PLD
2) Bjorkstrand
3) Domi
4) Atkinson
5) Nyquist
6) Jenner
7) Robinson

Foligno bumps up ahead of Robinson if we re-sign him before the draft, but I’d see if we can game the system in that case and just re-sign him officially right after the draft. This would particularly be important if we go 4F/4D (not as important if we go the 7F/3D route).

Interestingly, we might have such a high combination of exempt players (Texier, Bemstrom, Foudy) and vets on expiring contracts (Nash, Koivu, Foligno, Grigorenko) that we might almost be forced to go the 8 player route (4F/4D) so we have 2 Fs exposed that meet the games threshold, (unless Gerbe/Robinson/Stenlund meet the games threshold, which it seems is unlikely based on our current projected lineup).

pled

Sep 7, 2009
did you forget GAV ? if you thought he was exempt, he definitely isn't sorry.
also if savard want to stay he just have to wait till after the draft. he if doesn't want to I and want to f*** with the team just for fun I wouldn't keep a player like but I doubt he would do that same for cap

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Wouldn’t be surprised if we re-signed Savard and ended up going the 8 players route instead of 7 F and 3 D. Protect our top-4 (Peeke exempt, Kukan the one exposed. I’ve read mixed things on if Gavrikov is exempt or not although I thought he had to be protected. Does anyone have a clear answer? That changes the calculation, and if Gav is exempt then you could go the 7F and 3D route and leave Kukan as our unprotected D (and all but guarantee he’d be the one Seattle drafts)).

I’d protect our F in the following order:

1) PLD
2) Bjorkstrand
3) Domi
4) Atkinson
5) Nyquist
6) Jenner
7) Robinson

Foligno bumps up ahead of Robinson if we re-sign him before the draft, but I’d see if we can game the system in that case and just re-sign him officially right after the draft. This would particularly be important if we go 4F/4D (not as important if we go the 7F/3D route).

Interestingly, we might have such a high combination of exempt players (Texier, Bemstrom, Foudy) and vets on expiring contracts (Nash, Koivu, Foligno, Grigorenko) that we might almost be forced to go the 8 player route (4F/4D) so we have 2 Fs exposed that meet the games threshold, (unless Gerbe/Robinson/Stenlund meet the games threshold, which it seems is unlikely based on our current projected lineup).
Gav isnt exempt his 18-19 season counts

and if jarmo doesn't expect to expose one of the vet he will just sign a random player that has close to 70 game played to a minimum salary 2 years contract. can still send him to cleveland won't change anything much just bit less money in owner pocket

Potential ufa sign just for exposure: Sheahan, Simon, Shore(the other one), Sheary, Karlsson, Gauthier, Frolik, Lewis. they all have less than 13 games to play to get the requirements and probably can't ask much more than minimum. easier than playing gerbe 38 games

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Off topic but when is Zito or Davidson going to throw us a bone? Davidson poached Bread.. Zito poached Nutti and signed AW.. plus they both knew everything about our board and team goals.. shouldn't there be something friendly coming back?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
did you forget GAV ? if you thought he was exempt, he must definitely isn't sorry.

Capfriendly is now showing him as needing to be protected. So yes he needs to be protected.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Capfriendly is now showing him as needing to be protected. So yes he needs to be protected.
not that capfriendly is 100% always right but yes he does need to be protected. I'm not 100% always right too but I'm damn pretty sure. so you did forget him in your post.

and I guess the team can protect kuks over him if he does play better this season we never know but it would surprise me.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Likely eligible
Forward
unlikely eligible
Forward
Likely eligible
Defense
unlikely eligible
Defense
eligible
Goalie
DuboisStenlund(36)WerenskiCarlsson(40)Korpisalo
NyquistGerbe(38)GavrikovKivlenieks
DomiPu(40)Jones(4)
JennerSherwood(40)Kukan(28)
Robinson(10)Thurkauf(40)Harrington(30)
Bjorkstrand(11)MacInnis(40)
Atkinson(18)Zaar(40)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
()=game needed for the required exposed
everyone else is ufa or exempt

Need 2 F 1 D 1 G exposed can protect 4F 4D 1G or 7F 3D 1G

I didn't think about it before but if Kuks or a good season and Harry play 30 games they can protect 4D and 4 young F and leave all the older forward exposed. could work with carlsson too if he makes the team.

Last edited:

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Strategically, do you keep and dress certain guys as 4th line guys just to boost the expansion draft pool?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Right now I'd almost rather expose Cam and Nyquist and possibly protect Kukan. I don't think either one would be taken but if so, I think that's recoverable and free up money

They would take either player instantly. Vegas competing right away (yes with help from other teams which likely won't happen this time around, but still) is proof that Seattle will push to compete right away. At the very least both Cam and Nyquist will be 30-40 point 2nd liners, which is an extremely good pickup in the expansion draft.

I'm keeping Cam over Kukan every day.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Strategically, do you keep and dress certain guys as 4th line guys just to boost the expansion draft pool?
id rather sign a guy that need 3 games to become exposed and send him down rather than just playing random guys.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
All I ask is that we don't get too cute about it, giving up draft picks to steer to a player. I'm sure lots will change, but if nothing did change, I agree it looks like Kukan would be the pick. As much as I like his progression, I think you just accept that and hope Peeke steps up.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Will Gavrikov for sure meet the exposure requirements / need protected? Two professional seasons or less. All the mocks show him needing to be protected but Texier is exempt, despite both playing a handful of games at the end of 2018-2019.

I'd actually think about going 4 & 4.

4D: Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov, Kukan
4F: Domi, PLD, Bjorkstrand, pick one of Cam/Jenner/Nyquist.

I say pick one because all three are slightly ovarpaid, imo. If Cam has turned into a ~20-20-40 guy with declining quickness/speed...it would almost be a cap dump. Jenner is overpaid for being a ~30-35 point guy (we have enough of those types of contracts) and he's bad defensively when you put him in a defensive role. Nyquist...meh. A bit of an overpay. I would think about letting this season play out and picking one of those three and turn the Expansion Draft into a cap dump if you can get Seattle to take one of those contracts. It also sort of depends on what Jarmo wants to do with the 2021-2022 season and beyond.

Although, ideally, you'd play Harrington 30 games and Seattle would take him as a guy they can use to fill up their AHL roster.

Going 7 +3 = likely Kukan, and also a real struggle to get two forwards to meet the exposure requirements.
Going 4 + 3 = a real struggle to get a Dman to meet the exposure requirements, and likely a top 6 forward is getting drafted in a semi-cap dump situation.

Jarmo can and likely will have to get creative as to timing any extensions with the 2021 free agents. He could have some "handshake deals" in place for Savard and/or Foligno if he wants to keep them but wait to sign them until after the Expansion Draft if he wants to save a protection spot.

Reactions: rotsbu

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Will Gavrikov for sure meet the exposure requirements / need protected? Two professional seasons or less. All the mocks show him needing to be protected but Texier is exempt, despite both playing a handful of games at the end of 2018-2019.

I think the rule is something like if you are 20 or over, years in other professional leagues like KHL count. So the difference between Gavrikov and Tex has to do with what age they were playing in a professional league. Tex was younger than 20 so his time in Finland didn’t count but Gav was over 20 playing in the KHL.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

pled

Sep 7, 2009

Simple, Tex was 19.

also if theres someone better than harry to play those 30 game I am pretty sure torts won't play him just for exposure. best player play that was pretty obvious before.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think the rule is something like if you are 20 or over, years in other professional leagues like KHL count. So the difference between Gavrikov and Tex has to do with what age they were playing in a professional league. Tex was younger than 20 so his time in Finland didn’t count but Gav was over 20 playing in the KHL.

Simple, Tex was 19.

also if theres someone better than harry to play those 30 game I am pretty sure torts won't play him just for exposure. best player play that was pretty obvious before.

Artemi Panarin was exempt at the 2017 Expansion Draft despite being in virtually the same situation as Gavrikov (KHL player...played 2 full seasons in the NHL).

If Panarin was exempt, why would Gavrikov not be?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Artemi Panarin was exempt at the 2017 Expansion Draft despite being in virtually the same situation as Gavrikov (KHL player...played 2 full seasons in the NHL).

If Panarin was exempt, why would Gavrikov not be?
gav played 2 season as of this year. he will play one more next year. if you mean the season that Bread got signed, first he didn't play and second he wasn't even signed for 14-15 is deal was only for the year after. Gav was signed for 18-19 and played. it's more different than it appear to be.

Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
gav played 2 season as of this year. he will play one more next year. if you mean the season that Bread got signed, first he didn't play and second he wasn't even signed for 14-15 is deal was only for the year after. Gav was signed for 18-19 and played. it's more different than it appear to be.

It's not, though. Gavrikov is a 10.2(c) RFA, meaning based on his signing age (23), the league/CBA views him with one year of professional experience right now, not two. So the '20-'21 season would be his 2nd year of professional experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->