2021 Season , just practice?

Mtown17057

Oct 16, 2020
Here is my question to you. If your team allows fans will you attend if it is determined that there will be no playoffs? With no playoffs, I view these games as just practice or scrimmages thus I would not waste my money. Interested to hear others thoughts.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Here is my question to you. If your team allows fans will you attend if it is determined that there will be no playoffs? With no playoffs, I view these games as just practice or scrimmages thus I would not waste my money. Interested to hear others thoughts.
nobody has gotten that far yet, not even the league

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I understand from your use of the word "if" that this is a hypothetical question. So even though I don't know if there will be playoffs of not (since that is yet to be determined), and even though most teams aren't having any fans to start, and even though the nearest AHL city is an hour drive for me and I don't normally go to their games. I would say, in response to your specific question - Yes, I would not hesitate to attend games based on the money or the fact that there won't be playoffs.

I would hesitate to attend based on contracting covid-19. I'm a health care provider, so I'm scheduled for the vaccine next week. After I get the two shots and another two weeks pass, and if the team and building were taking appropriate precautions and I could maintain social distancing from those around me who may not be vaccinated, then I would attend. I wouldn't go if they got crazy and allowed all the seats to be occupied, or if they were not requiring masks and distancing.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And that is a poorly run operation.
no it's actually not.....

the AHL has been around longer than most leagues except the NHL, Does any fanbase agree with what their member clubs does when faced with a league bylaw change, no matter what the rational is, no, and especially how all leagues have been impacted by the pandemic....

do the 31, soon to be 32, once Seattle firms up their choice, member clubs and specifically, CHA/MIL/SPR were given the option to opt out, it's just surprising that the remaining 28 opted to play, as compared to other leagues that had the same options, chose to take the opt out.

the one caveat that should've been suspended if you're allowing member clubs to opt out, is the AHL Requirement that every NHL Team should be represented in a shortened season, or RTP....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Make it like NASCAR and allow patrons to bring in their own coolers
not exactly, Mike:

NASCAR has had no fans once we returned from the hiatus, and only a limited # as the recent report about Phoenix said that capacity was 1/4 or capped at 8400 fans; coolers are not allowed and haven't been since the pandemic, it is also why practice and qualifying was halted once they returned at Darlington in May 2020, AND ONLY why 8 races at this point will have practice/qualifying at the Cup level

if you aren't allowed to bring in refreshments from outside to the individual arenas, that's prohibited from AHL Arenas, never mind the NHL Arenas .

mndbsstt

Jan 7, 2021
CT
And that is a poorly run operation.
I wouldn't call it poorly-run. I would say they're thinking ahead. Who knows what this COVID situation will be like in the spring, even with people already having both doses of the vaccines.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
it was common to do that, yes, but NHMS is now an SMI property....

I don't know anything about that, nor if it even matters. My buddies said the people at the track were very upfront as to why they weren't allowing coolers this year: They needed the revenue from selling beer/concessions. They expect things to go back to normal once there's no cap on seating.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know anything about that, nor if it even matters. My buddies said the people at the track were very upfront as to why they weren't allowing coolers this year: They needed the revenue from selling beer/concessions. They expect things to go back to normal once there's no cap on seating.
If beer sales are to be allowed, I’d assume food would have to be purchased with each order.....making it just another adjustment arenas would have to contend with

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I would know.... it's my area of expertise

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
While most venues won't have conflicts (as the season starts), there is the POTENTIAL for conflicts once we get to summer months and enough folks are vaccinated to ensure herd immunity and groups that nominally travel to entertain at AHL venues (and others) are back out there.

Reason enough for AHL to take its time in announcing a schedule.

My AHL inaugural season HSK STH has been cancelled; I can roll over funds and get a few perks (including what appears to be the swag for the inaugural season/opening night), or get a refund. IF the team allows attendance, it will be offered to STH (who roll over) first, on a game-by-game basis. (I will be happy to take the savings from concessions and parking and put it toward AHL.TV and enjoy the games from my living room.)

If games have to be cancelled for Covid, the division standings will be by win %. So, games will count.

No decision has been made on playoffs -- yet. Will they happen? (Probably) How many teams will participate? (Undetermined) A lot may hinge on whether/when the US-Canada border reopens to travel. The three AHL teams in Canada will be sick and tired of playing each other.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... If games have to be cancelled for Covid, the division standings will be by win %. So, games will count. ...
Wasn't win percentage already announced by the League (or one of their "insiders") as a condition for rankings regardless of COVID cancellations? It's getting difficult to separate the proverbial chaff from the ice shavings with multiple threads on this topic. :huh:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
While most venues won't have conflicts (as the season starts), there is the POTENTIAL for conflicts once we get to summer months and enough folks are vaccinated to ensure herd immunity and groups that nominally travel to entertain at AHL venues (and others) are back out there.

Reason enough for AHL to take its time in announcing a schedule.

My AHL inaugural season HSK STH has been cancelled; I can roll over funds and get a few perks (including what appears to be the swag for the inaugural season/opening night), or get a refund. IF the team allows attendance, it will be offered to STH (who roll over) first, on a game-by-game basis. (I will be happy to take the savings from concessions and parking and put it toward AHL.TV and enjoy the games from my living room.)

If games have to be cancelled for Covid, the division standings will be by win %. So, games will count.

No decision has been made on playoffs -- yet. Will they happen? (Probably) How many teams will participate? (Undetermined) A lot may hinge on whether/when the US-Canada border reopens to travel. The three AHL teams in Canada will be sick and tired of playing each other.

It wont be just the three teams in Canada who grow sick of playing each other, there are other three team regions that are looking for the same BS schedule over 32 games.
As for paying to watch games, the Crunch are planning to offer the season ticket holders the AHL TV package for the Crunch home and away games only. That is something, at least.
I do not expect a playoff this season. Given everything that has been and is going on, it makes little sense to crown a "Champion" with how it seems the season is going to play out. The alleged plan is to use this season to continue to develop those who are not ready for the NHL, and that is what it should be. Besides, there is no telling how the NHL season will go and teams may very well be looking for additional healthy bodies come post season.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad