GBU 2021 Sabres Season in Review

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres season is over. I'll likely watch a little playoffs, but essentially be taking a hockey hiatus for 10 weeks or so until the expansion draft.

I saw a lot of Yin / Yang, or two-sides to the coin, or pro-cons, with the totality of the 2021 season.
I'll try to enumerate them as paired responses, and take it in reverse order to end on a positive note.

Ugly:
My desire: I really wasn't into hockey this season. The late start wasn't bad - actually, I'd be fine with a shorter NHL season starting around Armistice / Veteran's Day, finishing the end of March. That's 20 weeks and assuming an average of 3 games per week, 60 games. 7x4=28, +8x2=16, +16x1=16, =60 total. But I assume the NHL will do an 84 game schedule in 2022: 7x4=28, +8x3=24, +16x2=32, =84 total.

COVID
: Definitely impacted my desire. Had no interest after the Sabres season was ended in March 2020. The Sabres 2-week pause after 2 weeks of 2021 play, with the compressed make-up schedule to boot, didn't help things at all. Never mind the avoidable Palmeri incident, which has been discussed at length.

Schedule: COVID aside, I liked the "back-to-backs", or "COVID back-to-backs" where teams played twice in 3 days. I did NOT like how the Sabres schedule was front-loaded with certain opponents and back-loaded with other opponents. I haven't looked whether all, or only some, other teams had the same "uneven" schedules with certain opponents. It seemed like Groundhog Day at times.

Losing Streak: The tenor and humor on these boards helped endure some truly shitty hockey on the ice and coaching behind the bench and from the press interviews.

Bad:
1. Jack Eichel's injury. He was clearly inhibited to begin the season, then finally shut down after exacerbating it. Icing on the cake was the near-incessant speculation about Eichel leaving the Sabres this offseason.
2. Waiting far too long to fire Ralph.
3. Ralph's ignorance of analytics in general, his reliance on veteran depth, and his bromance for Cody Eakin in particular.
4. Ullmark's injuries. All backups definitely hurt the Sabres in the standings; likely .
5. McCabe's injury. Prevented a trade deadline deal for an asset of some kind. There would have been a taker, and McCabe would have finally gotten to the playoffs, likely as a parting gift from Buffalo.
6. Dahlin's regression under Ralph / Steve Smith.
7. Girgensons' injury. Sabres could have used his speed and style in the lineup this season.
8. Skinner looking out of place and out of sorts almost all season.
9. Kevyn Adams. In the post-Krueger firing zoom call with the media, he didn't come across as forceful, resolute, or in command.
10. NHL officiating. Far too frequently it was inconsistent in both calls and non-calls, and biased for and against players and teams.
11. Taylor Hall. I haven't seen $8M so blatantly wasted since a US Congressional spending proposal.

Good:
1. Jack's injury let us see Sam at center for the first prolonged run since he was drafted. And Sam delivered. Whether or not he's a center to start next season remains to be seen, but his value just went up. I think he should be signed long term, but if the Sabres seek to trade him, they should demand a center (or a 1A goalie) in return. Further, the speculation that "Eichel is absolutely leaving" should stop yesterday. Who the hell plays the world's fastest contact sport with a herniated cervical disk for an employer they hate when their contract and paycheck is guaranteed and injury protected?
2. Seeing the new life breathed into the Sabres by Donnie G. and staff. Imagine how shitty we'd feel as Sabres fans if Adams/Pegulas had waited until today to fire Krueger, or even decided to retain him. We'd have seen nothing of what could be again, in the future.
3. The resurgence of Mittelstadt, the emergence of Cozens *heart* and Asplund, and the tenacity of Bjork and Ruotsalainen.
4. Hutton's subsequent injury allowing us to see Tokarski, UPL, and Houser, each of whom, though likely not ready for long-term NHL stints, provided a few flashes of good play. Hutton had a couple good games too, he's just not NHL caliber anymore.
5. The potential for Borgen and Bryson and Samuelsson. I think we'll see at least two of them on the Sabres to start next season, and all three of them to finish next season.
6. Dahlin's resurrection under Donnie G. and Capo Girardi.
7. Girgensons return next season - assuming he's not taken in the ED.
8. When paired with Eichel next season, Skinner surely has to be better on the ice and on the stat sheet than this past year. Because he can't possibly be worse. Right? Right!!??
9. Karamos hired to help Adams. I see no downside in the short term.
10. Don't have to watch the officials gig the Sabres in the playoffs. :laugh::sarcasm:
11. I've already forgotten about Taylor Hall. Had to re-read my post before hitting "post reply" and can't believe I left that slacker off. By the way the US govt. spends >$8M of taxpayer money every minute.

Thoughts? Rebuttals? Additions?

The glass is definitely half full.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's a pretty thorough list that more or less echoes my feelings about this season. I think the hardest thing to really quantify is my interest in the team, the league, and the sport in general. I was super optimistic heading into training camp. By the middle of February I was basically hate-watching. I've never soured on the team so quickly before, and I know I wasn't alone in that. The league's pisspoor decision making, either in terms of on-ice officiating, the Devils covid debacle, the Tom Wilson situation, only exacerbates my negativity.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's a pretty thorough list that more or less echoes my feelings about this season. I think the hardest thing to really quantify is my interest in the team, the league, and the sport in general. I was super optimistic heading into training camp. By the middle of February I was basically hate-watching. I've never soured on the team so quickly before, and I know I wasn't alone in that. The league's pisspoor decision making, either in terms of on-ice officiating, the Devils covid debacle, the Tom Wilson situation, only exacerbates my negativity.
The middle of the Sabres losing streak, before Krueger was fired, when it was clear the Sabres were going to ride the streak hard until it somehow ended by outside interaction and not of their own will and choosing, like the "Hangover II" blackout drunk weekend with a lady-boy in Thailand, was the hockey definition of schadenfreude.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1611203127865.jpg

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Props for the read-up OP.

Tough to see this season as anything other than the bullet that finally killed the Eichel era. That's how I'll remember it.

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
most Sabre thing ever but i wrote a long post about how hopeful i am going forward even if Jack and Sam are gone this summer and site crashed on me of course

basic point was the reason is how the team played under Granato, refusing to quit and they seemed sick of losing

plus how the Sabres got a deep pool of young players for the first time since the suffering began, and all Adams has to do is not screw up trades of whoever wants out + provide NHL goaltending

Reactions: debaser66

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
What did we have; 6 goalies in the rotation this shortened season?
Has that ever f***ing happened before?

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
What did we have; 6 goalies in the rotation this shortened season?
Has that ever f***ing happened before?

The closest was when we dressed 9 goalies in the 2013-14 season, of which 6 played.

Miller, Neuvirth, Enroth, Hackett, Lieuwen, Knapp.

Halak, Makarov and Vinz dressed but didn't play.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
As bad as everything seems today, this season was actually lost the day they announced the divisions and the Covid format.

In 40 years of being a hockey fan, I haven't seen a division as stacked as the East was this year, and when you add in the fact that the teams only play within the division, it was just brutal. It's my opinion that of the 12 playoff teams that are not in the east, there is a better than average chance 10 of them wouldn't have made the playoffs if they had switched places with the sabres and move into the east at the start of the season

This is a young team, but I honestly believe that if Ullmark was healthy, and the Sabres played in the West or North, that they would have been right in the thick of it competing for a playoff spot. Don't forget, this Eastern division also destroyed a pretty good Flyers team and the front office of the Rangers.

Losing takes it's toll on players, but time can heal that. All the important players are still under team control, and winning can change player's perspectives and attitudes really quickly, so all is not lost.

I haven't been much of a fan of Adams as a GM so far, and he absolutely needs to have a good offseason, but the situation is still salvageable, and maybe all of this airing or grievances might lead to better player-management communication and some good may yet come out of this yet.

Edit: Nice take by the original poster, btw. Some good thoughts and insights

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Sabres season is over. I'll likely watch a little playoffs, but essentially be taking a hockey hiatus for 10 weeks or so until the expansion draft.

I saw a lot of Yin / Yang, or two-sides to the coin, or pro-cons, with the totality of the 2021 season.
I'll try to enumerate them as paired responses, and take it in reverse order to end on a positive note.

Ugly:
My desire: I really wasn't into hockey this season. The late start wasn't bad - actually, I'd be fine with a shorter NHL season starting around Armistice / Veteran's Day, finishing the end of March. That's 20 weeks and assuming an average of 3 games per week, 60 games. 7x4=28, +8x2=16, +16x1=16, =60 total. But I assume the NHL will do an 84 game schedule in 2022: 7x4=28, +8x3=24, +16x2=32, =84 total.

COVID
: Definitely impacted my desire. Had no interest after the Sabres season was ended in March 2020. The Sabres 2-week pause after 2 weeks of 2021 play, with the compressed make-up schedule to boot, didn't help things at all. Never mind the avoidable Palmeri incident, which has been discussed at length.

Schedule: COVID aside, I liked the "back-to-backs", or "COVID back-to-backs" where teams played twice in 3 days. I did NOT like how the Sabres schedule was front-loaded with certain opponents and back-loaded with other opponents. I haven't looked whether all, or only some, other teams had the same "uneven" schedules with certain opponents. It seemed like Groundhog Day at times.

Losing Streak: The tenor and humor on these boards helped endure some truly shitty hockey on the ice and coaching behind the bench and from the press interviews.

Bad:
1. Jack Eichel's injury. He was clearly inhibited to begin the season, then finally shut down after exacerbating it. Icing on the cake was the near-incessant speculation about Eichel leaving the Sabres this offseason.
2. Waiting far too long to fire Ralph.
3. Ralph's ignorance of analytics in general, his reliance on veteran depth, and his bromance for Cody Eakin in particular.
4. Ullmark's injuries. All backups definitely hurt the Sabres in the standings; likely .
5. McCabe's injury. Prevented a trade deadline deal for an asset of some kind. There would have been a taker, and McCabe would have finally gotten to the playoffs, likely as a parting gift from Buffalo.
6. Dahlin's regression under Ralph / Steve Smith.
7. Girgensons' injury. Sabres could have used his speed and style in the lineup this season.
8. Skinner looking out of place and out of sorts almost all season.
9. Kevyn Adams. In the post-Krueger firing zoom call with the media, he didn't come across as forceful, resolute, or in command.
10. NHL officiating. Far too frequently it was inconsistent in both calls and non-calls, and biased for and against players and teams.
11. Taylor Hall. I haven't seen $8M so blatantly wasted since a US Congressional spending proposal.

Good:
1. Jack's injury let us see Sam at center for the first prolonged run since he was drafted. And Sam delivered. Whether or not he's a center to start next season remains to be seen, but his value just went up. I think he should be signed long term, but if the Sabres seek to trade him, they should demand a center (or a 1A goalie) in return. Further, the speculation that "Eichel is absolutely leaving" should stop yesterday. Who the hell plays the world's fastest contact sport with a herniated cervical disk for an employer they hate when their contract and paycheck is guaranteed and injury protected?
2. Seeing the new life breathed into the Sabres by Donnie G. and staff. Imagine how shitty we'd feel as Sabres fans if Adams/Pegulas had waited until today to fire Krueger, or even decided to retain him. We'd have seen nothing of what could be again, in the future.
3. The resurgence of Mittelstadt, the emergence of Cozens *heart* and Asplund, and the tenacity of Bjork and Ruotsalainen.
4. Hutton's subsequent injury allowing us to see Tokarski, UPL, and Houser, each of whom, though likely not ready for long-term NHL stints, provided a few flashes of good play. Hutton had a couple good games too, he's just not NHL caliber anymore.
5. The potential for Borgen and Bryson and Samuelsson. I think we'll see at least two of them on the Sabres to start next season, and all three of them to finish next season.
6. Dahlin's resurrection under Donnie G. and Capo Girardi.
7. Girgensons return next season - assuming he's not taken in the ED.
8. When paired with Eichel next season, Skinner surely has to be better on the ice and on the stat sheet than this past year. Because he can't possibly be worse. Right? Right!!??
9. Karamos hired to help Adams. I see no downside in the short term.
10. Don't have to watch the officials gig the Sabres in the playoffs. :laugh::sarcasm:
11. I've already forgotten about Taylor Hall. Had to re-read my post before hitting "post reply" and can't believe I left that slacker off. By the way the US govt. spends >$8M of taxpayer money every minute.

Thoughts? Rebuttals? Additions?

The glass is definitely half full.
nice write up and props for the effort and detail... can't approve your last political statement but just because I have no insight in the matter and its none of my business (aka not US citizen)

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
With everything you said, and it was all legit and comprehensive, the press conferences yesterday were sobering and just as impactful as the sum-total of your layout.

We need to accept where we are at with Eichel/Reinhart, respect their feelings, and move forward to quickly improve the franchise.

6 months ago I thought that maybe, just maybe, 23/24 could be a Cup contending team. Which was why I did not like the Taylor Hall signing. I still think 23/24 as a happy season (playoffs, maybe not Cup contending) is a strong possibility if we embrace pain/suffering for one more season, perhaps two.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Randomness: I'm a Boston Area Buffalo Sabres fan and was listening to a bit of sports radio yesterday since they were actually talking Hockey, for once. Sports radio in Boston is almost always Patriots or Red Sox. Anyways, they were talking about trying to get more offense out of the bruins and were talking about the possibility of splitting up Pasta - Bergie - Marchand. So, the host says (paraphrasing here) that he was in favor of moving Pasta down the lineup before the dead line but now that they have Hall, who looks like a SUPERIOR player to Pastrnak, it doesn't make any sense.

I had about a million thoughts go through my head upon hearing this, first of which was "lol Hall sucks, what is this guy talking about?" but what really settled into my brain was how truly bad Krueger must have been to make Hall look like an AHL scrub for most of the season.

Just thought I'd share as hearing this comment really messed with me yesterday.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Been a fan since the 73-74 season.

With confidence, I will say this was the worst season I've witnessed.

I was born in 1971 and have been a Sabres fan since I was old enough to get into sports. I definitely remember teams/players/incidents from the late '70s.

I would agree this was as bad as it had gotten, so far. This franchise is very good at re-establishing new all-time lows.

They do it fairly regularly.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
With everything you said, and it was all legit and comprehensive, the press conferences yesterday were sobering and just as impactful as the sum-total of your layout.

We need to accept where we are at with Eichel/Reinhart, respect their feelings, and move forward to quickly improve the franchise.

6 months ago I thought that maybe, just maybe, 23/24 could be a Cup contending team. Which was why I did not like the Taylor Hall signing. I still think 23/24 as a happy season (playoffs, maybe not Cup contending) is a strong possibility if we embrace pain/suffering for one more season, perhaps two.

My guess is that Reinhart and Eichel are both done with this franchise, and why wouldn't they be?

If/when they go, we will be more or less back to square 1. No way we win either of those trades.

And the real problem here is Pegula, anyway; as long at that variable remains constant, nothing is going to improve appreciably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad