Golf: 2021 Ryder Cup - September 24-26

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hypothetically speaking, if the US clinched this today, do they even bother showing up tomorrow or does everyone just go home?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Gonna be honest, I thought it would be a lot harder to not watch this than it's been.

Way better course fit for the Americans, and only 3 of the Euros would've even made it onto this USA team. Always felt like a blowout... but then again, they've always been blowouts on paper in favour of the USA...

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Not a golf fan but this is the one time when it feels like a real sporting event. Hyped crowds, a good amount of them decked out in their colors, players engaging the fans and showing the emotions they almost never do in any Tour event.

Calling it the World Cup of Golf might be a stretch, but it's as close as that sport will get. And if it's close at the end, there is good drama.
Doesn't look like it this time (hopefully). but it's still a decent watch.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
I am totally disgusted with the behavior of American fans
Uneducated people, ignorant of the values of sport (and particularly of golf)

I'm a golfer, former golf director and I worked on European and Challenge Tour events.

In Europe/Asia you will never see bad shots of opponents applauded or worse players or their families insulted as it is the case in Ryder Cup on American soil since 1991...

This part of US fans should be banned. They cause a lot of harm to the rest of the American public IMHO

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm a golfer, former golf director and I worked on European and Challenge Tour events.

You will never see bad shots of opponents applauded or worse players or their families insulted as it is the case in Ryder Cup on American soil since 1991...

This part of US fans should be banned. They cause a lot of harm to the rest of the American public IMHO

I agree with you, but it was so much worse in 2016. This year has been an improvement.

These are the same crowds that have helped incite the Brooks/Bryson feud. There’s a reason that the players often mention the discrepancy between the crowds in Europe and America. It’s absolutely a slight on the American crowds. It’s also unfair to the majority of spectators because it’s 5% of the spectators that are a problem, but they give American crowds a terrible reputation.

Reactions: DangeRouss

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I anticipated a close match. I realize no team has ever won < 3 1/2 points in singles but it seems like subconsciously the Europeans gave up.

I'd prefer to see the US vs the World in the future. The US just has too many top 10 players for Europe to be competitive.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

In Europe/Asia you will never see bad shots of opponents applauded or worse players or their families insulted as it is the case in Ryder Cup on American soil since 1991...

I agree. Some of these people really need to live in a cave somewhere. I hate the image it gives us.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The US win was impressive but @Bogart ... Europe is 7-3 since 2002. Europe went into this one holding the Cup 4 of the last 5 years and won the last one 17.5 to 10.5.

This event wasn’t as competitive as we all would have hoped for but let’s not suggest the US dominates.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Interesting to me how well received DeChambeau was received by the fans.

In a tour event, he gets chirped. In an event like this, he seems to be a crowd favourite.

Wonder if it reverts back to the chirping.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
@Pookie Tell me something I don't know. You just don't get it. The US team was loaded with chokers such as Tiger and Phil with losing career records. Now they're loaded with top 10 players. Europe is done.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh.. I see.

Done.

Ok then.

61GDIFnDUoL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I agree. Some of these people really need to live in a cave somewhere. I hate the image it gives us.

Honestly, the image given to the USA over fans reaction in a golf tournament sadly is a drop in the bucket in comparison to the image given to the USA over your Coronavirus mask/vaccine debates.

As long as folks rip off masks in the face of an airborne virus or claim there is going to be mass genocide as a result of taking a vaccine.... the world will focus on that vs a few boorish comments on a golf course.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just going off of world rankings, currently the Internationals could field a stronger 12 man roster than Europe can - that's how bad it's gotten for them.

And there isn't much coming down the pipeline either. The Americans left as many 25 and under players from the top 100 of the OWGR off their team as the Euros have in total. Hovland is just about it in terms of elite young prospects, and the core of the team isn't good enough to make up for that. Rahm has obviously surpassed expectations and Rory will be great for another 15 years, but apart from him you've got Fleetwood and Fitzpatrick who have plateaued or maybe even regressed plus Hatton who I don't think has another gear in him beyond what we've seen already. All three of them were supposed to be core guys, but it hasn't happened yet. So whereas for the past decade the core of the team has been Rory, Sergio, Rose, Stenson, Westwood, and Poulter, now you're looking at Rahm, Rory, and Hovland for the next five or so Ryder Cups. And that's assuming Hovland does become as good as I think he will, which is never a given.

Or, what could've happened is that the Americans all came in this week in great form while the Euros didn't, or it was just the perfect course fit for the Americans compared to the Euros (the inverse of 2018). The teams are both going to look very different in two years anyway, since that's what always happens.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Congrats to Team USA for this spectacular win.
I guess your team has learnt to to be a team and the importance to create a great group for this tournament.
And that's for sure a positive aspect.
About this Ryder Cup, I'm really impressed by DJ, Shauffele, Morikawa and Cantlay: they all played an amazing three days golf. Nothing more to say. Also Tony Finau was really solid out there.
Team Europe was, probably, the weakest European team in a while. There were many played not in a good condition: Rory was lost out there, Westwood, Poulter and Fitzpatrick was really bad too.
Probably the European Tour should change the way to select the players and the wild cards...We'll see.
See you in my country in 2 years: I hope to see Tiger in your team again.
GG.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting to me how well received DeChambeau was received by the fans.

In a tour event, he gets chirped. In an event like this, he seems to be a crowd favourite.

Wonder if it reverts back to the chirping.

It’ll be the same it has been for Reed. They’ll be heckling him the next time he plays.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Dr John Carlson is exactly right. There’s no reason this should’ve been close. If you are picking the top 15 golfers among the 24 at the event, it’s the 12 Americans, Rahm, Hovland, and Rory. Europe has fallen slightly, but this is also a great crop of American golfers. Europe will try to make it more difficult for the Americans in 2023, but unless the Americans feud like 2018, they should win it.

I didn’t really get too enthused about this Ryder Cup due to a combination of that it wasn’t competitive and it’s hard to switch from rooting for individuals to rooting for a team.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
@Pookie Tell me something I don't know. You just don't get it. The US team was loaded with chokers such as Tiger and Phil with losing career records. Now they're loaded with top 10 players. Europe is done.
Or maybe Europe hasn't developed the talent in the last 5 years as they did before? I mean Westwood, Poulter, Garcia and Casey shouldn't all be on that team. Basically Europe had too many old guys and not enough young talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad