WJC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why wouldn’t he be able to play?

It's not even about the ability, just I think that for the IIHF to allow a player that has that kind of risk in the covid times is probably too much.

Meanwhile reportedly there are already some roster changes due to injuries as Knyazev and Skotnikov are replaced by Daniil Kuzmin and Vadim Zherenko.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is an interview with Zhamnov who is his GM at Spatak that sheds more light on the Nikishin situation.

Жамнов о Никишине: «На неделе должны быть результаты тестов из Германии. Надеюсь, все будет нормально и ИИХФ разрешит ему играть»

-diagnosed 3 years ago with some heart anomaly
-there were some genetic tests taken in Germany and the results may come in this week
-if everuthing is fine with the tests the FHR will start procedures with the IIHF to have him allowed to play in IIHF events

My take: it's obviously nothing life threatening on a daily basis. Obviously they are still trying to diagnose correctly. Genetic tests point to trying to figure out if it is some hereditary/cogenital thing. I agree with @Caser. Due to the COVID situation any heart problems might at least make people think there is an additional threat to his health. I say, House M.D. to the rescue:)

Reactions: Exarz and Caser

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So yes, looks like Roman Bychkov replaced Rogov.
Would you say Khusnutdinov has worked his into being a “roster lock” for the 2020 WJC? Wheeler said he’s one of 5 locks for the team. It would be fun to watch another Wild prospect play a top 6 center role for Russia at the tournament.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Would you say Khusnutdinov has worked his into being a “roster lock” for the 2020 WJC? Wheeler said he’s one of 5 locks for the team. It would be fun to watch another Wild prospect play a top 6 center role for Russia at the tournament.
He is a center. That makes him a lock due to non-existent center depth on Team Russia as always. Probably also a Top 6 center lock with that depth.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Any major surprises on this roster or omissions? Usually I'll know at least half because of u-18s and other competitions but this time because of Covid and tournament cancelations among other factors I'm not too familiar with most of the players on this roster

Actually, I don't know half of those players myself, the only thing I can say, all top U20 players are on the roster, which means we suck this year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Actually, I don't know half of those players myself, the only thing I can say, all top U20 players are on the roster, which means we suck this year.

It's a weird year for sure, normally there'd be 2-3 North American forwards but there may be none this year. Normally they'd maybe consider Abramov and Firstov but other than that , there's not really anyone available in NA that is much better than other eligibles playing in Russia

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

He is a center. That makes him a lock due to non-existent center depth on Team Russia as always. Probably also a Top 6 center lock with that depth.

I'm not sure if we can talk about locks a this point, except some obvious guys, of course. As about the C roster depth, if we look at that practice lineup, there are 8 natural centers on this roster. Additionally, in terms of competing for the WJC roster spot, there's Mikhail Abramov. So yeah, not sure if we can safely bet our money on Khusnutdinov here.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm not sure if we can talk about locks a this point, except some obvious guys, of course. As about the C roster depth, if we look at that practice lineup, there are 8 natural centers on this roster. Additionally, in terms of competing for the WJC roster spot, there's Mikhail Abramov. So yeah, not sure if we can safely bet our money on Khusnutdinov here.
Well, among those guys I see Khusnutdinov and Abramov as 1-2 guys. I would love to see them further down the chart, but I don't.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I find this odd. Like who? Goalies and forwards as a whole are some of the highest-profile ever. The defense would look like it too with everyone present.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I find this odd. Like who? Goalies and forwards as a whole are some of the highest-profile ever. The defense would look like it too with everyone present.

How many of them are the KHL level players? Podkolzin (he doesn't impress this season, though), Chinakhov, Amirov, Mukhamadullin, Askarov? Groshev doesn't progress, others don't even play regularly in the KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How many of them are the KHL level players? Podkolzin (he doesn't impress this season, though), Chinakhov, Amirov, Mukhamadullin, Askarov? Groshev doesn't progress, others don't even play regularly in the KHL.
1. How many usually are there and how is this year any less? If anything, 5 first-round picks on the Russian team is the best ever and even counting players who are usually on the KHL, as opposed to the VHL, rosters has to be one of the highest.

2. Depends on what you call "KHL-level player". Nikishin or Chistyakov are more legitimate KHL players than Mukhamadulin, for example. So what defines "KHL-level"? Was Dorofeyev, who has trouble doing anything meaningful in the VHL this year, a KHL-level player last year because he kinda sorta played regularly? On the other hand, is someone like Gritsyuk who is at PPG in his very limited VHL career and went close to PPG in the pre-season with Ava, not a KHL-level player? Just because Russia is moving more and more towards all their U20 player being owned by 5 teams that can't give them roster spots at the KHL doesn't define their level.

3. I'm not saying this is the best team ever or anything. The team does look fairly weak because so many of the core guys are 18. But it's wrong to say they are some kind of no-namers. Or, if you do consider them to be no-namers, that there is more of them than usual.

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I do not see Russia being a Gold Medal contender this year.

Their defence is very bad. One of the worst Defence they are sending for the WJC over the last 5 years at least.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Their defence is very bad. One of the worst Defence they are sending for the WJC over the last 5 years at least.
Easily better than 17/18 one and at least tied with 15/16. And the latter team went to the finals. And this one will have Askarov. So all in all, people are really jumping the gun with their far-reaching conclusions.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006

Do not see this at all. No fancy names like Provorov or Sergachyov, but I like the overall quality. I remember that like 10 years ago it was a problem even have enough quality defenders for a top-4. Now it's much better

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Do not see this at all. No fancy names like Provorov or Sergachyov, but I like the overall quality. I remember that like 10 years ago it was a problem even have enough quality defenders for a top-4. Now it's much better
If Nikishin is allowed to play, then it is a formidable squad with some toughness to it. Other than that, when did we have a worthy D except for the last WJC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad