Series Talk: 2021 Round 1 - Minnesota vs Vegas - Wild lose 4-3

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Just do the math he's not going to be given a spot over a vet that's battled all season long. What kind of message does that send?

"Perform or be replaced." I can't honestly say that Johansson, Bjugstad or Rask have performed well enough that I wouldn't be willing to give Boldy a look in lieu of them. Their effort level, attitude,grit, or whatever other subjective attributes they bring to the table don't matter, results do.

I wouldnt say I'm perplexed by Boldy not playing, just disappointed and continuing to question whether Guerin is a competent GM or just a former player who gets along great with the right people and interviews well.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Who are you taking out for boldy? Everyone is healthy. You gonna stick him 4th line and maybe a few seconds on PP? Nah.

You can't just say take out Rask at this point. It ain't happening. Hence he would only come in potentially if Fiala Kap Zucc Johansson can't play and even then you got a pissed off Parise sitting 13th man.

Just do the math he's not going to be given a spot over a vet that's battled all season long. What kind of message does that send? Not a good one.

Injury callup is a different story. Or a 0-3 start.
It sends the message that the Wild will do whatever they think gives them the best chance to win. Something that Guerin has been quoted as saying multiple times. Why are Kaprizov or Sturm playing at all this year?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It sends the message that the Wild will do whatever they think gives them the best chance to win. Something that Guerin has been quoted as saying multiple times. Why are Kaprizov or Sturm playing at all this year?
Why are the Wild playing at all this year?

why is the NHL playing at all this year?

Why are we even alive?!

Your question Has no bearing on the Boldy discussion. It’s easy to play hyperbole though.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like how Boldy is developing down in Iowa, and think it bodes well for him, and the main team, in the future. He is getting lots of minutes in offensive situations that he wouldn't get up in MPLS, and is developing chemistry with players of the future like Dewar, Addison, Beckman and Shaw.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I like how Boldy is developing down in Iowa, and think it bodes well for him, and the main team, in the future. He is getting lots of minutes in offensive situations that he wouldn't get up in MPLS, and is developing chemistry with players of the future like Dewar, Addison, Beckman and Shaw.

That’s a choice.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Johansson out for Boldy weeks ago was an easy decision and one that any team in the league would have made had they had a prospect the caliber of Boldy. Johansson has given this team next to nothing to write home about when he’s actually played and is currently dragging down you second player you need to produce to be a threat in the playoffs.

This team is currently playing Victor Rask, Nick Bonino, Marcus Johansson, and Ryan Hartman on their PPs. If you can’t find a spot for Boldy, you can understand if there are those who think you may be inept at your position.

Or Boldy is not the player/prospect you think he is.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
It’s clear that Evason and Guerin feel the chemistry of this group shouldn’t be messed with. They didn’t add anyone at the deadline and they haven’t brought up Boldy. I think they place a lot of value on that stuff and to be fair you rarely hear of a prospect being harmed by spending too much time seasoning in the AHL. I’d love to see Boldy in the Top 9 too but I see the FO prospective as well.

One thing I don’t like is the idea of Boldy jumping into the playoffs in Game 3 or 4 as a sparkplug. If we are taking the long route, take the long route.

Reactions: physicaIgraffiti

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It’s clear that Evason and Guerin feel the chemistry of this group shouldn’t be messed with. They didn’t add anyone at the deadline and they haven’t brought up Boldy. I think they place a lot of value on that stuff and to be fair you rarely hear of a prospect being harmed by spending too much time seasoning in the AHL. I’d love to see Boldy in the Top 9 too but I see the FO prospective as well.

One thing I don’t like is the idea of Boldy jumping into the playoffs in Game 3 or 4 as a sparkplug. If we are taking the long route, take the long route.
If adding a quality player to the lineup ruins the "locker room", then the guy that put that locker room together and the guy that runs that locker room, probably aren't very good at their jobs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only place that I see Boldy playing(that MIGHT benefit the team) now would be on the other wing from Fiala. Too many plays die on MoJo's and Rask/Hartman's stick right now. I could also see him being an asset on the #2 PP. Having said that, the adjustment period for Boldy both to the NHL and to his new team and linemates would probably be longer than the amount of time left in the season. We can't forget that there is a big talent gap between the NHL and the AHL, especially this year, when the AHL is diluted. There is no guarantee, or even a likelihood, that Boldy will be able to step in and be effective without a significant transition period. That is normal for a very young player, even talented ones. Guys like Zegras are not tearing up the league from the get go.

I've seen a lot of Boldy's AHL games this year. He is looking better and better as he adjusts to the league and his team. Originally I thought his skating was subpar, but now i think that it is actually pretty good, but with just a technique hole or two. I also thought he wasn't as strong on his skates as he could be, but more viewings have made me realize that he is actually reasonably strong, and likely to get quite a bit stronger in the the future. I see him as being more of a passive player physically who will be able to protect the puck and withstand hits in puck battles rather than an aggressive banger type. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall, though, he is a very good AHL player right now with all sorts of potential, but his skating and strength right now would be average at best in the NHL. He is not dominating the AHL physically, or with his speed. The sort of players that VGK have would rag doll him in puck battles, and he wouldn't have the speed to separate himself when he had the puck, or to be effective on a forecheck. He might be able to make some nice passes in small areas in the O zone, but again, there would be an adjustment period that could take weeks, as all the gaps are tighter, as is the reaction speed, as is the strength on sticks.

I have high hopes for him next year after going through a summer of training, and a full camp with the team.

I am as frustrated as everyone else with the play of Rask, Bjugstad, MoJo, and a couple of others, but bringing up Boldy prematurely might do more harm than good. It will also not help us fill the Center position, which IMO is the biggest problem we have.

Reactions: Wild4Cup

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It’s just interesting to see how over the years many posters on here think the Wild have previously rushed prospects.

Then when presented with the opportunity to let Boldy marinate in the AHL, they can’t possibly understand leaving him down there.

Every prospect is different but it’s amusing to see how quickly people’s opinions change.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
"Perform or be replaced." I can't honestly say that Johansson, Bjugstad or Rask have performed well enough that I wouldn't be willing to give Boldy a look in lieu of them. Their effort level, attitude,grit, or whatever other subjective attributes they bring to the table don't matter, results do.

I wouldnt say I'm perplexed by Boldy not playing, just disappointed and continuing to question whether Guerin is a competent GM or just a former player who gets along great with the right people and interviews well.
I can honestly say they have way more experience in spades and are certainly on this team if you like it or not. Just because some have had injuries and not enough time to find their spot and with who does not mean they deserved to be permanent replaced by a rookie doing well in a lesser league.

Parise not playing is a distraction clearly by suters comments. Adding another situation to that with Boldy puts him in a very awkward situation. It's not good for the locker room or himself and I don't care which ever way you slice it to make yourself feel better or like you're 100% right and our GM is 100% wrong lol.

Black ace and we are down a key top 6 player or two? Or down 0 - 2 or 3? Sure. But he's not just going to take anyone's spot at this moment. Throw a tantrum all day but this is reality.

I trust someone who has literally done the grind on both sides of this game and helped develop players when he was still playing and now who's running our team, not tears from fans.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Bonino is tied for 6th on the team in scoring. Did not expect to see that.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
It’s just interesting to see how over the years many posters on here think the Wild have previously rushed prospects.

Then when presented with the opportunity to let Boldy marinate in the AHL, they can’t possibly understand leaving him down there.

Every prospect is different but it’s amusing to see how quickly people’s opinions change.

I'm the only one pounding the table like an angry toddler for Boldy in the NHL, and to be clear, I'm not one of those that will say we rushed prospects in the past (though I didn't really follow the Wild under Risebrough). I think we just drafted poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad