2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He does not have a roster spot reserved for him. Assuming no trades or additions, he will battle Frost for that #3C spot...maybe Laughton too.

G Couts TK
JVR Hayes Farabee
Lindblom ???? Jake

If we don't lose a F in the ED, then we already have 3 guys fighing for 1 top 9 spot assuming everyone is healthy. No reservations.

There just is no "need" to ditch your #2 overall pick who plays C and will cost you less than 1 million. If he was making 3 million already, then year, it would be an issue.

There is very little downside to keeping Patrick and way more upside. Now, if we want to build a package for Eichel, go ahead and include him or Frost...don't care.
I didn't say there was necessarily a "need" to ditch Patrick, though I do believe sometimes you are better off cutting ties and moving on from certain situations. What I contend is that people shouldn't be against moving Patrick this summer (if that's what the Flyers decide) out of fear of "selling low."

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I didn't say there was necessarily a "need" to ditch Patrick, though I do believe sometimes you are better off cutting ties and moving on from certain situations. What I contend is that people shouldn't be against moving Patrick this summer (if that's what the Flyers decide) out of fear of "selling low."
In the end, guys like Lazar fetched a 3rd in the middle of a 1 point in 31 game season. Yak got a 3rd that could turn into a 3rd after a 23 point season.

No harm in waiting at all if the return today is the same as it will be next year(2nd/3rd).

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
In the end, guys like Lazar fetched a 3rd in the middle of a 1 point in 31 game season. Yak got a 3rd that could turn into a 3rd after a 23 point season.

No harm in waiting at all if the return today is the same as it will be next year(2nd/3rd).

I'm really not sure what I want to happen with Patrick, but the argument against waiting until next year is that the team needs immediate improvement now. We're sitting on a time bomb with Giroux and Couturier approaching UFA

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm really not sure what I want to happen with Patrick, but the argument against waiting until next year is that the team needs immediate improvement now. We're sitting on a time bomb with Giroux and Couturier approaching UFA
There also is the possibility the team thinks he will be a distraction and more trouble than he's worth. I don't *know* that, but it's a possibility, especially if it's true that he's unhappy and wants to be moved.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
again...it's not pinning all the hopes on Patrick. Frost is there too with top 6 upside. Laughton is the 3rd option "settle"....or if/when injuries occur.

As I said...make a deal for Eichel and Patrick or Frost can go as part of the package. But it makes NO SENSE to trade Patrick for a 3rd...then sign Eric Haula for 3-4 million for 4/5 years.

Reactions: Redpath

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA

The issue there is that a Patrick trade most likely wouldn't get you any immediate improvement, unless he was part of a bigger package deal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There also is the possibility the team thinks he will be a distraction and more trouble than he's worth. I don't *know* that, but it's a possibility, especially if it's true that he's unhappy and wants to be moved.
And if that is 100% true, then you leave him exposed and Seattle takes him and we keep our 60 point wingers instead.

Reactions: orangey

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The only reason you trade Patrick is if either 1) he absolutely refuses to play here, or 2) you trick another Fletcher-like GM into giving you a silly no-brainer return.

Otherwise you keep him and hope his scoring comes back. I don't know why this fanbase has to make everything so stupid and difficult.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
again...it's not pinning all the hopes on Patrick. Frost is there too with top 6 upside. Laughton is the 3rd option "settle"....or if/when injuries occur.

As I said...make a deal for Eichel and Patrick or Frost can go as part of the package. But it makes NO SENSE to trade Patrick for a 3rd...then sign Eric Haula for 3-4 million for 4/5 years.

Frost and Patrick are two sides of the same coin. They're two chances at a successful player, sure, but they aren't a successful player yet.

I'm not sure I would want to spend that kind of money on Haula (Or anyone in this scenario), but I don't see how it "makes no sense." Haula is an established NHL player without a huge question mark about his health. He'd immediately improve the team this summer vs betting on Patrick or Frost.

I'd rather see the money go elsewhere (Eichel, as you said), but I understand the argument in investing in an established Patrick replacement instead.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The issue there is that a Patrick trade most likely wouldn't get you any immediate improvement, unless he was part of a bigger package deal.

Well it opens up a roster spot, unless you're fine with acquiring a player separately and scratching Nolan for whoever that replacement is.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And if that is 100% true, then you leave him exposed and Seattle takes him and we keep our 60 point wingers instead.
That’s fine, but I also have to think the Flyers would greatly value an additional $7M or so in cap space. Which is why if it’s true that Patrick wants out & the team thinks he’d be a distraction, I’m not against trading him to Seattle in a deal that involves their taking JVR in the ED (again, assuming the Flyers think they can use that cap room to better address their needs).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

How can you lose with this logic? That’s negotiating from the high ground.

At least we still have reasonable people like Ch-

Premium assets and a super premium contract for “absolutely at least a good player” because the Flyers can’t be “left holding the bag” this off-season. What could go wrong?!

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
if "patty" comes to camp unhappy, for whatever the F reason .....let him sit.....

away from the team and drive any future salary demands into the toilet

He played 52 games, scratched for a few for not producing and trying to motivate him and he gave the Flyers 9 pts

and a M-I-N-U-S *30*

and he's unhappy and hires another agent .....soap opera status .....

proud of you "patty" :thumbd:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad