2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Did I just read that the Flyers haven't had a major roster change since 2011?

There's only 4 players remaining from the 2014-2015 roster :laugh:

Im assuming you’re just playing semantics here. The Flyers haven’t made a significant trade or free agent signing that added to their core since the Carter/Richards deals.

Every team in sports gets draft picks each year. You shouldn’t get credit for hitting on some draft picks over an 8 year span.

It was smart to reload the organization with young talent between 2013-2017-2018. At some point you need to identify what your core is missing and fill that hole. Look at all the contending teams from the last decade. They’ve all made 1-2 significant trades when their team was starting to contend.

It’s great that the team was able to take advantage of having a selke winner locked up at 4.3 million. Don’t worry though, Giroux and Voracek will continue to produce at elite levels for the next 5 years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're not going to trade for a younger G or Couts, you can trade for a Voracek (talented high cost veteran past his prime).
You can trade for a young Couts, before he breaks out, but you don't know IF he'll break out, and that's not a win now strategy.

The only trades that make sense are short-term veteran patches (Niskanen) or long-term value upgrades (young, cost controlled players).
The worst trades are for players on big contracts who are at their peak b/c in most cases you're gonna get the post-peak player at the peak performance salary cap hit, plus the assets you traded.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im assuming you’re just playing semantics here. The Flyers haven’t made a significant trade or free agent signing that added to their core since the Carter/Richards deals.

Every team in sports gets draft picks each year. You shouldn’t get credit for hitting on some draft picks over an 8 year span.

It was smart to reload the organization with young talent between 2013-2017-2018. At some point you need to identify what your core is missing and fill that hole. Look at all the contending teams from the last decade. They’ve all made 1-2 significant trades when their team was starting to contend.

It’s great that the team was able to take advantage of having a selke winner locked up at 4.3 million. Don’t worry though, Giroux and Voracek will continue to produce at elite levels for the next 5 years.
If he specifically meant trade or signing then he should've said that.

Regardless, he'd still be wrong.

Trading Schenn for 2 firsts is a significant trade.
Signing JVR and Hayes as UFAs are significant additions too.
There's a quick three off the top of my head.

Also, it's easy to say you need to identify what your core is missing and fill that hole, but, based on their own statements about what they think we need, the team clearly hasn't accurately figured that out and most of the fanbase hasn't either. I bet many of the people on here would still say our biggest needs are a sniper and a defensemen to play with Provorov, which is exactly my point.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I am 29 years old, I have 2 stick shift vehicles of my own, I learned how to drive stick shift on an incline down by the c&d canal, so idk what you're trying to accomplish with this picture but it doesn't work against me

Tried driving stick in a car a couple times.

It’s much easier on a motorcycle. The whole clutch control thing with my foot is weird.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Im going to chuckle though when it’s Konecny that’s dealt. Out of all the possible guys, it’s imperative the club look for reasons to trade it’s fastest skater.

Exciting identity being built in Philadelphia. Trying to model after Tampa, Vegas, or Colorado? Nonsense. The Islanders baby. That’s the perpetual gold standard.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im going to chuckle though when it’s Konecny that’s dealt. Out of all the possible guys, it’s imperative the club look for reasons to trade it’s fastest skater.

Exciting identity being built in Philadelphia. Trying to model after Tampa, Vegas, or Colorado? Nonsense. The Islanders baby. That’s the perpetual gold standard.
Maybe we can get Pitlick back to replace TK.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I mean, even the Isles have some guys that can scoot with Barzal and Beauvillier.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I mean, even the Isles have some guys that can scoot with Barzal and Beauvillier.

Thankfully, the Flyers have seemingly till now chosen to run with a molasses center core of Couturier, Hayes and Patrick.

Im ready to turn on Coots. Crazy I know - but I don’t want a mega deal there. Will likely change my mind back and forth but I’m not committing to some naive window of apparent contention. There isn’t one.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If he specifically meant trade or signing then he should've said that.

Regardless, he'd still be wrong.

Trading Schenn for 2 firsts is a significant trade.
Signing JVR and Hayes as UFAs are significant additions too.
There's a quick three off the top of my head.

Also, it's easy to say you need to identify what your core is missing and fill that hole, but, based on their own statements about what they think we need, the team clearly hasn't accurately figured that out and most of the fanbase hasn't either. I bet many of the people on here would still say our biggest needs are a sniper and a defensemen to play with Provorov, which is exactly my point.

Trading Schenn for 1sts is the opposite of adding to your core. Again though, I wasn’t opposed to making moves like that at the time. However, it shouldn’t take a decade to become an annual playoff team.

Hayes and JVR aren’t significant pieces. We can agree to disagree there.

Chicago: Hossa
LA: Richards/Carter
Pittsburgh: Kessel
Washington: Oshie
St. Louis: Schenn/O’Rielly
Tampa: McDonagh/Sergachev

An addition of that caliber was needed these past 2 years. If you weren’t trying to win a Stanley cup until 2025 this entire time, I’m not sure why you haven’t been advocating moving 28/93 these past few years.

Reactions: tucson83

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I am 29 years old, I have 2 stick shift vehicles of my own, I learned how to drive stick shift on an incline down by the c&d canal, so idk what you're trying to accomplish with this picture but it doesn't work against me

You know, every generation thinks the previous generation was too rigid and the next generation is too soft.

In reality, it's just the march of time (progress?).

People confuse "better" with "meaningful to me" and try to argue like it's some objective truth.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trading Schenn for 1sts is the opposite of adding to your core. Again though, I wasn’t opposed to making moves like that at the time. However, it shouldn’t take a decade to become an annual playoff team.

Hayes and JVR aren’t significant pieces. We can agree to disagree there.

Chicago: Hossa
LA: Richards/Carter
Pittsburgh: Kessel
Washington: Oshie
St. Louis: Schenn/O’Rielly
Tampa: McDonagh/Sergachev

An addition of that caliber was needed these past 2 years. If you weren’t trying to win a Stanley cup until 2025 this entire time, I’m not sure why you haven’t been advocating moving 28/93 these past few years.
Whether you consider them significant pieces or not, they were given significant contracts so clearly the team thought they were significant additions.

And Schenn wasn't an addition, but he didn't specifically say addition, he said change. It's basically the same concent as the Richards/Carter trades, which was the reason for the 2011 cutoff. A known for lesser-unknowns.

Also no idea what you're talking about at the end. Be "you" do you mean me? If yes, I had nothing to do with this conversation at all you have no idea what I would or wouldn't do if it were up to me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thankfully, the Flyers have seemingly till now chosen to run with a molasses center core of Couturier, Hayes and Patrick.

Im ready to turn on Coots. Crazy I know - but I don’t want a mega deal there. Will likely change my mind back and forth but I’m not committing to some naive window of apparent contention. There isn’t one.

This is less stupid and has some logic behind it lol

Reactions: Kelmitchell2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad