2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm thinking that Manson sits dead centre in my Venn diagram of (potentially) strong top-4 defensive Dman who shouldn't cost a truckload by a team going into a tear-down, and whose new deal shouldn't be what the Joneses will be demanding. Depending on his health, it's a low risk / modest reward deal that has a much lower potential than most possible moves to make me go (as demonstrated by my franchise celebrity):

iu

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Every team should be lining up to take advantage of Chuck this summer. A guy who hemorrhages value even when not under the gun. Can’t imagine with some desperation added to the mix.

I’m so apathetic I don’t even care anymore if this moron destroys the team.

Huh, what? Exactly what value has he hemorrhaged here?

2nd and 3rd for Braun that helped get to the second round for the first time in almost a decade. Then a trade down to recoup the 2nd at the draft.
4th and next year's 5th for Grant and Thompson?
But a 4th for Simmonds and a 5th and 7th for Raffl and Gus.

Didn't sign Kalynuk?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking that Manson sits dead centre in my Venn diagram of (potentially) strong top-4 defensive Dman who shouldn't cost a truckload by a team going into a tear-down, and whose new deal shouldn't be what the Joneses will be demanding. Depending on his health, it's a low risk / modest reward deal that has a much lower potential than most possible moves to make me go (as demonstrated by my franchise celebrity):

iu

I was actually surprised Manson wasn’t moved at this past deadline. But Anaheim didn’t move Rakell either.

Didn’t really read much into then & haven’t since then but I guess the ask was too high with a year plus of control on both of them.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jackson Cates wasn't signed to lure his brother, he was signed because he had a pretty solid college career.
He steadily improved in the USHL, then in college, 14 points in 39 games, 23 points in 29 games, 27 points in 28 games.
That was on M-Duluth, not known as an offensive powerhouse.
He's a good defender, can skate, has some offensive chops

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

iu
Manson supposedly is very well-liked by Anaheim management.

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

iu

I want Manson. I also want Hamilton. Gimme both this summer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JCates is the new Vecchione. Not sure why he keeps coming up.

He looks better to me than Vecchione, who was your typical college then AHL scorer who lacked the athleticism for the NHL.
Cates didn't look overwhelmed in his NHL cameo. Though he could use some AHL time.
He's 4th line fodder, but so are most of your picks after 100.

Reactions: Math the wild rose

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Manson supposedly is very well-liked by Anaheim management.

Hush, you.

Seriously, though, I have read the same and expect it to take a generous offer. Not a Jones or Eichel generous offer, mind you. And Fletcher would need time to speak with Manson's agent and make sure he could resign him for an acceptable contract.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I have liked Larsson for a little bit now. Good skater sold instincts. Won't cost you overly much in cap or term. Not the sexiest move but a solid player to improve the team.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I hate being a Flyers fan so much during this time. Fletch willing to overhaul a roster for AV and his dope sidekicks is so dumb. It's going to be a shit show.

At the widest of vantage points, I want Fletcher to be listening to offers on every one of his players, including Farabee. He can't take the HF Rumours approach of trying to get every coveted player with the same Ryder, Halak, and an 2nd. BUT butbutbutbutbut, the return that would make him seriously consider dealing a Couturier or Giroux would have to be an astronomical overpay. This isn't a yard sale inviting other GMs with pocketsfull of loose change.

The above is absolutely dependent on a shrewd GM being able to maximize value and exploit another team's oversight or disenchantment with someone who could help the Flyers.

The other side of the coin, though, is that it seems to me like Fletcher firing a popgun across the bow of the "underperforming" lineup in another narrative-fitting statement. Wow, he would be willing to trade Hart??? Even Giroux??? Golly gee, boys, let's gather up our grade C prospects, mid-round picks, and a hefty cap dump and go a-callin'!

Nobody should give a moment's thought that an honest-to-goodness blockbuster will go down. He may well end up overpaying for a top 4 RHD and can be expected to dump a problem child or two, but the biggest move will likely be who gets claimed by Seattle. I do want to be surprised -- pleasantly surprised -- but I'll keep expectations down to a couple of underwhelming improvements rather than a big step back through significant overpayment / regression at a position for the sake of change / cap crisis / all of the above. Cynic that I am as a fifth-generation Flyers fancier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->