2021 Roster Thread XV - Where everyone is in agreement about what is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Evans, the new agent:

“I’m just at the stage now where I’m compiling information and trying to ascertain what ‘s happened in the past,” Evans said. “Once we get that figured all out, then we’ll have a plan for the future. It involves me speaking with Chuck [Fletcher, the Flyers general manager].” [...]

“At the end of the day, Philadelphia retains his rights. He’s s Group 2 free agent, so the Flyers determine ultimately what happens with his rights,” Evans said. “I’m sure we’ll have further discussions with Chuck about the whole situation. But I would like everybody to take a deep breath at the end of the year, and we’ll work from there.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Have you checked NP’s family pedigree in sports? If he didn’t want to play, he wouldn’t. He knows what it takes to compete at high levels. Probably his desire to succeed is what has driven him to play when he shouldn’t have in the past. If some want to write him off as a dog, they can do that. People see/believe what they want to see/believe.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
But it's not simply media rumors. It's also that he's already on his third agent, and this new agent didn't deny that he'd be asking for a trade. He rather conspicuously dodged the question.

I include "an entire missed season" as part of my portrait of Patrick's lack of passion because it is congruent with the lack of passion he's exhibited on the ice and in interviews. If Patrick were known for passionate play, then the missed season would seem like an outlier. Instead, it seems completely fitting for his personality. I'm not questioning his medical diagnosis; I'm certainly no doctor and I don't know the details, regardless. I just know that it always seems like there's some kind of issue with this guy, apparently dating back to his junior days, and the missed season doesn't do anything to change my feeling that he's not the most motivated, passionate hockey player, even if it isn't his fault.

Thanks for your answer.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Have you checked NP’s family pedigree in sports? If he didn’t want to play, he wouldn’t. He knows what it takes to compete at high levels. Probably his desire to succeed is what has driven him to play when he shouldn’t have in the past. If some want to write him off as a dog, they can do that. People see/believe what they want to see/believe.
And NP himself said he knows this is the most important offseason of his life. He knows what's at stake. And the Flyers should 100% be wanting to be the beneficiary of that offseason work.

Sign him to a 1 year deal like last one and give him the chance to prove his offseason work has paid off. And if it doesn't, we have Frost....then Laughton as a 3rd option.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And NP himself said he knows this is the most important offseason of his life. He knows what's at stake. And the Flyers should 100% be wanting to be the beneficiary of that offseason work.

Sign him to a 1 year deal like last one and give him the chance to prove his offseason work has paid off. And if it doesn't, we have Frost....then Laughton as a 3rd option.

Maybe even give him some bonus incentives for hitting certain production milestones.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe even give him some bonus incentives for hitting certain production milestones.
I don't think you can on RFA contracts...only ELC or UFA

I could be wrong...but think I am right. Because EVERYONE would have them, if not.

And again...he got paid a whole season for not playing and one for playing bad. It's ok if he outplays his contract for 1 year.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
maybe ol "patty" could summon some strength to give his Uncle Jim a call and ask advice

James Patrick played over 1200 games in the NHL .....maybe he could "toughen" his nephew up .....

then again :rolleyes:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd love to see half the people here questioning his dedication deal with Patty's condition at its peak for even a month. I can almost guarantee you wouldn't even be lacing up skates, let alone trying to compete in the world's best hockey league.

As miserable as some of you people are, I wouldn't wish this condition on any of you, and that's saying a lot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
maybe ol "patty" could summon some strength to give his Uncle Jim a call and ask advice

James Patrick played over 1200 games in the NHL .....maybe he could "toughen" his nephew up .....

Are you just a f***ing idiot, or a troll?

Migraines are not something to "toughen" up to play thru.

Educate yourself, you look like a dumbass.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

There is absolutely no downside to qualifying Patrick for another year. Worst case, he elects not to sign and forces a trade.

Best case, he outperforms his contract and gets his NHL game on track.

If Fletch moves him as part of a package that makes the team better (say, Eichel), then great! But no need to actively just try and get rid of him.

I don't think he could possibly be any worse than last season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Supposedly his uncle would frequently go over film of his games with him. Frankly, Nolan Patrick gives off the vibe of a resentful product of an overbearing sports family.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Anyone who has been around sports their whole lives has seen it many times. The athlete with an overbearing sports-obsessed parent or family who push the kid to death and it becomes a chore rather than fun. Patrick gives off all of those vibes, from my experience. Reading about his many phone calls and practice sessions with his uncle only served to reinforce my suspicions. Just a feeling I get based on experience, before people try to put words in my mouth and act like I'm making an ironclad assertion.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If anything, the fact that he's related to James Patrick would lead you to give him the benefit of the doubt, or maybe even for extreme cases, lead you to assume that the things people tell you about how horrible migraines are have merit.

Nonsense Dave. All I had to do was spend 12 hours a day in a gym with excruciatingly painful bright lights, and push myself to near death levels of fatigue so that I didnt have to actually experience the 17,000 cannons that were firing inside my head against my temples.

Oh, and the days I woke up and couldn't see? Or couldn't move an entire side of my body because my blood vessels had constricted? I just had to work harder. It was just about my effort level.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Nonsense Dave. All I had to do was spend 12 hours a day in a gym with excruciatingly painful bright lights, and push myself to near death levels of fatigue so that I didnt have to actually experience the 17,000 cannons that were firing inside my head against my temples.

Oh, and the days I woke up and couldn't see? Or couldn't move an entire side of my body because my blood vessels had constricted? I just had to work harder. It was just about my effort level.

I bet you totally wore a skirt, too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Judging someone's work ethic based on how they look on the ice is a tricky thing to do.

Once again the Carter saga is instructive. He was labelled lazy because he was a highly efficient skater. Turns out he wasn't lazy, he was just good and made things look easy.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case with Patrick. Whatever is going on, he was in over his head even when he was doing all the little things you wouldn't expect a lazy player to do. It's easy and amusing to slam him during games when he's sloppy, but crucifying his personality outside the moment? Ew.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't think Patrick should go anywhere without a good return. Epitome of selling-low and he has zero leverage.
So should the Flyers not look to upgrade their third-line center position out of fear that they'd be selling low on Patrick?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Evans, the new agent:

“I’m just at the stage now where I’m compiling information and trying to ascertain what ‘s happened in the past,” Evans said. “Once we get that figured all out, then we’ll have a plan for the future. It involves me speaking with Chuck [Fletcher, the Flyers general manager].” [...]

“At the end of the day, Philadelphia retains his rights. He’s s Group 2 free agent, so the Flyers determine ultimately what happens with his rights,” Evans said. “I’m sure we’ll have further discussions with Chuck about the whole situation. But I would like everybody to take a deep breath at the end of the year, and we’ll work from there.

Evans just can't PhotoShop well enough to get his point (so to speak) across.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->