2021 Roster discussion part 4: Who? The Kids Are Alright or Odds and Sods.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Didn't eichel say this last year, or when he signed the extension?

Not just Eichel, but Reinhart has also made comments about being committed to turning things around here just a year or two ago, so did Risto

What changed? Constant losing and clueless ownership not only continuing to meddle but actively making things worse by stripping the front office down and replacing them with inexperienced stooges

It's only a matter of time before Dahlin, Cozens, and whatever other young talent is left on the team demands out when things are still the same five years from now

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My plan:

First move: Eichel to LA. Makes sense for LA as long as they don't give up Byfield. Add Ristolainen to the deal. He's a LA type of heavy player they'd need to a playoff run. And he's pending UFA, so if it doesn't work, no issues flipping him at the deadline. The Kings have about $20M to play with, so the cap won't play into this move much. LA can begin their playoff push next season, with Eichel, without gutting the team. Buffalo can add key players to the current core, which played well down the stretch. The players that LA has are the type Buffalo wants. This also helps Buffalo for the expansion draft. LA has room to protect Eichel, and Seattle isn't taking Ristolainen.

Eichel and Ristolainen to LA for Turcotte, Vilardi, Bjornfot, 2021 1st, 2022 1st

Second Move
: 2021 3rd rounder (Florida) to Washington for Vanecek. Caps can't protect him, Buffalo can. Seems like a pretty simple pre-ED move.

Expansion Draft:
Forwards: Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Olofsson, Thompson, Asplund, Bjork, Skinner
Defense: Dahlin, Jokiharju, Borgen
Goaltender: Vanecek

Exposed (with term left): Okposo, Eakin, Girgensons, Miller, Toharski. No real loses among that group. I expect a choice between Miller and Girgensons. Miller is probably the choice, with Botterill in Seattle.

Third Move: Reinhart established himself as a top 6 center who can produce in the worst of situations. That's going to command more attention than I think fans think. Imagine you were a GM of another team, looking at Reinhart. On wing? Produces. Center? Produces. Good teammates? Produces and makes them better. Average to bad teammates? Still produces. He's got a Brayden Schenn trajectory, and he's at the point Philly traded him to St. Louis. The Blues switched him to center full time, and he's anchored their second line for a Cup team.

Calgary is a good landing spot for Reinhart. They've got Monahan and Backlund, but that's not getting them anywhere. The easy answer is to trade Gaudreau and Monahan, but they need someone to backfill Monahan before they make a move. Calgary might move Monahan for Reinhart, but that's more of a lateral move. They'd be better off landing Reinhart, then moving Gaudreau (Philly) to fill in the gaps. For Calgary to make this work, it's probably a futures deal for Buffalo.

Reinhart to Calgary for Connor Zary, Jacob Pelletier, and 2022 1st.

Draft:
1a: Matthew Beniers, C, Michigan. The no-brainer move. With the way Adams is building the roster, you couldn't draw up a better two way center who fits the line-up.
1b: Fyodor Svechkov, C, Ladia Togliatti (MHL and VHL). Superb two way ability who does all the little things right. No flashy but the kind of player who anchors a 3rd line for a Cup winner.
2a: Tyler Boucher, LW/RW, USA U18 (USHL). Tom Wilson-lite without the d-baggery.

Draft Day trade: 2021 2nd round pick (Boston) to NJ for Miles Wood. The Sabres need someone in the line-up to play at the net and bring some toughness.

Free Agency: Sabres lineup looks like they've got two big needs: Goaltender, Defense.

Goaltender: Ullmark is the add as a goaltender. He loves it in Buffalo, loves the support he's been given, and seems organizationally loyal. I'd also re-sign Houser as Rochester's goaltender as the back-up plan, since Ullmark is injury prone.

Defense: I'm really not interested in making a splash at RHD and pulling in a Dougie Hamilton. I'd much rather let the kids develop. He probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo either. I'd rather make a small, short term move here, adding a safe, defensive minded player (or two). So I'm good with adding Brendan Smith. Short term deal, dependable, easy to add into the roster and easy to move if a kid takes a spot.

Opening Night Line-up
Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson
Skinner - Cozens - Ruotsalainen
Bjork - Vilardi - Olofsson
Wood - Girgensons - Okposo
x Eakin, Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Samuelsson - Smith
Bryson - Borgen
x Bjornfot

Ullmark, Vanecek

The key to this isn't who is one the roster... it's who's not on the roster and coming.

Center: Turcotte, Beniers, Zary, Svechkov
Winger: Pelletier, Quinn, Boucher, Pekar, Huglen, Weissbach, Rousek, Biro
Defense: Johnson, Laaksonen, Fitzgerald
Goaltender: Luukanen, Portillo

The opening night line-up is a pain-in-the-a$$ team to play because of their speed, forechecking, and puck movement skills. Then start adding in players like Turcotte and UPL as the season progresses. Quinn, Johnson, Zary, and Beniers could also play their way onto this team.

This is the re-start I'd want. Solid, young NHL line-up with a ton of kids coming.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo

giphy.webp

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
My plan:

First move: Eichel to LA. Makes sense for LA as long as they don't give up Byfield. Add Ristolainen to the deal. He's a LA type of heavy player they'd need to a playoff run. And he's pending UFA, so if it doesn't work, no issues flipping him at the deadline. The Kings have about $20M to play with, so the cap won't play into this move much. LA can begin their playoff push next season, with Eichel, without gutting the team. Buffalo can add key players to the current core, which played well down the stretch. The players that LA has are the type Buffalo wants. This also helps Buffalo for the expansion draft. LA has room to protect Eichel, and Seattle isn't taking Ristolainen.

Eichel and Ristolainen to LA for Turcotte, Vilardi, Bjornfot, 2021 1st, 2022 1st

Second Move
: 2021 3rd rounder (Florida) to Washington for Vanecek. Caps can't protect him, Buffalo can. Seems like a pretty simple pre-ED move.

Expansion Draft:

Exposed (with term left): Okposo, Eakin, Girgensons, Miller, Toharski. No real loses among that group. I expect a choice between Miller and Girgensons. Miller is probably the choice, with Botterill in Seattle.

Third Move: Reinhart established himself as a top 6 center who can produce in the worst of situations. That's going to command more attention than I think fans think. Imagine you were a GM of another team, looking at Reinhart. On wing? Produces. Center? Produces. Good teammates? Produces and makes them better. Average to bad teammates? Still produces. He's got a Brayden Schenn trajectory, and he's at the point Philly traded him to St. Louis. The Blues switched him to center full time, and he's anchored their second line for a Cup team.

Calgary is a good landing spot for Reinhart. They've got Monahan and Backlund, but that's not getting them anywhere. The easy answer is to trade Gaudreau and Monahan, but they need someone to backfill Monahan before they make a move. Calgary might move Monahan for Reinhart, but that's more of a lateral move. They'd be better off landing Reinhart, then moving Gaudreau (Philly) to fill in the gaps. For Calgary to make this work, it's probably a futures deal for Buffalo.

Draft:
1a: Matthew Beniers, C, Michigan. The no-brainer move. With the way Adams is building the roster, you couldn't draw up a better two way center who fits the line-up.
1b: Fyodor Svechkov, C, Ladia Togliatti (MHL and VHL). Superb two way ability who does all the little things right. No flashy but the kind of player who anchors a 3rd line for a Cup winner.
2a: Tyler Boucher, LW/RW, USA U18 (USHL). Tom Wilson-lite without the d-baggery.

Draft Day trade: 2021 2nd round pick (Boston) to NJ for Miles Wood. The Sabres need someone in the line-up to play at the net and bring some toughness.

Free Agency: Sabres lineup looks like they've got two big needs: Goaltender, Defense.

Goaltender: Ullmark is the add as a goaltender. He loves it in Buffalo, loves the support he's been given, and seems organizationally loyal. I'd also re-sign Houser as Rochester's goaltender as the back-up plan, since Ullmark is injury prone.

Defense: I'm really not interested in making a splash at RHD and pulling in a Dougie Hamilton. I'd much rather let the kids develop. He probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo either. I'd rather make a small, short term move here, adding a safe, defensive minded player (or two). So I'm good with adding Brendan Smith. Short term deal, dependable, easy to add into the roster and easy to move if a kid takes a spot.

Opening Night Line-up
x Eakin, Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Samuelsson - Smith
Bryson - Borgen
x Bjornfot

Ullmark, Vanecek

The key to this isn't who is one the roster... it's who's not on the roster and coming.

The opening night line-up is a pain-in-the-a$$ team to play because of their speed, forechecking, and puck movement skills. Then start adding in players like Turcotte and UPL as the season progresses. Quinn, Johnson, Zary, and Beniers could also play their way onto this team.

This is the re-start I'd want. Solid, young NHL line-up with a ton of kids coming.

I would rather deal with the Rangers if that is the offer from LA. Rangers are dumb enough to overpay.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Not just Eichel, but Reinhart has also made comments about being committed to turning things around here just a year or two ago, so did Risto

What changed? Constant losing and clueless ownership not only continuing to meddle but actively making things worse by stripping the front office down and replacing them with inexperienced stooges

It's only a matter of time before Dahlin, Cozens, and whatever other young talent is left on the team demands out when things are still the same five years from now
It would take something seriously bad for Dahlin to want out. If the team gives him half the confidence and responsibility Eichel received he'll give everything to pay back with his on ice performance.

The kid survived Housley and Krueger.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I would rather deal with the Rangers if that is the offer from LA. Rangers are dumb enough to overpay.

If you think that's a low ball offer, which I don't, I can easily see the Kings adding their 2022 1st - especially after what GMs and Exec's said in LeBrun's article. The Kings won't contend for the top draft choice.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
My plan:

Second Move

Expansion Draft:

Draft:

Opening Night Line-up
x Eakin, Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Samuelsson - Smith
Bryson - Borgen
x Bjornfot

Ullmark, Vanecek

If I am trading both Eichel and Reinhart this year I would look at getting a more experienced center or make a deal for P Kane

Thats why Id rather hold onto to Eichel till next offseason and give Cozens and Mitts more time under their belt and not need a true 1C vs gettting a vet center who isnt a 1C like Copp.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Detroit has cap space and I've seen offers to move Larkin+ for Eicbel. Don't know why they arent a more obvious fit than Minny/Calgary/Philly etal
Maybe because they're in the division? Eichel has killed Detroit over the years, so I'm sure they'd love to get him. It'd take Larkin and another really good piece IMO.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I am trading both Eichel and Reinhart this year I would look at getting a more experienced center or make a deal for P Kane

Thats why Id rather hold onto to Eichel till next offseason and give Cozens and Mitts more time under their belt and not need a true 1C vs gettting a vet center who isnt a 1C like Copp.

I don't hold onto Eichel a moment longer than needed.

Mittelstadt showed he can handle top 6 center duties, and Cozens looks like he can too.

Kane isn't coming to Buffalo.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

you’re silly not to think that offer from LA is good. All three of those kids will have an impact on the league, especially Turcotte

Rangers dont have centers

If Eichel and Reinhart are traded centers need to be coming back.

The deals ive sseen from Rangers are spare parts traded.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

The two trades I proposed, combining Eichel and Reinhart deals, have Turcotte, Zary, and Vilardi coming to Buffalo.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't know about anyone else but I am excited to be moving on and trading Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen. I don't have faith in that core anymore. I'm more excited for Cozens and Dahlin, Mittlestadt as well and whatever futures Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen bring.

The old core has gotten stale.

Reactions: ClassicBusiness

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My plan:

I don't think we can take ALL futures back for Eichel, which is what this is. It's a huge package of maybes. I also think Seattle easily picks Risto if he's exposed so he's likely of zero value to LA if they can't protect him.

Second Move

That's fine.

Expansion Draft:

So in the fantansy world you get JUST huge futures for Eichel, utilize your warchest of picks to go get NHL help and don't waste protection spots on Asplund and TT. These are borderine NHLers long term.

More futures? Get a NHL player back

Draft:

Opening Night Line-up
x Eakin, Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Samuelsson - Smith
Bryson - Borgen
x Bjornfot

Ullmark, Vanecek

Can I just say, this is without a doubt, the worst lineup in the NHL. You won't be able to score consistently, and the defense is a turnstile. You should start hiring a team of team psychiatrists to deal with the PTSD you are going to inflict on the goaltenders. I also think you have serious cap floor issues with that roster. You might as well tarp the 300s over to get ad revenue because the turnout for that team is going to be Atlanta Thrasher level bad. And find someone different in goal, because no self respecting UFA goalie is signing up to play behind all of ~that~

You want to fill up the barn with prospects....that's fine. I'd rather take prospects than picks given our immediate needs and lack of a fleshed out scouting staff.

You cannot ice that lineup though. You can't just keep tearing down and hope a bunch of kids will come to save us. We tried that, it doesn't work. Start building a culture of accountability and have some on ice success, even if its not a contending team. Take on some salary dumps, find more players that are falling through the expansion cracks and get legit, proven NHL players back for Eichel/Reinhart.

Reactions: BloFan4Life

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don't know about anyone else but I am excited to be moving on and trading Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen. I don't have faith in that core anymore. I'm more excited for Cozens and Dahlin, Mittlestadt as well and whatever futures Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen bring.

The old core has gotten stale.

lmao

Risto is 26, Reinhart is 25, Eichel is 24

"old core"

These are guys in their prime and as ROR and Taylor Hall have shown by going back to or exceeding their historical production, it's not the players that are the problem

Five years from now, people will be talking about how glad they are to move on from Dahlin and Cozens because they're "losers" and "couldn't accomplish anything," they'll immediately go on to become key pieces to whichever team is lucky enough to acquire them, just like ROR, Hall, and soon-to-be Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto

A hockey club run like a circus act and easily fooled fans are a terrible combo

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Don't need centers back. I'll roll with Mitts and Cozens as the top two. There is zero doubt in my mind, you could get the Rangers to trade Laf and Kakko. I'm taking those two over any package out there, at the moment. Then draft Beniers to add a center to the pipeline.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->