Red Sox/MLB 2021 Regular Season V - Jerry Remy stepping away from broadcasts to undergo lung cancer treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-7-25_18-8-1.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
October 2, 1978 at Fenway Park

The Boston Red Sox broadcast on WITS AM 1510. (this tape was recorded off a Red Sox network station in Newton, Iowa)
Ned Martin and Jim Woods with the call.

Woods and Martin worked together from 1974 through 1978. By his own admission, Woods toned down his style considerably from his days in Pittsburgh, believing that Red Sox fans preferred their announcers to be more restrained.

Despite their popularity, both were fired by the team's flagship radio station, WITS, in the aftermath of Boston's playoff defeat at the hands of Bucky Dent and the Yankees in 1978 for not cooperating fully with the team's radio sponsors. Martin remained in Boston, moving over to the TV side of Red Sox broadcasts. Although he left Martin, Boston and the Red Sox behind, Woods also switched to television, moving to USA Network. His final play-by-play announcing stint was for The USA Thursday Game of the Week. Woods would remain with USA until Eddie Doucette replaced him in 1982.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So we definitely symbolically ended the Yankees tonight, didn't we?

IT'S JULY

I don’t care how bad the Yankees are, they are NEVER dead & buried until they are mathematically eliminated.

And even then, you still have to be careful that they don’t play spoiler and take you down with them. Only the Montreal Canadiens are more diabolical.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
With MLB making the idiotic decision to not keep the 7 inning double headers or the extra inning rule...does that mean we will also never see the much needed pitch clock?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Jud Fabian isn't signing. Teams behind the Sox mention 3mill. Sox will only go 2. Kid don't wanna sign.

Ugh

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sox supposedly have an offer out to the Cubs for Rizzo.

Curious what the Cubs would be looking for as a return

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don’t care how bad the Yankees are, they are NEVER dead & buried until they are mathematically eliminated.

And even then, you still have to be careful that they don’t play spoiler and take you down with them. Only the Montreal Canadiens are more diabolical.

Was listening on the car radio to Sox-Yankees (early 90s?) when the Yankees seemed to have lost but an umpire called time before the pitch on the last out. Sox announcer gave the "ball game is over Sox win 3-2...wait". Sure enough, two batters later, Sox lose 4-3.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
no biggie, they’ll get the 41st pick next season and sign an extra high school kid

The one way this gets interesting is if they sign a qualified free agent in the fall. I'm pretty sure they'd lose that 41st pick instead of their own 2nd from next year. I think that could end up being a difference of $700k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad