2021 QMJHL Draft

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
My understanding from my discussion with some of local coaches is that high school hockey will follow the general guidance by the provincial hockey bodies. ie. they will not be under a different set of rules - unless school was also cancelled in which case if we get to that unfortunate state likely we will see everything shut down again. Lets hope things go well.

Reactions: ATLHockeywatcher

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I heard around the rink that C. Squires is not going state side this coming year so he will be trying Magor Midget Charlottetown or go to the Mount on PEI. Depending on how he fits in the Charlottetown Knights roster may make he's decession for him I figure. It wont be easy to make either teams top two lines with the talent coming to both camps this year. All the best to him on his decission as it will not be easy one to make.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
He will play Knights and most likely top Line, That team will roll 4 solid lines every night and have that mix of High Skill with some grit, Very intrigued by this league next season. Fingers crossed we get to see it sooner then later!

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I would be very surprised to see Squires go to the mount...Knights will be very good this year and he will have a place to play, top line or second line, he will easily fit into a nice role with their team. It is for this very reason like this that the Knights will vote down any decision to bring the Mount into the NB/PEI U18 league....recruiting their top prospects, hard to make friends that way.

Reactions: HkyFan202

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Anyone see him lately, if he took a growing spurt in the last 6-7 months or so. I looked up his brother and stats and he is at 6'2" tall. C.Squires will grow, looking at his brothers size, just wondering if that happened. Would be nice since he has the scoring at the Bantam level down pat.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
I would be very surprised to see Squires go to the mount...Knights will be very good this year and he will have a place to play, top line or second line, he will easily fit into a nice role with their team. It is for this very reason like this that the Knights will vote down any decision to bring the Mount into the NB/PEI U18 league....recruiting their top prospects, hard to make friends that way.
I don’t think Mount or other private school teams will be voted into the league this year and that’s unfortunate in my opinion. An opportunity to add 3-4 teams and spruce things up a bit. I would think playing a 6 team league all season would get a bit boring. Even if the schools were just included as Exhibition in the schedule. The one thing that will keep them out is exactly the “stealing local talent” thought. “Recruiting local talent” I’m sure there are many reasons a kid may choose to play elsewhere but maybe some teams should figure out why kids are leaving verses holding grudges against where they go. Non the less they will all play somewhere this season, when and where will come in time. May be good for some kids to change coaching scenes. Some for the kid them selves and some for others to see the kid playing in a different environment.

Reactions: HkyTalk

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
The Mounts team is a team of 2005. They will not be a strong team and I think the league will come around and allow them to compete. I don’t think the teams will focus on the competition for local players really such that they hold a grudge but rather they would worry about being consistently beat by them such that it hurts the rep of the team. For me I want to see more 2005s and some 2004s and them joining the
League helps with that.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Well, great points from both sides. It would be nice to have a couple other teams in the league, is this the answer, not sure. It maybe the only way the Major Midget League grows and why should any hockey enthusiast say no to growth in a sport that complements itself on strength of League and teams within. Last year the Mount only had 2 PEI players on their team and the 2 could of played in their respected Minor Hockey teams but for various reasons unknown went to Private Schools and played with them. I'm sure for those two it was nice to have another option to play competitive hockey. I believe we are fortunate to have a second choice for players in our region that are looking for different coaching styles and atmosphere to keep them interested in a sport that they love to play. Competition is what we all are interested in, win or lose, we need both to happen to develop young players minds and body.
On a same note, if they were to get the okay, a island draft maybe needed so as players like to flip flop to play on a winning team, don't switch from year to year. Although, as I say that I am in favor in player choice and sign on a team and stay there for the duration and if needing a transfer, have HPEI review reasons and sign off on any release that has merit.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Yes, Pilgrim is a very good player, just so many players are having great starts to the season and with him being injured, only playing 6-7 games so far this year it is hard to put him up there right now. He will rise as the season goes on for sure!

Honestly Martin is very good, really came down to numbers but he is also right there as a top 5-6 dman in atlantic canada.

Arsenault is having a great year, but look at most of his points , they are either passing to squires or getting a pass from squires. Not taking anything away from him at all! Great power behind his shot, smooth skater, I have watched PEI teams play quite a bit recently actually and his hockey IQ can improve, as well as moving the puck more often/ quicker. Disclaimer a game I was at (probably 2 weeks ago now?) He ended up having 5 points and I think he was actually only in on one maybe two of the goals... Not sure if it is a ref mistake or if the player is telling the ref... It is becoming more of a problem in our game I find.

NFLD has some players that I like and they play the game hard, just hard for me to see them as much as I travel mostly through NB, NS and just don't get to see NFLD teams as much. Nothing against them at all! Noah King is a kid who I have heard is having a great start to his season and is on the rise.
On that team you will see a lot of GHOST points as Mngrs and Coaches add points to the score sheets as a common practice. Most noticable when B. Arsenault was hurt with a bone bruise and didn't play and in the local Newspaper reported him getting 3 Assist.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
On that team you will see a lot of GHOST points as Mngrs and Coaches add points to the score sheets as a common practice. Most noticable when B. Arsenault was hurt with a bone bruise and didn't play and in the local Newspaper reported him getting 3 Assist.

That's quite the acquisition to make. You have something against this team or player?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
That's quite the acquisition to make. You have something against this team or player?
I would say he/she has something against all things hockey pei, especially if Squires is involved. This thread was never created to voice these types of comments. Let's clean it up and talk prospects please and thank-you.

Reactions: HkyFan202

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
HkyFan202 started the conversation with B. Arsenault getting 5 points in a game when he only saw him get one maybe two assists. I just added what fathers on the team are saying after those games when it happens at Tims, what is the reason behind those points and how they get recorded. But I see HkyFan202 liking your response and I do agree we shouldn't speculate on that existing problem with Score sheets and I shouldn't of added what I heard. It was not necessary. I never knocked Squires, there will always be a need for players like him on a team, although I would rather watch a gritty team than one that is more passive.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I see Jonah Jelly in PEI rinks the last 2 weeks. He is a 04 and family moved here from NB. He will be trying to make the Charlottetown Knights roster. Good size player that has played with ND Hounds the last couple of years. Anyone know more about him. He is playing tonight at the CARI with the Midgets and Junior in a scrimmage.
This could be their year.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Working in a rink. I hear and see a lot of don’ts. It doesn’t mean it’s not true. Maybe what I said hits close to home for you two guys. I’m over it. Hockey kids are what we should praise and not what happens behind the scenes. Agreed

Reactions: HKYEAST

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I see Jonah Jelly in PEI rinks the last 2 weeks. He is a 04 and family moved here from NB. He will be trying to make the Charlottetown Knights roster. Good size player that has played with ND Hounds the last couple of years. Anyone know more about him. He is playing tonight at the CARI with the Midgets and Junior in a scrimmage.
This could be their year.
Very smart , unselfish player who could work on his first step quickness. I see him as a solid knights player

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Watched the game, your statement on foot quickness to get into passing lanes or scoring lanes are true. I see him standing still to long when he doesn't have the puck. If he would start moving sooner, even alittle bit, into those spots would diffently help his team in keeping the puck longer and less broken plays. If he could take a page out of M. Pelletier book from Fredericton as he has a little hop at the stand still position to get his legs going and he gets to those much needed spots to relieve his teamates from pressure. This ability to stay on the move must be instinct based and not something a player should think about on the ice. I guess you scouts call this Hockey IQ....

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
upload_2020-8-15_18-19-32.jpeg

Well I just said I didn't think it was going to happen and now it looks like it might. Good on the teams / organizations that are willing to include the school teams. Even just as limited exhibition games. Good for all sides.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Interesting! Prep schools have everything to gain and nothing to lose in this scenario, not sure about the benefit for League teams other than more teams to play? I expect not all teams were aligned with this league decision. I guess we will know when the schedule comes out and it actually starts to happen.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Well, I knew they were given the ole College try in getting this done. Those private schools have great teams with Coach's that have many years of experience. They have their foot in the door now, its only a matter of time they are part of league play. Does this mean they can play in big tournaments like Montonian and Ice Jam? Do they consider tournaments as exhibition play? What do others think of this decission that is coming down the pipe.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Well, I knew they were given the ole College try in getting this done. Those private schools have great teams with Coach's that have many years of experience. They have their foot in the door now, its only a matter of time they are part of league play. Does this mean they can play in big tournaments like Montonian and Ice Jam? Do they consider tournaments as exhibition play? What do others think of this decission that is coming down the pipe.
They were always part of those tournaments.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
As I checked back through the Monctonian teams the U16 private schools were not invited to the tournament only the U18 was able to attend. The U16 teams maybe invited this year under the current terms and conditions of this years NB/PEI amendments.
In the Major Bantam division. Thoughts....

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
As I checked back through the Monctonian teams the U16 private schools were not invited to the tournament only the U18 was able to attend. The U16 teams maybe invited this year under the current terms and conditions of this years NB/PEI amendments.
In the Major Bantam division. Thoughts....
Pretty sure the U16 is now classified U17 and it wouldn't be very fun for any major bantam team to play them. Major Bantam would be U15. Essentially the U17 team is pretty much all first year Midget players but with having the U17 classification can carry 2nd year midgets as well.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Interesting. I guess it didn’t say anything further on a date they will send out more on private schools classification or privileges.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
I should mention I only have heard that for Mount Academy. Heard they are having a U17 & U18. I would only assume other schools who run multiple teams will continue with the traditional U16 & U18? unless it's the states, they seem to call it a little different. What we would call U15 they call 14U and so on through the ages. Under 15 vs 14 & Under. Same thing with a different way of saying it I guess? I think I'm just starting to confuse myself now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad