Confirmed Signing with Link: 2021 Prospect Signings

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A surprise.

Signing the ELC is not so much of a surprise.

But if Boston brings him over to the AHL already this fall, which is rumored via Swedish sources, then that would be a surprise.

There are a number of voices, primarily in Sweden, that are very critical of NHL teams not letting the kids develop in Sweden until they are pretty much ready to jump straight into the NHL.

Any move of bringing over Lysell now would be VERY quick. I think two of the prime "guinea pigs" under the microscope at the moment are LA bringing over Bjornfot right away (seems to be working out) and the Islanders bringing over Holmstrom right away (not going as well).

Back in the day, it seemed like the Zetterbergs of the world established themselves as go-to guys in Sweden and were first brought over to jump straight into the NHL when they were 23 and older.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

But if Boston brings him over to the AHL already this fall, which is rumored via Swedish sources, then that would be a surprise.

There are a number of voices, primarily in Sweden, that are very critical of NHL teams not letting the kids develop in Sweden until they are pretty much ready to jump straight into the NHL.

Any move of bringing over Lysell now would be VERY quick. I think two of the prime "guinea pigs" under the microscope at the moment are LA bringing over Bjornfot right away (seems to be working out) and the Islanders bringing over Holmstrom right away (not going as well).

Back in the day, it seemed like the Zetterbergs of the world established themselves as go-to guys in Sweden and were first brought over to jump straight into the NHL when they were 23 and older.

Pastrnak was also playing in Sweden Allsvenskan when the Bruins brought him over early to Providence IIRC.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

I don't know about bringing players under 20 to play in the AHL (no strong opinion either way, but first instinct is SHL seems like the more competitive and professional environment to develop in).

But the Zetterberg thing is never happening again. ELC years are too valuable in Salary Cap era. Any top tier talent is getting brought over at 20 and that isn't changing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't know about bringing players under 20 to play in the AHL (no strong opinion either way, but first instinct is SHL seems like the more competitive and professional environment to develop in).

But the Zetterberg thing is never happening again. ELC years are too valuable in Salary Cap era. Any top tier talent is getting brought over at 20 and that isn't changing.

I do understand what you're getting at, but many teams can have the rights to their European draft picks for quite some time and there's often no rush to bring over certain late round picks, which Zetterberg himself was. Toronto's Pontus Holmberg looks like a current example. Andreas Johnsson before him. Buffalo's Victor Olofsson seems like the most successful recent example, having first come over at age 23.

As for more prime (1st round?) talent, as far as I know, an ELC can be signed, but the first year or two of that ELC is pushed back until said player is with either the NHL team or its AHL affiliate.

So, in Lysell's case, the first year of the ELC would not be eaten up if he spends this season in Sweden.

If I'm incorrect about that, then I'm not quite sure why some players sign an ELC and then spend the next season or two in juniors or Europe. I just don't know what benefit the NHL club has in such a case?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
As for more prime (1st round?) talent, as far as I know, an ELC can be signed, but the first year or two of that ELC is pushed back until said player is with either the NHL team or its AHL affiliate.
It can only be pushed back until the player is 20, which is why I said they will get brought over when they are 20.

If they wait to sign till after 20 like Olofsson, the ELC becomes shorter, which is why he only had a 2 year ELC. (In his case, I agree 23, 24 year old seasons on ELC is better than 20, 21, and 22, but he likely wouldn't have made then NHL till he was older anyways.) Olofsson actually spent a year in the AHL, too, after coming over.

If the team feels there is any chance that the player can play at the age of 20 in the NHL they will bring them over, because they are risking loosing ELC years in the NHL if they don't. Olofsson got brought over the first season there was a chance he would make it, and he actually only played 6 NHL games that year.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Wooa, Carolina signs two of my favorite 2021 draft underdogs.
Since 2012 this team draft and develop sooooo well.

Really like Jerome Moser too, astute pick as he could make the jump to the NHL right away in Zona.
Played in the Swiss 1st division pro league and fared very well as a 20 yo.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Ben

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Any word on the college prospects who needed to have signed yesterday or they become free agents (Petruzelli, Hellickson, etc.)?
Petruzelli was at Bruins development camp last week.

I have a funny feeling Hellickson has, or will soon be signing an AHL deal with the Devils minor team. No insider info, just a hunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad