Series Discussion: 2021 Playoffs Watch

Which team do you want to face in the first round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

• Total voters

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
There's a little more clarity.

The Islanders are almost surely going to be the 4th seed after last night's results. Boston would need to lose their next 3 in regulation and the Islanders would need to win their next 2 games in order for NYI to get the third seed. Moneypuck has NYI at 98.5% as the #4 seed.

Here is the entire Moneypuck odds for where each team will finish (updated this morning):

1st2nd3rd4th
WSH57.9%24.4%17.7%0%
PIT29.6%60.5%10.0%0%
BOS12.6%15.1%70.8%1.5%
NYI0%0%1.5%98.5%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'll post the Hockeyviz odds when they are up at 1:00 PM today.

It is certainly doable for NYI to climb back up to 3rd though. Looking at Boston's sched:

Boston

5/8 NY Rangers
5/10 NY Islanders
5/11 @ Washington

Rangers game tomorrow - depends on if the Rangers actually want to win a game for once

Islander - face each other

Washington - could be a tough game... could also be not :laugh:

Islanders just have the Devils - easily doable

Bruins - face each other

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Oddsmakers don't know shit on games down the stretch in NHL
There's spoilers just about every night

It's pretty simple,
Caps are Guaranteed 1st if they win 2 of the 3 games in Regulation; in control of their own destiny
(that would put WSH at 77 pts and 30 RW, PIT or BOS would both lose tiebreakers if they both win out)
Caps/PIT are currently guaranteed at least 3rd

MAXIMUM possible points/RW:
WSH 79 pts 31 RW
PIT 77 pts 29 RW
BOS 77 pts 28 RW
NYI 72 pts 25 RW

CURRENT points/RW/GR:
WSH 73pts 28RW (3 GR)
PIT 75pts 28RW (1 GR)
BOS 71pts 25RW (3 GR)
NYI 68pts 23RW (2 GR)

RW = 1st tiebreaker
ROW = 2nd
W = 3rd

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Here's today's Hockeyviz update:

WSH

Isles are now more likely than not the first round opponent, with a good chance of facing Boston as well.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oddsmakers don't know shit on games down the stretch in NHL
There's spoilers just about every night

It's pretty simple,
Caps are Guaranteed 1st if they win 2 of the 3 games in Regulation; in control of their own destiny
(that would put WSH at 77 pts and 30 RW, PIT or BOS would both lose tiebreakers if they both win out)
Caps/PIT are currently guaranteed at least 3rd

MAXIMUM possible points/RW:
WSH 79 pts 31 RW
PIT 77 pts 29 RW
BOS 77 pts 28 RW
NYI 72 pts 25 RW

CURRENT points/RW/GR:
WSH 73pts 28RW (3 GR)
PIT 75pts 28RW (1 GR)
BOS 71pts 25RW (3 GR)
NYI 68pts 23RW (2 GR)

RW = 1st tiebreaker
ROW = 2nd
W = 3rd
Are we sure about this? Every place has the ROW posted in the standings, and I have read many hockey writers mention the Caps need 5pts to clinch it, not 4

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Are we sure about this? Every place has the ROW posted in the standings, and I have read many hockey writers mention the Caps need 5pts to clinch it, not 4

Regulation wins are the first tiebreaker now, not regulation+OT wins (ROWs).

4 points won't clinch it if they don't get 2 regulation wins. But if they do win 2 in regulation, then 4 points will clinch 1st place.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
See(click on) "+Tie-Breaking Procedure" at the bottom of this (NHL Hockey Standings) page...

If tied in points...procedure is:
1-fewest games played(all will be 56, so...)
2-highest RW (2 regulation wins should do it for the Caps)
3-highest ROW
.... ... etc etc

NHL Hockey Standings

Last edited:

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Doesn't matter who is the opponent and what the regular season record was against them. Look at the Rangers, they gave us fits the whole season long, but the last 2 games clearly showed we would beat them in the playoff series. It's all about us and catching the momentum. Especially considering all teams are equal. There is no favorite against anyone. So just hoping for good battles and long run.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Doesn't matter who is the opponent and what the regular season record was against them. Look at the Rangers, they gave us fits the whole season long, but the last 2 games clearly showed we would beat them in the playoff series. It's all about us and catching the momentum. Especially considering all teams are equal. There is no favorite against anyone. So just hoping for good battles and long run.

This 100%.

If we play our game, if we play well, we can crush any team we face like we did in '18. If we bring a Todd Reirden style effort, anyone can/will beat us easily.

This is in our hands, not the fate of the gods.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This 100%.

If we play our game, if we play well, we can crush any team we face like we did in '18. If we bring a Todd Reirden style effort, anyone can/will beat us easily.

This is in our hands, not the fate of the gods.
There’s always a component of luck in these things as well, so let’s hope we don’t anger the gods.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Updated after today's games.

Pens clinch 1st
Caps clinch 2nd

Islanders still have a chance to grab 3rd from Bruins. Monday is HUGE as they play each other.

Caps have a chance to decide who they play when they play against the Bruins on Tuesday depending on Monday's outcome.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
It's interesting to see Islanders and Boston who want as their 1st round opponent us or Pens. I would imagine Islanders might want to avoid Pens, while Boston want to play them. At least this is the fan opinion, though the hockey players and coaches don't do think like this.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The Penguins are extremely overrated IMO. Their 5v5 metrics are bad and they’ve been bailed out by good goaltending. I think I would pick either the Islanders or Bruins over them in a series.

Obviously I would love to see the Pens lose to the Isles. I am not sure that will happen. Hopefully you are right with your analysis.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Obviously I would love to see the Pens lose to the Isles. I am not sure that will happen. Hopefully you are right with your analysis.
They’re still a highly skilled team and obviously anything can happen. I’m just not impressed by their 5v5 play and the analytics back that up. We’ll see what happens.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They need to beat the Bruins now, if not in the 1st round then the 2nd. I don't think Penguins have much of a chance against them as it's one-line team against one-line team and Bergeron has a long history of shutting out Crosby in the Playoffs.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
We're totally in Boston's heads. We've beaten them pretty consistently over the last decade and that franchise and
their fanbase really don't believe they can beat us. Its much like the attitude we had towards the Penguins prior to 2018.

(Of course, the real Boston killer was Holtby, who is no longer with us. but don't let the Bruins fans know that).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We're totally in Boston's heads. We've beaten them pretty consistently over the last decade and that franchise and
their fanbase really don't believe they can beat us. Its much like the attitude we had towards the Penguins prior to 2018.

(Of course, the real Boston killer was Holtby, who is no longer with us. but don't let the Bruins fans know that).
Yeah, I'm not so sure anymore. Holtby was in their heads, but they've taken more than in a few games from us more recently, and some pretty decisively. They have the best tending of the 4 playoff teams and they went to the ECF last year. I wouldn't take them too lightly.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I'm not so sure anymore. Holtby was in their heads, but they've taken more than in a few games from us more recently, and some pretty decisively. They have the best tending of the 4 playoff teams and they went to the ECF last year. I wouldn't take them too lightly.

I'm not taking them lightly, at all, but we are absolutely in their heads, no question about it. Go check their boards, the fans are terrified of playing us, even without Holtby.

And that just makes them an easier opponent. Think how many times the Caps had a superior team to the Pens and still lost because of the psychological dimension.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm not taking them lightly, at all, but we are absolutely in their heads, no question about it. Go check their boards, the fans are terrified of playing us, even without Holtby.

And that just makes them an easier opponent. Think how many times the Caps had a superior team to the Pens and still lost because of the psychological dimension.
That we're in the fans heads is means nothing as far as the actual team, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad