Speculation: 2021 Offseason Thread - Back To Back Champs Edition

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Now that I think of it the person who stands to benefit the most from a threepeat is probably Jon Cooper because he's already in a bit of "First since Glen Sather" territory as it is now

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
The word is thrown around too frequently, but if I hadn't "literally" waited 5 years to change my user name to what it is now to reflect a Cup win, I'd be tempted to change it to Asterisk Dynasty on the night of the threepeat if it actually happened.

People still think 03-04 was a fluke and game 6 we lost lol some things never change.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
People still think 03-04 was a fluke and game 6 we lost lol some things never change.

With the surge of the Delta variant, I'm very curious to see what the NHL does in response because if there's any kind of limitations it'll be another COVID Cup for whoever wins it

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

That's why it was so easy to embrace it. People just get angry and make excuses when Tampa wins. Any winner gets it really but something with Tampa brings out the worst of that. Probably cause they have been known for losing for so long that it annoys them to see them win? Only thing I can come up with.

Reactions: Hoek

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

I swear, every time I watch that "goal", the less convinced I am that there's any legitimate argument that it was, in fact, over the line. And maybe the funniest thing isn't hearing from Flames fans - you can't expect them to be objective on this, and that's fine - but hearing from another Canuckleheads on this. Even Oilers fans saying "oh yeah, it was in", with zero evidence to support the claim other than everybody's favorite flawed camera angle. They've all been brainwashed by the "Team Canada for the Stanley Cup" narrative.

By all means, it should've been reviewed. But that goal wouldn't have been overturned in 2021 with the angles we have today, let alone 2004. Maybe if it had been ruled a goal on the ice, but as it was? No. It wasn't a goal. It wasn't going to be a goal. Calgary had some poor luck but they weren't screwed. And revisionist history always makes it sound like an absolute impossibility that one of the NHL's highest scoring teams had no chance to tie it back up afterwards.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I swear, every time I watch that "goal", the less convinced I am that there's any legitimate argument that it was, in fact, over the line. And maybe the funniest thing isn't hearing from Flames fans - you can't expect them to be objective on this, and that's fine - but hearing from another Canuckleheads on this. Even Oilers fans saying "oh yeah, it was in". They've all been brainwashed by the "Team Canada for the Stanley Cup" narrative.

By all means, it should've been reviewed. But that goal wouldn't have been overturned in 2021 with the angles we have today, let alone 2004. Maybe if it had been ruled a goal on the ice, but as it was? No. It wasn't a goal. It wasn't going to be a goal. Calgary had some poor luck but they weren't screwed. And revisionist history always makes it sound like an absolute impossibility that one of the NHL's highest scoring teams had no chance to tie it back up afterwards.

Not enough evidence is what I saw. I'm sure Calgary fans see different and I think it's pointless to argue but to discredit that cup because of that is just dumb and salty as it comes from my perspective. Still had plenty of time to win it.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Not enough evidence is what I saw. I'm sure Calgary fans see different and I think it's pointless to argue but to discredit that cup because of that is just dumb and salty as it comes from my perspective. Still had plenty of time to win it.

Not our fault that Calgary's only goal in the last 87 minutes of that series (after the no goal) came on probably the worst penalty call in the history of the NHL.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
If we threepeat are we a dynasty?

IMO yes but you'll have the sticklers who say it has to be 4. Nevermind that the Oilers didn't threepeat.

In the modern day NHL, I think teams like the Blackhawks managing 3 in 6 is enough to qualify as a dynasty. I kinda see the Penguins differently not because of just the math - 3 in 7 - but because there was a five* year gap in there. The 2009 and 2016/2017 rosters were very different other than the two principals, whereas the Blackhawks were pretty evenly spaced.

In any case, three in a row is a slam dunk dynasty, in a 31/32-team salary capped league. Anybody pointing to the O6 teams...even the Islanders dynasty was still in a totally different environment, with advantages modern day teams simply don't have to keep teams together. I would say that, if the Lightning win another Cup at any point between 2022-'25, we have a claim for a dynasty. If we'd won in '16 or especially in '18, we would've already become one.

*EDIT - Lol, I can't count. It was six full seasons between winning the 2009 and 2016 Stanley Cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peacefool and Hoek

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
To me you can't be considered a dynasty if you didn't win back to back. It's very difficult to do and Chicago had three chances to do it and failed each time.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Sounds f***ing miserable
Depends how you define as "something we live with." Treating it like the flu where it doesn't really shut down or affect daily life at all because while it's still around it's no longer that deadly or widespread seems fine to me. Having to live with periodic restrictions because otherwise hospitals get flooded with people near death would indeed be miserable, but that doesn't seem likely right now with how effective vaccines are (now if people would just get their damn shots).

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I know hes with SC Bern but i would love to bring Conacher back into the organization somehow.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Any particular reason or just a fan of the honey badger?
Always loved his play style. He seemed to do well every chance he got with us. could really use him in the AHL to help with some of the rookies. Also wouldnt mind seeing him punch Rask in the face for revenge

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
he kinda hopped around between Ottawa, Buffalo, and then the Islanders. Went overseas for a year and then came back

Yea I know he was with us for a little bit after that. He was also the trade that got us Bishop and then his trade got us Cernak in a steal of a trade. Moral of the story, don't trade with SY..

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know hes with SC Bern but i would love to bring Conacher back into the organization somehow.

Ehhhhh I love the guy but I think that ship has sailed. At this point you'd be playing a dude who is 31 to potentially take ice time away from guys like Raddysh, Katchouk and ABB who have been waiting for God knows how long for their turn and may be more productive than Conacher. Like I get it but we'd just hold everyone back -Conacher included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->