Foligno-Larsson-Stewart
Flynn-McCormick-Deslaurier

Myers-Gorges
Benoit-Strachan
Mezaros-Zadorov
Pysyk

Enroth
Neurvirth

I mean, what really killed that team was Hodgson falling off the face of the planet, bad coaching, that terrible defense, and then finally the Girgensons injury and sending all the goalies away at the deadline

Compare that to:

Skinner-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
R2-Cozens-Thompson
Bjork-Eakin-Okposo
Asplund-Girgensons-Hinostroza

Dahlin-Joker
Butcher-Miller
Hagg-Psysk
Bryson

Anderson
Dell

The lineups are actually pretty similar

Let's see:

forwards: I'll give 2014-15 a slight edge. Maybe a push if you consider Hodgson just fell off a cliff that year.

Defense: Hrm, this years is slightly better because Dahlin.

Goaltending: easily 2014-15

Coaching: I'll give Granato the edge here as Nolas was clearly from a different era.

I mean....I think it get a sub 60 point team, it has to be a bad team + injuries + other issues

I also think we are going to get 1-2 NHL bodies back in the Eichel trade.

If we get the "all futures" deal for Eichel and the above line up is it, I'd say the lineup is like 60-65 points

Some bad injuries and Eakin is playing in the top 6 for extended period of time? Probably down in the 50s or so
This post is something else.

The forward and d-groups coming into the 21-22 season are much better than the 14-15 team. The goaltending is about the only element that’s close but that isn’t known yet.

You keep throwing line combos out in posts as if you know what they will be. Then attack based on those assumptions. The chef’s kiss of doom and gloom though was at the end of your post. When you put forth the fearsome thought that we are “some bad injuries away from Eakin playing in the top 6 for an extended period of time” How scary.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This post is something else.

The forward and d-groups coming into the 21-22 season are much better than the 14-15 team. The goaltending is about the only element that’s close but that isn’t known yet.

You keep throwing line combos out in posts as if you know what they will be. Then attack based on those assumptions. The chef’s kiss of doom and gloom though was at the end of your post. When you put forth the fearsome thought that we are “some bad injuries away from Eakin playing in the top 6 for an extended period of time” How scary.

I mean, the D Group.....Ok I'll give you that, but mostly because Dahlin-Joker is much better than Gorges-Myers. The bottom 4 on both are dumpster fires.

The forward group though?

Moulson, Stafford, Stewart, Hodgson, Ennis, Gionta are all legit middle 6 NHL forwards at this point. No real top line talent, but at least they would fit in someone else's lineup.

Mittelstadt, Skinner, Oloffson and....? Cozens is around where Girgensons was at the same time, should be in the AHL. I guess you could make a case for R2. I also think you could argue Mittelstadt's production not really NHL caliber to this point, but I know how you feel about that, so I'll include him.

Thompson, Bjork, Asplund, Girgensons, Hinostroza, Okposo, and Eakin are all 4th liners at this point. If they even belong in the NHL still.

2014-15's tank forward group wasn't good by any stretch, but, going into the season at least, they had some legit NHL talent. Some were about to go over the barrel (Moulson, Hodgson) in terms of production. And do I think this team will be WORSE than the tank team? No. Buffalo's GM was actively working against them, the coaching was bottom of the barrel, and several forwards went from productive to bad (as mentioned above) and Girgenson's missed 20 games when he was Nolan's favorite center.

I also don't think this is the roster we start the season with, as we should get 1-2 NHL bodies back in any Eichel deal. But yeah, on paper:

Forwards: Tank
Defense: 2021
Goaltending: Tank
Coaching:2021

"let's call it a draw"

giphy.gif

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

Moulson, Stafford, Stewart, Hodgson, Ennis, Gionta are all legit middle 6 NHL forwards at this point. No real top line talent, but at least they would fit in someone else's lineup.

Mittelstadt, Skinner, Oloffson and....? Cozens is around where Girgensons was at the same time, should be in the AHL. I guess you could make a case for R2. I also think you could argue Mittelstadt's production not really NHL caliber to this point, but I know how you feel about that, so I'll include him.

Thompson, Bjork, Asplund, Girgensons, Hinostroza, Okposo, and Eakin are all 4th liners at this point. If they even belong in the NHL still.
The one key difference here is the the bolded forwards were all on a downward trajectory in their careers. Thompson, Asplund, Mitts, Cozens, and R2 are all on an upward swing and have yet to play their best hockey. Skinner, Girgensons, Okposo, Eakin, Bjork, Oloffson and Hinostroza have more in common with the 2014 forwards you mention, and I would argue the 2021 version is slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not too optimistic about the upcoming season, but this forward group has far more positive upside potential than anything the tank squad could muster.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The one key difference here is the the bolded forwards were all on a downward trajectory in their careers.

While I agree with the theme of your post, I will nitpick about Hodgson being on the downward trajectory. When we gave him his long-term deal, he certainly looked the part of a top 6 center and was clearly in the prime of his career if not still on the upswing.

It was that blasted condition of his that killed his career, not a downward trajectory.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The one key difference here is the the bolded forwards were all on a downward trajectory in their careers. Thompson, Asplund, Mitts, Cozens, and R2 are all on an upward swing and have yet to play their best hockey. Skinner, Girgensons, Okposo, Eakin, Bjork, Oloffson and Hinostroza have more in common with the 2014 forwards you mention, and I would argue the 2021 version is slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not too optimistic about the upcoming season, but this forward group has far more positive upside potential than anything the tank squad could muster.

Stafford, Ennis, and Stewart were in their prime years.

Hodgson had a solid year the year before. Moulson and Gionta you are correct on, though, they were still productive leading up to this season.

As for the other forwards:

Thompson: 104 NHL games...15 goals, 11A, 26 points
Asplund: 57 NHL games: 8G, 6A
Mitts: 155 NHL games, 27G, 34A, 61 points
Cozens: 41 NHL games, 4G, 9 A
R2: 17 GP, 5G, 1 A

Thompson and Asplund would be healthy scratches on a good team. They simply have not shown enough at the NHL (or AHL even) level to justify a roster spot.

Mitts had an encouraging growth last year, but he's still mostly unknown. He could get 50 points he could get 25. We don't know.

Cozens should be in the AHL and earning a call up.

R2 can still be sent to rochester. Given the relative depth on the left side, I think that is where he may end up.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Stafford, Ennis, and Stewart were in their prime years.

Hodgson had a solid year the year before. Moulson and Gionta you are correct on, though, they were still productive leading up to this season.

As for the other forwards:

Thompson: 104 NHL games...15 goals, 11A, 26 points
Asplund: 57 NHL games: 8G, 6A
Mitts: 155 NHL games, 27G, 34A, 61 points
Cozens: 41 NHL games, 4G, 9 A
R2: 17 GP, 5G, 1 A

Thompson and Asplund would be healthy scratches on a good team. They simply have not shown enough at the NHL (or AHL even) level to justify a roster spot.

Mitts had an encouraging growth last year, but he's still mostly unknown. He could get 50 points he could get 25. We don't know.

Cozens should be in the AHL and earning a call up.

R2 can still be sent to rochester. Given the relative depth on the left side, I think that is where he may end up.

I don’t think that I’ve seen many people argue that Cozens should be in the AHL. He had a decent year and modest production for a rookie on an abysmal team who also had to deal with some injuries. And beyond that, he didn’t look physically overwhelmed.

I don’t think he should be thrown to the wolves in the NHL, and hope that he has some insulation for the sake of his development. But I don’t think he has much to gain in the AHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think that I’ve seen many people argue that Cozens should be in the AHL. He had a decent year and modest production for a rookie on an abysmal team who also had to deal with some injuries. And beyond that, he didn’t look physically overwhelmed.

I don’t think he should be thrown to the wolves in the NHL, and hope that he has some insulation for the sake of his development. But I don’t think he has much to gain in the AHL.

he was a top 10 pick
90% of them from NA play in the NHL in 19 yr old/D+1 yr.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

he was a top 10 pick
90% of them from NA play in the NHL in 19 yr old/D+1 yr.

The thing is....I think nearly every NHL prospect can use some AHL time. Let him prove he's too good for the AHL and ride the bus a bit. It won't hurt his development.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Needing to get to cap floor w winger for mitts and c/ pf for Skinner the teams below might have youth rfas or year away young ufa that KA IS waiting to fill out the line up w ice in his veins. Five in cap protein shedding..

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Our waiver position and ability to take cap can really help our kids out to get to cap floor.. If KA does it right.. He can get a young winger , power forward , D and at least one decent goalie waived. Or traded cheap to avoid waivers to give our kids a fighting chance and help out Anderson until ukka or levi shines and takes the riegns..At least competition w Dell so hes in roc

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Let's bring Johan Larsson back.

Still can't believe they just gave away thf heart and soul of Buffalo Sabres - for nada.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let's bring Johan Larsson back.

Still can't believe they just gave away thf heart and soul of Buffalo Sabres - for nada.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd take Larsson back in an instant given the current state of the team

But being the heart and soul of a team that finished last place twice in his tenure with us isn't really a point of pride for anyone.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This one covered more than hockey, but really enjoyed listening to Lance's perspective on a bunch of Sabres topics.

This morning's episode with Joe Yerdon was good, as well.

Joe's story about a bunch of Buffalo Sabres media people hanging out on Friday and then the Eichel bomb happening was classic!

Lance was like, "Well boys, I have to go now..."

:laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean, the D Group.....Ok I'll give you that, but mostly because Dahlin-Joker is much better than Gorges-Myers. The bottom 4 on both are dumpster fires.

2014-15's tank forward group wasn't good by any stretch, but, going into the season at least, they had some legit NHL talent. Some were about to go over the barrel (Moulson, Hodgson) in terms of production. And do I think this team will be WORSE than the tank team? No. Buffalo's GM was actively working against them, the coaching was bottom of the barrel, and several forwards went from productive to bad (as mentioned above) and Girgenson's missed 20 games when he was Nolan's favorite center.

I also don't think this is the roster we start the season with, as we should get 1-2 NHL bodies back in any Eichel deal. But yeah, on paper:

Forwards: Tank
Defense: 2021
Goaltending: Tank
Coaching:2021

"let's call it a draw"

giphy.gif

Sorry but this is more silliness

1) Cody Hodgson during the tank year -> 78gms 6g 13pts. There is zero chance anyone who gets a top 6 center role this season will be that bad. Probably not even our 3rd line center would be that bad.

2) Moulson was the top LW during the tank year (top line of Mouslon/Girgs/Ennis). Played the most 5v5 minutes of LWs (14+min), got top PP ice time, was out with goalie pulled, etc. All the favorable deployments to produce offense and he only scored 13 goals. YOU keep insisting Skinner will be the top line LW this year. He would blow Moulson’s 13 goals out of the water with a similar usage.

3) You’re arguing Cozens belongs in the AHL. We both know thats not true and a silly assertion.

4) You’re take on Mitts not being NHL ready is, again, a silly stance. He’s development has been up and down. He’s played 155 NHL games over parts of 4 seasons. The last 20 of those games was as a top 6 center producing at a 30+g 60+pt pace. Thats a kid more than ready for the NHL and to get a shot as a full time top 6 center. We’ll find out if he can handle it (top 6 center) this year.

5) You have to be kidding me lumping Tage, Bjork and Asplund and even Girgs with Eakin.

6) Where are you getting the idea that the tank team only finished with 54pts because Girgs got hurt and the trade deadline moves? Those two events happened around the same time (after GM#61 and GM#63 respectively) and the Sabres were on pace for only 56pts at the time. It didn’t take those events to make them a mid 50s team. They were built from the get go to be that bad. Ironically Girgs getting hurt led to Larsson taking over his role and he was a better.

You take the most extreme positions to be as negative as possible about this years roster. Even if the stance doesn’t make much sense.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sorry but this is more silliness

1) Cody Hodgson during the tank year -> 78gms 6g 13pts. There is zero chance anyone who gets a top 6 center role this season will be that bad. Probably not even our 3rd line center would be that bad.

2) Moulson was the top LW during the tank year (top line of Mouslon/Girgs/Ennis). Played the most 5v5 minutes of LWs (14+min), got top PP ice time, was out with goalie pulled, etc. All the favorable deployments to produce offense and he only scored 13 goals. YOU keep insisting Skinner will be the top line LW this year. He would blow Moulson’s 13 goals out of the water with a similar usage.

3) You’re arguing Cozens belongs in the AHL. We both know thats not true and a silly assertion.

4) You’re take on Mitts not being NHL ready is, again, a silly stance. He’s development has been up and down. He’s played 155 NHL games over parts of 4 seasons. The last 20 of those games was as a top 6 center producing at a 30+g 60+pt pace. Thats a kid more than ready for the NHL and to get a shot as a full time top 6 center. We’ll find out if he can handle it (top 6 center) this year.

5) You have to be kidding me lumping Tage, Bjork and Asplund and even Girgs with Eakin.

6) Where are you getting the idea that the tank team only finished with 54pts because Girgs got hurt and the trade deadline moves? Those two events happened around the same time (after GM#61 and GM#63 respectively) and the Sabres were on pace for 56pts att that time. It didn’t take those events to make them a mid 50s team. They were built from the get go to be that bad. Ironically Girgs getting hurt led to Larsson taking over his role ansd actully playing better.

You take the most extreme positions to be as negative as possible about this years roster. Even if the stance doesn’t make much sense.

Point 1: agree. And it’s a lot unfair to criticize Hodgson’s performances now that we know what he was up against medically.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To start a fun debate or to give another reason for those worried about the season to pull their hair out…….

Let me present Lance Lysowski’s guess at the lines from his recent mailbag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad