2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The new odds for the entry draft lottery.

Like I've said before we're now guaranteed a pick between #1 - #5.

Here are our odds:
#1 Pick --> 11.5 %
#2 Pick --> 11.3 %
#3 Pick --> 6.0 %
#4 Pick --> 40.9 %
#5 Pick --> 30.3 %

So we'll most likely pick at #4 or #5.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Here are our odds:
#1 Pick --> 11.5 %
#2 Pick --> 11.3 %
#3 Pick --> 6.0 %
#4 Pick --> 40.9 %
#5 Pick --> 30.3 %

Thanks for the info. This is awesome. I generally buy a couple of Draft books so will start digging in a little more into the prospects.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Bob McKenzie is sort of the gold standard on prospects each year. Here's his early rankings:

Blueliner Owen Power tops McKenzie's first 2021 Draft Ranking

Looks like a pretty solid top five, so we should get a good player to build on.

McKenzie is a decent start but I have bought the Black Book for the last few years. Its pretty good in depth coverage and more than just the 1st round. Another one that is almost always a yearly buy is McKeens.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Here are our odds:
#1 Pick --> 11.5 %
#2 Pick --> 11.3 %
#3 Pick --> 6.0 %
#4 Pick --> 40.9 %
#5 Pick --> 30.3 %

Odds haven't been determined yet since we have no idea if we'll have a 16 team lottery or a 15 team lottery. Coyotes first round pick was forfeited so they can't be included for the odds if they miss the playoffs. And not all the changes gone to the lottery system will take place this year.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Odds haven't been determined yet since we have no idea if we'll have a 16 team lottery or a 15 team lottery. Coyotes first round pick was forfeited so they can't be included for the odds if they miss the playoffs. And not all the changes gone to the lottery system will take place this year.

The odds have been changed given the one change that will definitly occur in 2021.
Teams can only drop two spots(starting 2021) and therefore we can only drop to 5th during the lottery.

Arizona's also currently somewhere in the middle of the pack and we'll start out with the same odds as the 3rd worst team.

BTW:
As far as draft scouting goes.
Dobber Sports is holding quite a few video podcasts on youtube about their rankings and players.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The odds have been changed given the one change that will definitly occur in 2021.
Teams can only drop two spots(starting 2021) and therefore we can only drop to 5th during the lottery.

Arizona's also currently somewhere in the middle of the pack and we'll start out with the same odds as the 3rd worst team.

BTW:
As far as draft scouting goes.
Dobber Sports is holding quite a few video podcasts on youtube about their rankings and players.

Yes but the odds would be different with 15 teams vs 16 teams. I rather wait till the nhl comes out with tbe odds themselves than to trust another site guess.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Rankings are currently all over the place for these kids. Outside of Beniers and Eklund there really seems to be no other lock-in's for even the top-5.

Yeah, first it was Raty, after that it was Powers and now it is Beniers who were supposed to go #1.

Scouting is pretty tough and all over the place and because of that I don't know if selecting first or fith makes any difference this year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, first it was Raty, after that it was Powers and now it is Beniers who were supposed to go #1.

Scouting is pretty tough and all over the place and because of that I don't know if selecting first or fith makes any difference this year.
There is a good chance that a team drafting 5-10 ends up with a top-5 pick. Just hope that team is us .. :)

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Certainly an interesting draft this year, with no clear-cut standouts at the very top, and relatively minimal scouting on most players. Seems like a solid crop though with real potential for picking up gems in later slots.

Seattle's position should become a little more clear after the expansion draft and coaches are hired. At least there will be some sort of blueprint of team makeup. Generally I am an advocate for drafting the best player available, but in a year like this that is a pretty cloudy premise.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
This is a draft I would not be opposed to dropping a few spots from wherever we end up (top-6). Get more draft capital and still draft in the top-10 unless our board has someone still available who we rank higher than we are drafting.
Oh, well thing is having new team come in you have leverage other teams don't have based on salary cap. This draft looks kind of weak compared to past few years though. Jesper Wallstadt has been on my radar for little now. Is it worth risking 1st rounder on a goalie well maybe depending on if want to start from goalie outwards for prospect. Another possibility is Aatu Raty who might be worth the risk of moving back to get.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh, well thing is having new team come in you have leverage other teams don't have based on salary cap. This draft looks kind of weak compared to past few years though. Jesper Wallstadt has been on my radar for little now. Is it worth risking 1st rounder on a goalie well maybe depending on if want to start from goalie outwards for prospect. Another possibility is Aatu Raty who might be worth the risk of moving back to get.

I don't think spending a high first round pick on a goalie is a good idea. More so for an expansion team. We are very likely to have a very good 1A/1B option via the expansion draft. I'd say we use one of our 5th-7th round picks (or complimentary picks acquired via expansion draft related trades) for 1-2 goalies.

Aatu Raty was top-3 in most of the polls last season. This season, a lot of folks have him outside of the top-10. I wouldn't want him if we are picking top-5. But if we do move down to the 7-10 range, I would be fine reaching for him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Here's a recent mock post-trade deadline with Seattle at #3.

2021 NHL Mock Draft | 2021 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

....if CBJ ends up with 7/29/30.......how about those 3 picks for #3?
I think value is close though I would have preferred one of those later picks to be in the 20-25 range. The main reason I consider this trade is because of the way this draft is shaping up. Unless someone we really want at 3 (org rates him higher) is available, I would drop down.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think value is close though I would have preferred one of those later picks to be in the 20-25 range. The main reason I consider this trade is because of the way this draft is shaping up. Unless someone we really want at 3 (org rates him higher) is available, I would drop down.

its not gong to matter who we pick they aren't going to be playing on the team any time soon. And since its probably gonna be the same as they done it last year. why make us fans wait until the whole draft is just about over just to have our first pick... And i found last year s entry draft being round 1 on day 1 6 rounds on day 2 very dull for round one being 3 to 3 1/2 hours long.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
its not gong to matter who we pick they aren't going to be playing on the team any time soon. And since its probably gonna be the same as they done it last year. why make us fans wait until the whole draft is just about over just to have our first pick... And i found last year s entry draft being round 1 on day 1 6 rounds on day 2 very dull for round one being 3 to 3 1/2 hours long.

It certainly is going to matter who we pick if we want to become a successful franchise.
Even if they're not playing from day one.

The proposed trade also had us trading down from #3 - #7 while adding two late first rounders.
And "making fans wait" shouldn't be part of any consideration by Francis given that you have to do what's best for your franchise and if you think trading down to add more picks does that, than you do it.

BTW: The NHL draft is always that way.
It's over two days with the first round being televised and rounds #2 - #7 being the day after without a live stream.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It certainly is going to matter who we pick if we want to become a successful franchise.
Even if they're not playing from day one.

The proposed trade also had us trading down from #3 - #7 while adding two late first rounders.
And "making fans wait" shouldn't be part of any consideration by Francis given that you have to do what's best for your franchise and if you think trading down to add more picks does that, than you do it.

BTW: The NHL draft is always that way.
It's over two days with the first round being televised and rounds #2 - #7 being the day after without a live stream.

I don't remember the NHL draft being round 1 on 1 day and rest on day 2 at least not before the whole virus mess.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Ideally a genuine High end 1st line center with our very first pick. I’ve seen teams go a decade plus without finding one.
I would’ve liked to see the Preds with one instead of Ryjo. Could’ve been the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad