2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guenther has been somewhat polarizing . Some of us ( looking at WTK here ;) ) have been raising question marks about Beniers and his true upside. You could argue Powers is a bit polarizing as well ( how good really is his offensive game ? ) .

Thanks. I'm in a simulated league and I have the 6th and the 8th overall pick this year. I haven't paid as much attention to the draft this year and I'm in catch up mode. Thing is, our league is great when a player is pretty much complete. Like...if Kent Johnson is still there at 8...I'm not sure it pays for me to take him. Guenther is indeed a type of guy that could go either way....but at 8...geez, you have to take him no? Anyway, I don't go by position, just going with BPA. The way I want our Habs to go..lol

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thanks. I'm in a simulated league and I have the 6th and the 8th overall pick this year. I haven't paid as much attention to the draft this year and I'm in catch up mode. Thing is, our league is great when a player is pretty much complete. Like...if Kent Johnson is still there at 8...I'm not sure it pays for me to take him. Guenther is indeed a type of guy that could go either way....but at 8...geez, you have to take him no? Anyway, I don't go by position, just going with BPA. The way I want our Habs to go..lol
Oh at #8 you take him, no question .

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Anyone else very high on Mackie Samoskevich?

I believe his injury and the fact that he wasn't put back at C upon returning makes him fly under the radar. When he played with Farrell at the start of the season (prior to his injury), I felt like he was the one driving the play on the line and was a constant threat. The stats aren't there, but he's super exciting to watch and possesses a good amount of tools.

He's a tremendous skater who plays a high speed game. The 3 steps are excellent, the top speed is very high and his edgework is great. He's got perhaps some of the best mitts in this draft class. I love how deceptive he can be in transition and on the rush and how creative and versatile he is on offense. His passes are crisp and precise, and his shot's got power and accuracy (very quick release too). He can even crash the net if there's an opportunity. He works hard without the puck and isn't a defensive wizard but brings a constant effort in trying to prevent plays from the opponent to happen. He's not the strongest guy either, but he can hold his own in 50-50s and along the boards due to his strong skating abilities and good balance. Adding some muscle will help him a bunch.

Anyway, in my opinion I believe his game will transition better to the pros than his teammate Coronato, and when all is said and done I think he could end up being a top 10 player in a future redraft. I expect him to be gone before the Habs speak, but if he's there they should be all over him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Guenther has been somewhat polarizing . Some of us ( looking at WTK here ;) ) have been raising question marks about Beniers and his true upside. You could argue Powers is a bit polarizing as well ( how good really is his offensive game ? ) .

Powers is the real deal. I watched him in the World Championships and he was impressive. He's going to be a top pairing D. Maybe not Hedman, but the skills are definitely there to be an Ekblad/Ohlund/Edler type.

I'm glad to hear he's probably going back to Michigan. I think that's a good move for him. Matures a little, plays for NCAA championship and WJCs too, hopefully.

Guenther I have concerns about. Great shot, but not necessarily great shot selection. Tends to be a perimeter player and primarily scores off the rush. Maybe if Anaheim takes him and plays him with Zegras, but I found him frustrating during the u-18s.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Powers is the real deal. I watched him in the World Championships and he was impressive. He's going to be a top pairing D. Maybe not Hedman, but the skills are definitely there to be an Ekblad/Ohlund/Edler type.

I'm glad to hear he's probably going back to Michigan. I think that's a good move for him. Matures a little, plays for NCAA championship and WJCs too, hopefully.

Guenther I have concerns about. Great shot, but not necessarily great shot selection. Tends to be a perimeter player and primarily scores off the rush. Maybe if Anaheim takes him and plays him with Zegras, but I found him frustrating during the u-18s.
He's my guy at #1, FWIW. At the very worst he's still a career top 3 minutes guy on any team, he's about as safe a pick as you can have. He could probably play in the big league right now and not look out of place. He doesn't have that wow factor but he's solid all around.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone else very high on Mackie Samoskevich?

I believe his injury and the fact that he wasn't put back at C upon returning makes him fly under the radar. When he played with Farrell at the start of the season (prior to his injury), I felt like he was the one driving the play on the line and was a constant threat. The stats aren't there, but he's super exciting to watch and possesses a good amount of tools.

He's a tremendous skater who plays a high speed game. The 3 steps are excellent, the top speed is very high and his edgework is great. He's got perhaps some of the best mitts in this draft class. I love how deceptive he can be in transition and on the rush and how creative and versatile he is on offense. His passes are crisp and precise, and his shot's got power and accuracy (very quick release too). He can even crash the net if there's an opportunity. He works hard without the puck and isn't a defensive wizard but brings a constant effort in trying to prevent plays from the opponent to happen. He's not the strongest guy either, but he can hold his own in 50-50s and along the boards due to his strong skating abilities and good balance. Adding some muscle will help him a bunch.

Anyway, in my opinion I believe his game will transition better to the pros than his teammate Coronato, and when all is said and done I think he could end up being a top 10 player in a future redraft. I expect him to be gone before the Habs speak, but if he's there they should be all over him.

yes, have been hoping he's our guy, saw him this year when watching Farrell.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With the OHL season never starting due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, Wyatt Johnston did not have much opportunity to showcase his skills in his draft season. While other top OHL-based prospects joined European teams on loans for the year, Johnston did not head overseas and did not get the opportunity to advance his career. Fortunately, he still made Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Plano, Texas this spring. Johnston scored two goals and two assists in the seven-game tournament. He also helped Team Canada win the gold medal.

Drafted sixth overall by the Windsor Spitfires in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Johnston had a strong rookie season in 2019-20. He scored 12 goals and 30 points in 53 games. Johnston also played for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and five points in five tournament games.

Johnston came up in the Toronto Marlboros system. In 2018-19 he scored 48 goals and 46 assists for 94 points in 73 games in his last year of Midget-AAA hockey. Johnston’s older sister, Quinn Johnston, is playing university hockey in Kingston as part of the Queen’s Golden Gaels in USports.

2021 NHL Draft #54: Wyatt Johnston Scouting Report

Drafted in the second round, 42nd overall by the Everett Silvertips in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, Owen Zellweger had a real breakout season this year. He went from a bit part in 2019-20 to one of the key members of the team. The Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta native put up two goals and 11 assists for 13 points in 11 games during this COVID shortened season. He also joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Zellweger scored one goal and seven assists for eight points in seven tournament games. He helped Team Canada come home from Plano, Texas with the gold medal.

In 2019-20 Zellweger scored two goals and 10 assists for 12 points in 58 games. He also played for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up two assists in five tournament games. In 2018-19 Zellweger played for Team Alberta at the Canada Winter Games. He put up one goal and one assist for two points in six games and helped the team to a bronze medal. Zellweger also made his WHL debut, getting in one game for the Silvertips. He put up 27 points in 35 games for Edmonton Prep.

2021 NHL Draft #55: Olen Zellweger Scouting Report

Playing in the Jokerit system, centre Samu Salminen spent the season with their affiliate in the Finnish Under-20 League. Salminen scored 10 goals and 16 assists for 26 points in 17 games. He also had an incredible 70.2% face-off percentage, the best in the entire league. Salminen played with the Finnish team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He was named team captain. Salminen had an outstanding tournament with seven goals and two assists for nine points in seven games.

In 2019-20 Salminen played in 23 games in the Under-20 league. He scored seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points in that time. He also played seven games in the Under-18 league, putting up eight goals and 15 assists for an incredible 23 points. Salminen represented Finland at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored three goals and five points in five games. Salminen is committed to playing NCAA hockey for the Denver Pioneers next year. Salminen comes from a hockey family. Older brother Saku Salminen also came up through the Jokerit system, playing for the team in the Liiga and KHL. Sami Salminen played for Northern Michigan and is playing pro hockey in the Mestis.

2021 NHL Draft #56: Samu Salminen Scouting Report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Draft is three weeks away!

Could be some absolute steals in the draft. I’m hoping they have a guy on their radar like a subban or Romanov at that spot.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He won't be there at the 60s and this draft is an absolute crap shoot.

He's just a nice smooth skating right shot D who has some really great handles and passing. It's a dire need in the prospect pool.

Most years drafts are crapshoot, even though some 'respects' usual rankings from experts. But this year, damn, there'll be a lot of 'gut feeling' picks. And can't wait to see if those'll be good picks or not, could change the way rankings are made in the future.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Who would use a pick at Aito Iguchi?
We all saw the viral video, but he isn’t on many list.
There's not much to go with scouting material wise, I wouldn't even know how to rate him honestly. That and he's listed at 5 ft 3 and about 120 lbs, which would make Caufield look like the amazing hulk next to him.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Draft is gonna be such a large crapshoot this year. Maybe even an XL crapshoot. Are there XXL crapshoots? If so, then that’s what the draft will be. An XXL crapshoot.

Reactions: bopeep

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He won't be there at the 60s and this draft is an absolute crap shoot.

He's just a nice smooth skating right shot D who has some really great handles and passing. It's a dire need in the prospect pool.

RD is the weakest position in our prospect pool but we aren’t overflowing at any position, I still want BPA especially early in the draft if it is a crap shoot I roll the dice that he be there in the second.

Reactions: Nedved

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
There's not much to go with scouting material wise, I wouldn't even know how to rate him honestly. That and he's listed at 5 ft 3 and about 120 lbs, which would make Caufield look like the amazing hulk next to him.

I would definitely used a 7th rounder even if it just a marketing gimmick, Asia could be a big market, regardless of size is skills might push or inspire other prospect… Anyway he can’t be worst than Ruscheninski.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
If we can draft Chase Stillman This is I'm a happy camper, He plays like Anderson but has more skill then Anderson i believe.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If we can draft Chase Stillman This is I'm a happy camper, He plays like Anderson but has more skill then Anderson i believe.
He's really high on my second round wish list but we have the two very last picks in that round and he's not making it to #61/62 . We're going to have to make a deal somehow if we really want him .

Reactions: bopeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad