2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
it's possible although would be more when we had 14 picks instead of 11, but with taking 2 goalies in the last 2 drafts in the later rounds, maybe they don't this year unless someone they really like falls perhaps. I assume they trade some picks for '22/'23 picks.

It will be much harder this year, I don't think it's a realistic expectation at all.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the second round, 34th Overall by the Seattle Thunderbirds, in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, Conner Roulette quickly became a key part of the team. Roulette played just one game in the 2018-19 season, while he was limited by the WHL’s rules limiting the number of games an underager can play. He put up 88 points in 43 games with Winnipeg in the MMHL. In his rookie WHL season, Roulette scored 19 goals and 20 assists for 39 points in 54 games with the team in 2019-20. Roulette was also selected to play for Team Canada Red at the 2019 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals in four tournament games.

This season was, of course, limited by the COVID-19 Pandemic. As a result, Roulette was limited to just 11 games with the Thunderbirds. He was excellent in that time, scoring six goals and six assists for 12 points. Roulette was also selected to play for Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He picked up two goals and three assists for five points in seven tournament games. Roullette helped the Canadian team come home from Texas with the gold medal.

2021 NHL Draft #46: Conner Roulette Scouting Report

The grandson of former NHLer Bud Stefanski, son of former NHLer Cory Stillman, and brother of Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Riley Stillman, Chase Stillman is looking to carry on the family legacy in the 2021 NHL Draft. Still was drafted by the Sudbury Wolves in the second round, 25th overall, at the 2019 OHL Priority Draft. He put up 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points in 58 games as a rookie. Stillman was named to the OHL First All-Rookie Team. He also played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He had three goals and an assist for four points in six games.

Last season Stillman played for Esberg’s Under-20 Team in the Danish Junior League when the OHL season did not start. He scored nine goals and seven assists for 16 points in eight games. He also joined Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, playing for Team Canada and winning a gold medal. Stillman put up two goals and two assists for four points in seven tournament games. Having appeared in an IIHF tournament for Canada, Stillman has declared his international eligibility. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri.

2021 NHL Draft #47: Chase Stillman Scouting Report

And a report from Kyle Perreria

Dylan Guenther, born April 10th, 2003, is an 18-year-old winger who played for the WHL’s Edmonton Oil Kings and the AJHL’s Sherwood Park Crusaders. Standing at 6’1” and 181 pounds, Guenther held his own physically in both leagues. In fact, Guenther recorded three goals and two assists for five points in four AJHL games. He also tallied 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points in just 12 WHL games. Guenther was then invited to play for Team Canada at the IIHF U18 World Junior Championships. He tallied four goals and three assists for seven points in seven total games, en route to a gold medal victory.

Per Elite Prospects consolidated rankings, looking at various experts and outlets, Guenther ranks seventh. Among those used in the consolidated rankings, Guenther ranks as high as second by TSN’s Bob McKenzie and as late as 12th by Dobber Prospects and The Puck Authority. Personally, Guenther is ranked 19th. That is far lower than many experts, but to clarify a bit more, he’s in the 10-19 range tier. Regardless, I am a bit lower than most, so let’s get into why.

2021 Draft Prospect Profile: Dylan Guenther - Last Word On Hockey

Reactions: Scintillating10

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
We are less than a month away from the 2021 NHL Draft, and with that in mind, we are ready to release the annual LWOS NHL Mock Draft. We will go through the first two rounds of the draft, in four parts, breaking up the non-playoff teams and playoff teams.

For those who haven’t read the LWOS mock before here are the rules.

1) No trades except for those that have already been made by NHL teams.
2) A two-round Mock draft will be done in four parts. The first part comes out today. More parts will be added in time.
3) Clicking the Player’s name will bring you to a full scouting report.

So with that out of the way, I present the LWOS 2021 NHL Mock Draft.

2021 NHL Mock Draft: The Lottery Picks - Last Word on Sports

2021 NHL Mock Draft: Last Word On Sports Part 2 - Picks 16-31

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Breaking into one of the top KHL teams, such as CSKA Moscow, is difficult for a draft-eligible player. As a result, 17-year-old forward Prokhor Poltapov played just one KHL game this season. He got plenty of ice time in the Russian Junior League, the MHL. Poltapov scored 25 goals and 27 assists for 52 points in 61 games with Krasnaya Armiya Moskva. He also added two goals and an assist in six playoff games. Poltapov joined the Russian team at the IIHF Under-20 World Championships. He put up two goals and five assists for seven points in seven tournament games. Poltapov helped the Russian team to a silver medal.

In 2019-20 Poltapov scored eight goals and 12 points in 23 MHL games. He also put up three goals and seven points in three games in the Under-18 Russian league. Poltapov added five goals and nine points in 11 games in the Under-17 league. At the international level, Poltapov was part of the Russian team at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored three goals and four assists for seven points in six tournament games. Poltapov helped the Russian team win the tournament and bring home the gold medal.

2021 NHL Draft #48: Prokhor Poltapov Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted sixth overall by the Val D’or Foreurs in the 2019 QMJHL Draft, Evan Nause instead choose to play in the USHL where he was a seventh-round pick of the Sioux Falls Stampede. At the time, Nause indicated that he wanted to play NCAA hockey and thus kept his options open in the USHL. He put up three goals and 14 assists for 17 points in 44 games. Nause was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. He also captained Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up just one assist in five tournament games.

Nause reconsidered his hockey future when faced with the COVID-19 Pandemic. He was drafted fifth overall by the Quebec Remparts in the 2020 QMJHL Draft and choose to sign with the team. Nause scored four goals and 18 assists for 22 points in 32 games this season. He also added a goal and an assist in six playoff games. Nause was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team following his strong season in Quebec. His older brother, Ryan Nause, is also playing high-end hockey, spending this past season with Aberni Valley in the BCHL.

2021 NHL Draft #49: Evan Nause Scouting Report

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Drafted sixth overall by the Val D’or Foreurs in the 2019 QMJHL Draft, Evan Nause instead choose to play in the USHL where he was a seventh-round pick of the Sioux Falls Stampede. At the time, Nause indicated that he wanted to play NCAA hockey and thus kept his options open in the USHL. He put up three goals and 14 assists for 17 points in 44 games. Nause was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. He also captained Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up just one assist in five tournament games.

Nause reconsidered his hockey future when faced with the COVID-19 Pandemic. He was drafted fifth overall by the Quebec Remparts in the 2020 QMJHL Draft and choose to sign with the team. Nause scored four goals and 18 assists for 22 points in 32 games this season. He also added a goal and an assist in six playoff games. Nause was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team following his strong season in Quebec. His older brother, Ryan Nause, is also playing high-end hockey, spending this past season with Aberni Valley in the BCHL.

2021 NHL Draft #49: Evan Nause Scouting Report

What's your take on the draft class in general? Does anything stand out to you? Do you think there will be more overagers or longshots taken this year?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
What's your take on the draft class in general? Does anything stand out to you? Do you think there will be more overagers or longshots taken this year?

The top of this draft is considerably weaker than recent drafts, and considerably weaker than 2022 and 2023 project to be. If you are looking for a centre it is especially weak, but there are a few good defenders.

Beyond that, I think it will be one of the most unpredictable drafts in year, I'm usually about 24-28 of my top 31 taken in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm under 20 this year. I just haven't been able to see as much of players because a lot of them have just played fewer games than in previous years. I think this could be a lost development year for a lot of the top prospects and they may need a little longer before they are NHL ready as a result. Its also going to be a lot less predictable because we have less of what these players are, and more projecting what they will be.

I think we will see the same total number of NHLers out of this draft when we look back 5 or 6 years from now. But we will see less than normal in the first and second round and more steals in rounds 5, 6, 7. Guys will just be harder to predict.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
My apologies if it’s been asked already but does anyone know if there is going to be a mock draft this year?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
My apologies if it’s been asked already but does anyone know if there is going to be a mock draft this year?

I usually run the Early Bird draft, but we're long past being early. I didn't bother this year because the draft interest just hasn't been there. In a normal draft year, this thread would be on part 10 by now - at least. We're only on 2.

However, I've been thinking about doing a 3-4 round draft once the playoffs are done. There isn't enough time to do a full 7 round one. Draft is 20 days away (July 23).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I usually run the Early Bird draft, but we're long past being early. I didn't bother this year because the draft interest just hasn't been there. In a normal draft year, this thread would be on part 10 by now - at least. We're only on 2.

However, I've been thinking about doing a 3-4 round draft once the playoffs are done. There isn't enough time to do a full 7 round one. Draft is 20 days away (July 23).

It's a pretty unsexy crop and we were never going to have a top 10 pick anyway, I guess we can't blame people too much about not caring about it . I 100% still want us to do our usual mock though, it's always fun and it's a board tradition. A shorter one would be a good compromise.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born in Haddonfield, New Jersey, forward Tyler Boucher has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. This past year he was limited by a series knee injury suffered in January. He played just 12 games for the Under-18 team, scoring six goals and five assists for 11 points. Rehabbing his injured knee, he also played two games for the Under-17 team, scoring three goals. Boucher ended up missing out on the IIHF Under-18 World Championships as a result of his injury.

In 2019-20 Boucher put up nine goals and 17 assists for 26 points in 43 games with the Under-17 team. He also won a silver medal playing with Team USA at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Boucher scored a goal and three assists for four points in six tournament games.

Boucher is the son of former NHL goaltender Brian Boucher. He is committed to playing NCAA Division One hockey for the Boston University Terriers next season. Should he change his mind and opt to head to the CHL, his rights are owned by the Ottawa 67s who took him in the 7th round of the 2019 OHL Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #50: Tyler Boucher Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One of my faves for the Habs 2nd round picks, especially with the need on RD in the system.

----

Drafted in the second round, 33rd overall in the 2019 OHL Draft by the London Knights, Logan Mailloux has not taken the traditional route to the NHL Draft. The Knights have been one of the best organizations in hockey at developing young talent and were already stacked on the blueline in 2019-20. Mailloux got in just four games with the Knights as an OHL rookie. Instead, Mailloux played 48 games for the London Nationals in the GOJHL. He scored 18 goals and 50 assists for 68 points in 48 games. He also had two goals and two assists for four points in five playoff games. Mailloux led the league in points by a rookie. He won a number of awards including OHA Top Prospect, GOJHL Rookie of the Year, and Most Outstanding First Year Defenseman for his efforts.

He was expected to play in the OHL this season, but the global pandemic meant that the league never had a season. Mailloux went to Sweden, where he played for Lejon in the Hockey Ettan, the third division of Swedish Men's Hockey. He put up seven goals and eight assists for 15 points in 19 games.

2021 NHL Draft #51: Logan Mailloux Scouting Report

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One of my faves for the Habs 2nd round picks, especially with the need on RD in the system.

----

Drafted in the second round, 33rd overall in the 2019 OHL Draft by the London Knights, Logan Mailloux has not taken the traditional route to the NHL Draft. The Knights have been one of the best organizations in hockey at developing young talent and were already stacked on the blueline in 2019-20. Mailloux got in just four games with the Knights as an OHL rookie. Instead, Mailloux played 48 games for the London Nationals in the GOJHL. He scored 18 goals and 50 assists for 68 points in 48 games. He also had two goals and two assists for four points in five playoff games. Mailloux led the league in points by a rookie. He won a number of awards including OHA Top Prospect, GOJHL Rookie of the Year, and Most Outstanding First Year Defenseman for his efforts.

He was expected to play in the OHL this season, but the global pandemic meant that the league never had a season. Mailloux went to Sweden, where he played for Lejon in the Hockey Ettan, the third division of Swedish Men's Hockey. He put up seven goals and eight assists for 15 points in 19 games.

2021 NHL Draft #51: Logan Mailloux Scouting Report

He's a pure diamond in the rough type for sure. That tool box is pretty darn impressive and the London program has one of the best track record for producing NHLers so he's in the perfect place to harness it. The Hunters can work with a piece of clay like few can.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Oliver Kapanen was able to make his professional hockey debut this season, playing five games for JoKP in the Mestis, the second division of Finnish hockey. He scored three goals and two assists for five points in that short loan. He also played for Kalpa's junior team in the Finnish Under-20 league. In 37 games, Kapanen scored 25 goals and 16 assists for 41 points. He joined the Finnish Team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He suffered a scary injury in the tournament but has recovered.

In 2019-20, Kapanen played just two games in the Finnish Under-20 league as he was just 16 years old. He scored a goal in that brief appearance. However, he was dominant in the Under-18 league. Kapanen put up 23 goals as well as 50 points in 44 games. His efforts earned him a spot on the league's First All-Star Team.

Kapanen comes from great hockey bloodlines. His uncle is former NHLer Sami Kapanen, and his cousin is current Pittsburgh Penguins winger Kasperi Kapanen. Oliver Kapanen's father, Kimmo Kapanen, was a goaltender who spent a number of seasons playing professional hockey in Finland. His grandfather, Hannu Kapanen, also played professional hockey in Finland.

2021 NHL Draft #52: Oliver Kapanen Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He's a pure diamond in the rough type for sure. That tool box is pretty darn impressive and the London program has one of the best track record for producing NHLers so he's in the perfect place to harness it. The Hunters can work with a piece of clay like few can.

Yeah the London connection is really intriguing to me too. So many players who had limited icetime in their draft years have exploded afterwards with that team.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's a pretty unsexy crop and we were never going to have a top 10 pick anyway, I guess we can't blame people too much about not caring about it . I 100% still want us to do our usual mock though, it's always fun and it's a board tradition. A shorter one would be a good compromise.
I would also still be up to do the mock draft even if it is a shorten one

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Shattuck St. Mary’s high school program is legendary for its hockey development. However, being an elite prep school, it is rare that prospects spend their draft year with the team. Normally a player is with the school for their 15-year-old or 16-year-old seasons and then moves on for their draft year. This season, the global pandemic created an exception as defenceman Scott Morrow choose to stay in school rather than going to a new environment. Morrow scored eight goals and 40 assists for 48 points in 30 games with the Sabres. He also joined the Fargo Force for the USHL playoffs, playing six games.

In 2019-20 Morrow scored 22 goals and 45 assists for 67 points in 46 games with Shattuck. He also appeared in two games for the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL, picking up an assist. The Darien, Connecticut native will be headed closer to home for his college hockey career. He is committed to playing Division One hockey for the University of Massachusetts Minutemen next season. Morrow’s CHL rights are owned by the Val D’Or Foreurs who drafted him in the second round, 21st overall, of the 2018 QMJHL American Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #53: Scott Morrow Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->