2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
i've seen it said about drafts where they were both right and wrong so you never really know until a lot of time goes past. The fact that there are rumors starting to float about teams picking in the top 10 possibly looking to trade the pick says a lot and I don't really care what what's being projected for the top 10 but if you can get a Samoskevich in the 2nd round then that also says something. I can't recall the last time I wouldn't really want a top 10 pick, not saying I would complain if we got one but it just looks like you can do better with later picks since the draft is so wide open.

I think trades are more pushed by the amount of action we'll see with the expansion draft, Eichel wanting to change address, the fixed cap etc. The table is set for a lot of action, the fact that the draft is bad is a minor factor imo (I think will see some 2022 picks change hands a lot, and that would talk louder about the quality of this draft).

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I think trades are more pushed by the amount of action we'll see with the expansion draft, Eichel wanting to change address, the fixed cap etc. The table is set for a lot of action, the fact that the draft is bad is a minor factor imo (I think will see some 2022 picks change hands a lot, and that would talk louder about the quality of this draft).

maybe he can go to Tampa. I’m sure they’ll find a way to fit him under the cap.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

Do you think it's a quality thing? or a lack of hockey over the last 2 years and not getting to see development thing?

Reactions: Garp and WinterLion

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Do you think it's a quality thing? or a lack of hockey over the last 2 years and not getting to see development thing?

It's a quality thing, not much to do about the development. This was announced as a terrible draft from 3-4 years out. The 2022s top 10 would be the top 10 in 2021 or close.

Reactions: Nedved
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Is Zachary L'Heureux the guy we need to replace Gallagher? Per Pronman, projected to go 29th

L’Heureux is hard to miss when he’s on the ice. He’s a little fireball who is full of skill. He is a very imaginative puckhandler, with some of the best hands in the draft who can beat most defenders with his dekes. If he can’t get through someone with his skill, he shows no fear to lower his shoulder and barrel towards the net. He’s also quite physical off the puck and competes at a high level. For a 5-foot-11 player, he lacks the skating ability you’d like to see to separate from checks. The talent and production is great, but he was suspended several times this season, including for spitting on a player. In a sentence, L’Heureux projects as a middle-six NHL winger who will need to control his aggression.

Sounds a bit like Marchand too.

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Drafting goalies early is a trend right now. If in the next Stanley Cup finals we have Frederik Andersen vs Grubauer, everyone will say that it is not worth it to draft goalie early...

If you think the goalie will be a generational talent, go ahead and take it early. But if you think he will be an first, but not incredible, I would not draft him.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Pinelli gonna be there for us?
Saw him there in a mock draft - looks solid.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
If this kid drops that far I would love it. He’s got some attitude problems but they can be fixed he’s a horse
Is Zachary L'Heureux the guy we need to replace Gallagher? Per Pronman, projected to go 29th

L’Heureux is hard to miss when he’s on the ice. He’s a little fireball who is full of skill. He is a very imaginative puckhandler, with some of the best hands in the draft who can beat most defenders with his dekes. If he can’t get through someone with his skill, he shows no fear to lower his shoulder and barrel towards the net. He’s also quite physical off the puck and competes at a high level. For a 5-foot-11 player, he lacks the skating ability you’d like to see to separate from checks. The talent and production is great, but he was suspended several times this season, including for spitting on a player. In a sentence, L’Heureux projects as a middle-six NHL winger who will need to control his aggression.

Reactions: Saxon

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal

Sounds like a good pick at our draft position based on the description

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We have so many picks again this year that I do see them taking one goalie somewhere in there. Probably in the later rounds though, a la Dobes/Dichow. Look for a big, raw guy that you can sit on for a while and kinda forget about.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
We have too many picks and we need quality players. I am all in for trading current picks for immediate help. Possibly targeting Seattle that are rebuilding their prospect pool.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We have too many picks and we need quality players. I am all in for trading current picks for immediate help. Possibly targeting Seattle that are rebuilding their prospect pool.

As much as I like most of our kids, we really just have too many at this point. I think MB realizes that too. It'll be an interesting offseason

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We have so many picks again this year that I do see them taking one goalie somewhere in there. Probably in the later rounds though, a la Dobes/Dichow. Look for a big, raw guy that you can sit on for a while and kinda forget about.

it's possible although would be more when we had 14 picks instead of 11, but with taking 2 goalies in the last 2 drafts in the later rounds, maybe they don't this year unless someone they really like falls perhaps. I assume they trade some picks for '22/'23 picks.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Definitely need to select a goalie in the first 3 rounds. Need someone who will come up and can take the torch from Carey. Primeau may be that guy yet but it’s too risky to leave it up to just him.

Reactions: Locks

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

We have back to back 2nd round picks, so I'd be good with Tristan Lennox (G) and a RD pick, like Ty Gallagher or Oscar Plandowski.

Unless we take a RD at #30, like Heimosalmi, Morrow, or Ceulemans. Then go Lennox/F.

Reactions: bopeep

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We have back to back 2nd round picks, so I'd be good with Tristan Lennox (G) and a RD pick, like Ty Gallagher or Oscar Plandowski.

Unless we take a RD at #30, like Heimosalmi, Morrow, or Ceulemans. Then go Lennox/F.

He would be a very interesting pick for sure, he's got the ideal modern goalie frame and plenty of athletisim to work with. He's also already really good at handling the puck, kinda Price-like in that department even. Teams might sleep on him a bit since he didn't play at all in 2020-21, plus he had kind of a disappointing 19-20 season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->