2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's great that even with this run we will have 5 picks in the top 100. I guess both our 2nd are going to be pretty late though... still it's probably a good year to take some chances with those middle picks... although who knows...

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
30 or 31 now. That's ok. Still think we can grab a top 6 forward or top 4D in that range.

Don't actually think there's that huge a difference between what's there at our original spot of 16 and 30th/31st.

with all the COVID and limited play and development I expect the draft to be more unpredictable than normal. I’m curious how many 2nd 3rd and 4th rounders make it to the nhl. Will it be the same/lower/higher number of guys from later rounds to go on with careers. COVID has turned developmental leagues upside down.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The United States National Team Development Program has produced a number of good defencemen in recent years. 2021 is no different, as we have already reviewed Luke Hughes and Sean Behrens. The third member of the team’s big three offensive defencemen is Aidan Hreschuk. Hreschuk scored six goals and 31 assists for 37 points in 50 games with the Under-18 squad this past season. He also added two assists in five tournament games at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Unfortunately, the U.S. squad fell in the quarterfinals.

In 2019-20, Hreschuk played for the NTDP Under-17 team. He scored four goals and 20 assists for 24 points in 49 games. He helped the U.S. team to a silver medal at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Hreschuk scored two goals and two assists for four points in six tournament games. Hreschuk is committed to playing NCAA Hockey for the Boston College Eagles next season. Should he change his mind and opt to go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Prince George Cougars of the WHL. Hreschuk is yet another prospect from the Los Angeles area, highlighting the growth of the game in the area.

2021 NHL Draft #42: Aidan Hreschuk Scouting Report

Dylan Duke was one of the top scorers on this year’s US National Team Development Program Under-18 Team. He scored 29 goals and 20 assists for 49 points in 50 games. The Strongsville, Ohio native also played for Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored three goals and an assist for four points in five tournament games. The American coaching staff named Duke one of the top three players on the team. Unfortunately, the American team lost in the quarterfinals.

In 2019-20, Duke scored 29 goals and 18 assists for 47 points in 46 games with the NTDP Under-17 team. He also had a short call-up to the Under-18 squad, picking up one assist in six games. Duke helped the US team to a silver medal at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored five goals and three assists for eight points in six tournament games.

Duke is committed to playing NCAA Hockey for the University of Michigan Wolverines next season. Should Duke opt to change his mind and go the CHL Route, his rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit. His father, Steve Duke had a pro career in the AHL and ECHL.

2021 NHL Draft #43: Dylan Duke Scouting Report - LWOS

Drafted by the Peterborough Petes in the third round, 52nd overall, at the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, defenceman Jack Bar opted to continue playing prep school hockey at St. Andrew’s College in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility. He has been focused on his education and is now committed to Harvard University, after all. Bar also helped St. Andrew’s win the CISAA Championship in 2019.

With the 2020-21 season never starting in Ontario, Bar went to British Columbia. to play for the Penticton Vees in the BCHL. However, after just a few preseason games, the COVID-19 Pandemic again wreaked havoc on Bar’s plans cancelling another hockey season. Bar eventually decided to head to the USHL, joining the Chicago Steel. It was a good decision as he joined a dominant team but also was able to take a big role on the blue line. Bar was just what the Steel needed and he would help the team win the 2021 Clark Cup. Bar scored five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 34 regular-season games. He also added one assist in seven playoff games for the Steel.

2021 NHL Draft #44: Jack Bar Scouting Report - LWOS

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born May 15th, 2003, in Scottsdale, Arizona, Savage is a versatile forward, who can play just about any forward position. Primarily playing center, the 5’11” and 181-pound forward most recently played for the US National U18 team and the USNTDP in the USHL. For the U18 team, he produced 18 goals and 24 assists for 42 points in 46 games. Meanwhile, for the USNTDP, Savage recorded 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 22 games.

Also playing in the U18 World Junior Championship with the United States, Savage wore the “C” as captain and recorded just one goal in 5 games. Overall, his performance and subsequent production have earned him a ranking as high as 43rd by McKeen’s Hockey and as low as 89th by Dobber Prospects. On my personal board, Savage ranks 23rd. While that may seem very high, his low rankings from other experts could be due to his not-so-great World Juniors performance more than anything else. Savage is committed to Miami University in Ohio for the 2021-22 season.

2021 Draft Class Profile: Red Savage Deep Dive - Last Word On Hockey

Playing in the Dynamo Moscow system, Alexander Kisakov has not yet made his KHL debut but has dominated at the MHL level this past season. In 61 games he scored 36 goals and 37 assists for 73 points. He also added five goals and five assists for 10 points in 14 playoff games, helping lead Dynamo Moscow to the MHL title. It was a big improvement on his 2019-20 season when Kisakov played 34 games at the MHL level, scoring two goals and 16 assists for 18 points. He also played in four games for the Russian Under-18 that year, scoring two goals and three assists for five points. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 Pandemic cancelled the 2020 IIHF Under-18s and he was unable to show off his skills in the signature tournament.

In 2018-19 Kisakov was limited to just five MHL games, picking up two assists. He also played eight games in the Under-18 Russian League, scoring three goals and six assists for nine points. In 19 games at the Under-17 level, he scored eight goals and 11 assists for 19 points. Kisakov also played in seven games for the Russian Under-17 team, picking up two assists.

2021 NHL Draft #45: Alexander Kisakov Scouting Report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
with all the COVID and limited play and development I expect the draft to be more unpredictable than normal. I’m curious how many 2nd 3rd and 4th rounders make it to the nhl. Will it be the same/lower/higher number of guys from later rounds to go on with careers. COVID has turned developmental leagues upside down.

So much disruption :(

I think we’ll see some late round steals in 2021 and a huge increase in overage picks in 2022

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Carey Price will be 34 years old next season. Should we use our first or second pick to draft a goalie???

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Carey Price will be 34 years old next season. Should we use our first or second pick to draft a goalie???

Wallstedt and Cossa will probably be gone by our pick.

Don’t think its worth it for this year. But I’m open for it any talent like Hart, Knight, Askarov or Wallstedt would be nice to add

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Wallstedt and Cossa will probably be gone by our pick.

Don’t think its worth it for this year. But I’m open for it any talent like Hart, Knight, Askarov or Wallstedt would be nice to add
Maybe we can use some of our other picks to move up for Wallstedt? How high is he supposed to go?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Maybe we can use some of our other picks to move up for Wallstedt? How high is he supposed to go?

It’s hard to say really. Wallstedt is ranked in the top 10 of most draft lists deservingly so. He even figures at 10th on McKenzie’s list which is a good indicator. Many teams in the top 10 could use a goalie prospect of that level in their pipelines. Habs can’t jump in the top 10 with the picks they have especially that he could be picked before that.

Cossa is intriguing because of his size, a big 6’6 goalie with amazing stats this year. Not as good as Wallstedt technically, in my opinion, but a lot of athleticism. I doubt he goes past 20th. He sometimes flops around and gives some rebound but there is so much to work with.

It’s always hard to judge for goalies because some teams just don’t draft them in the first round. I really like Wallstedt because of his composure and calm in front of the net. He’s really talented goaltender.

Habs have a lot of picks but I doubt they trade up unless its 2-4 spots if theres a player they really like.

Reactions: Gravity

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why??? We do need a solid prospect in the goalie position. During Bob Gainey era, we had so many ''good'' goalie. Jose Theodore, Halak, Huet and Carey Price...

we have 2 solid goalie prospects in Primeau and Dobes who will be a Freshman next season so likely a ways out. There's a longer shot in Dichow, he hasn't played much due to covid but he'll be in Allsvenskan next year so I will get to see a bit of him. Plus McNiven has been really solid since he fixed a diet issue.

At some point they made need to use a high pick on a goalie but for now I hope they don't, we have almost no high skilled forward prospects, it's a huge hole.

Reactions: Gravity and Addik04

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
we have 2 solid goalie prospects in Primeau and Dobes who will be a Freshman next season so likely a ways out. There's a longer shot in Dichow, he hasn't played much due to covid but he'll be in Allsvenskan next year so I will get to see a bit of him. Plus McNiven has been really solid since he fixed a diet issue.

At some point they made need to use a high pick on a goalie but for now I hope they don't, we have almost no high skilled forward prospects, it's a huge hole.

Won't be fixed this year that's for sure. That's why I'm open to a goalie this year.

However, I think we need to draft an RD over everything else.

Reactions: bopeep

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Won't be fixed this year that's for sure. That's why I'm open to a goalie this year.

However, I think we need to draft an RD over everything else.

there's no way you could really know that, as it's impossible to know what the future holds for every forward prospect from this draft.

Forward is a bigger need then RD since so many LD's play RD more then LD.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
there's no way you could really know that, as it's impossible to know what the future holds for every forward prospect from this draft.

Forward is a bigger need then RD since so many LD's play RD more then LD.

I don't disagree, it's just not there much this year imo. History will tell, but all scouts have been saying the same thing about this draft from 3 years behind and covid has nothing to do with it (just makes it even worse if that is possible).

Stankoven is the example of the kind of hidden gem with a potentially misunderstood scoring ability - but he's not about skill. Guys like Mctavish are not close to the top 10 usually, they are barely in the first round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't disagree, it's just not there much this year imo. History will tell, but all scouts have been saying the same thing about this draft from 3 years behind and covid has nothing to do with it (just makes it even worse if that is possible).

Stankoven is the example of the kind of hidden gem with a potentially misunderstood scoring ability - but he's not about skill. Guys like Mctavish are not close to the top 10 usually, they are barely in the first round.

i've seen it said about drafts where they were both right and wrong so you never really know until a lot of time goes past. The fact that there are rumors starting to float about teams picking in the top 10 possibly looking to trade the pick says a lot and I don't really care what what's being projected for the top 10 but if you can get a Samoskevich in the 2nd round then that also says something. I can't recall the last time I wouldn't really want a top 10 pick, not saying I would complain if we got one but it just looks like you can do better with later picks since the draft is so wide open.

I'm not saying it isn't a bad draft year and it could end up being the worst of all time for all I know as I don't follow drafts that much any more and haven't for a long time but I know that the experts have been wrong before on the strength or weakness of a draft class heading into the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad