2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He looks like a great pick for us, but why ranked so low with his skill set ?

because he was injured and missed a chunk of time and his production wasn't that great once he returned. I had hockey.tv at the start of the USHL season so I saw him when it was Farrell Samoskevich Coronato line and I thought Samoskevich looked the best between the 2 '21 prospects but then he got injured and I didn't get to see much of him at all after that. I love that he's going to Michigan next year. I don't know if he's a center or a winger though going forward (as a pro), as he was used at both but I like him a lot.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Are there any strong goalies in that range? For some reason I'd like to get more goalies in the system, put pressure on Primeau and also to replace him if he doesn't pan out. Price is showing how important it is to have a solid G, and Montreal has a history of excelling at that position. Let's keep this tradition going.

If not, I hope for the highest upside possible from an offensive forward. Go for the homerun. Highest ceiling, regardless of safeness of the pick.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Are there any strong goalies in that range? For some reason I'd like to get more goalies in the system, put pressure on Primeau and also to replace him if he doesn't pan out. Price is showing how important it is to have a solid G, and Montreal has a history of excelling at that position. Let's keep this tradition going.

If not, I hope for the highest upside possible from an offensive forward. Go for the homerun. Highest ceiling, regardless of safeness of the pick.

I definitely want more goalies too. 1st round though? yeesh. Still it is a late 1st and I have literally no idea who's available or whatever. He'd have to be pretty dynamite though. I think if I was going to go positionally I'd go RD but at this point go with the homerun swing regardless of position

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I definitely want more goalies too. 1st round though? yeesh. Still it is a late 1st and I have literally no idea who's available or whatever. He'd have to be pretty dynamite though. I think if I was going to go positionally I'd go RD but at this point go with the homerun swing regardless of position

Well yeah. It depends if there's someone worth picking up. I trust Timmins' eye for goalies though, so I was just throwing the idea in the universe. We picked Price when we had Theodore at his peak. Let's now pick our next superstar goalie with Price near his peak.

While it's early to make line-up predictions, we must prepare for our future window, when Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, and the myriad of solid defensemen prospects are in their mid-to-late 20's. We need a goalie by that time, so it would be useful to pick one now. Primeau might be that guy though, but always best to have a few options.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
At #28-31 (a man can dream dammit) we won't have premier talent available, but there should still be some good pieces there.

If Pinelli is still on the board then he'd be a good pick but I doubt he lasts that long.

Aside from him I'd be happy with a guy like Morrow, Olausson or the two top QMJHL guys, though I don't think they make it past the 25th pick.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
E3mcwSFXoAAdI4r

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Olausson could definitely be a good late first bet for us. He's got quite a few raw tools to work with, including a good frame and excellent skating. If Rosen and L'Heureux are gone he'd probably be my guy. His ranking is all over the place though, he might be gone way sooner than that. Ditto for the other two really, who even knows at this point.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Olausson could definitely be a good late first bet for us. He's got quite a few raw tools to work with, including a good frame and excellent skating. If Rosen and L'Heureux are gone he'd probably be my guy. His ranking is all over the place though, he might be gone way sooner than that.

He could be good or Scott Morrow as a project RD.

Bolduc or Bourgault wouldn't be bad gambles at our position now.

Ryan Winterton is another one who impressed me at the U-18s as a guy who could be a middle six winger.

Another guy I like is Ryder Korczak. He had a pretty successful PPG WHL season this year and has a lot of talent, just needs to shoot more.

Chibrikov is likely a pipe-dream now.. but Koivunen looked great at the U-18, as did Poltapov as a heavy player.

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He could be good or Scott Morrow as a project RD.

Bolduc or Bourgault wouldn't be bad gambles at our position now.

Ryan Winterton is another one who impressed me at the U-18s as a guy who could be a middle six winger.

Another guy I like is Ryder Korczak. He had a pretty successful PPG WHL season this year and has a lot of talent, just needs to shoot more.

Chibrikov is likely a pipe-dream now.. but Koivunen looked great at the U-18, as did Poltapov as a heavy player.

The U18 might inflate their stock but guys like Winterton, Koivunen and Poltapov I see going more early-ish second round. This is a weird year though so stuff could happen.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The U18 might inflate their stock but guys like Winterton, Koivunen and Poltapov I see going more early-ish second round. This is a weird year though so stuff could happen.

Agreed but seeing as we are at the tail end of the first, all those early 2nd round guys can be an option due to the uncertainty.

I like the idea of gambling on players we didn't see much of, they may not have gotten into a rhythm. Though Koivunen and Poltapov played more than Winterton or Korczak got to.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Agreed but seeing as we are at the tail end of the first, all those early 2nd round guys can be an option due to the uncertainty.

I like the idea of gambling on players we didn't see much of, they may not have gotten into a rhythm. Though Koivunen and Poltapov played more than Winterton or Korczak got to.
They are all toolsy guys at least, more than a lot of late first picks tend to be (ours in any case) .

Reactions: WeThreeKings

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'm not very bullish on Korczak at this point. He strikes me as one of those, "good at everything, not great at anything" types that the WHL pumps out a decent amount of.

Not sure what @Stive Morgan thinks though.

Olen Zellweger is a name I haven't seen thrown around here, I really like the kid. Smooth skating offensive D-man who is playing in one of our favourite scouting grounds in Everett. He checks a lot of boxes as far as 'new NHL' types go.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'm not very bullish on Korczak at this point. He strikes me as one of those, "good at everything, not great at anything" types that the WHL pumps out a decent amount of.

Not sure what @Stive Morgan thinks though.

Olen Zellweger is a name I haven't seen thrown around here, I really like the kid. Smooth skating offensive D-man who is playing in one of our favourite scouting grounds in Everett. He checks a lot of boxes as far as 'new NHL' types go.
Not sure about Korczak either. I'm always skeptical of prospects who have only been good for one year (although his potential has always been there) and he seems to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" type as you said which are basically dime a dozen.

Zellweger is my 1st round target. That kid is slick as hell, he's a gamer, and of course there's the Everett/Fairbrother connection too as you said. He even exceeded my expectations I had for him this year. We really need fast, slick-skating PMD like him. Especially for 3-on-3 OT lol

Reactions: covfefe

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Olausson could definitely be a good late first bet for us. He's got quite a few raw tools to work with, including a good frame and excellent skating. If Rosen and L'Heureux are gone he'd probably be my guy. His ranking is all over the place though, he might be gone way sooner than that. Ditto for the other two really, who even knows at this point.
Agreed. I'd add Stromgren to those as well - impressive U18's

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If a guy has really good skating, a good wrist shot and ability to handle the puck then he is at least of interest for me. Then you look at the rest of the game , size etc.

Locks

May 28, 2005

I have not seen Olausson play and the reports I saw say that he has some great tools. But some question his IQ/decision-making although one service - Smaht - specifically refutes those concerns. Any comment on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->