2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So what do we think of Lysell ? He has the skating and offensive tools it seems. So if there do we take him, or Sillinger?

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Ohhh i thought u meant a prospect for the badgers , which he was since it was his freshman year but he’s older yeah

Locks

May 28, 2005
So what do we think of Lysell ? He has the skating and offensive tools it seems. So if there do we take him, or Sillinger?

If we go by the current ranking, neither should be available when we pick. But things do happen every year so it it possible that one of them drops a little to be there at 16, but probably not both. I know people have discussed Sillinger quite a bit here but as of today, he will have to drop to be there at 16. I am more focused on the guys like Lambos, Chibrikov and Rosen who should more realistically be there.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Man, central scouting sucks

I don't even like Beniers but Guenther blows

Guenther is talented, but he's also a super soft perimeter player. Great hands. Can make plays. Dangerous with open ice. But, man, he frustrated me with his non-threatening perimeter shooting in u18s. Just loved that soft 50 foot shot on goal too much instead of considering better options.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Guenther is talented, but he's also a super soft perimeter player. Great hands. Can make plays. Dangerous with open ice. But, man, he frustrated me with his non-threatening perimeter shooting in u18s. Just loved that soft 50 foot shot on goal too much instead of considering better options.

Decision making was incredibly frustrating.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Kent Johnson being #3 NA is insane. Skilled, for sure... But so flawed.

Note that Ive caught 3 games, so maybe idk.

Also, is Lysell really ranked 9th as a euro??? Does that mean he could fall in the Habs range ? Wtf? Thought that kid was a surefire top 5 pick.
Guenther is much better, or at least safer imo

Reactions: xa123

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
WTK seems to think Guenther sux

He's underwhelming for sure if you add the fact some considered him at #1 not so long ago.

IMO Beniers, Hughes, Power, Eklund and Clark are all okay #1 picks depending on what you're looking for (even Wallstedt if you're funky but not for me), but there is a case for every one of those players. I'd say it's my top 5 but #5 is a close call between Power and Lysell, and my front runners are Hughes for Ds and Eklund for Fs.

Lysell, Stankoven, L'Heureux, Duke are ranked usually a lot lower than I have them on most lists, hope the Habs can get lucky.

Also, watching the U18 this year, I absolutely loved Heimosalmi's game, he was the best defenseman of the tourney for me, just very smart and defensively sound and mobile, ala Petry on good days for the Habs. The highest I've seen him ranked is middle 2nd round so... hope the Habs have their eyes on him.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
2012 was the last time there were two goaltenders selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. With Jesper Wallstedt highly likely to be the first goalie off the board this year, Edmonton Oil Kings goalie Sebastian Cossa will try to make it two first-rounders again. A second-round pick, 36th overall, by the Oil Kings in the 2017 WHL Draft, Cossa has been impressive in his time in the WHL. This season he was limited to just 19 games due to the COVID shortened season. He had a 17-1-1 record with a .941 save percentage and 1.57 goals-against average. Cossa also had four shutouts. His performance was, quite simply, dominant.

In 2019-20, Cossa played 33 games. He put up a 21-6-3 record with a .921 save percentage and 2.23 goals-against average. He also added four shutouts. Unfortunately, the global pandemic prevented Cossa from getting any playoff experience. In 2018-19 he played in two games for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He had an .895 save percentage and a 3.03 goals-against average. He also played for Team Alberta at the 2017 WHL Cup, making it to the final before losing.

2021 NHL Draft #19: Sebastian Cossa Scouting Report

Russian defenceman Daniil Chayka came to Ontario in 2017, joining the Toronto Junior Canadiens in the GTHL and choosing that the CHL was the best route for his future. He was the 7th overall pick in the 2018 OHL Draft, taken by the Guelph Storm. Chayka put up five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 56 games as a rookie. The Storm won the OHL Championship and Chayka was a second-team All-Rookie. He also put up a goal and an assist at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, helping Russia to a gold medal.

Chayka came into his own in his second season in the OHL. He started the season helping Russia to a gold medal at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. Chayka scored 11 goals and 23 assists for 34 points in 56 games before the season was cut short by the COVID Pandemic.

With the OHL season cancelled this year, Chayka returned to Russia. He had one goal and two points in 11 KHL games with CSKA Moscow. Chayka also added an assist in 10 games with their VHL affiliate. He had more success playing in the junior league, with four points in five MHL games.

2021 NHL Draft #20: Daniil Chayka Scouting Report

Czech defender Stanislav Svozil has gotten more and more attention as time has passed these last couple of seasons. His game has seen marked improvements and he has risen up draft rankings as a result. Svozil spent the majority of the season with HC Kometo Brno in the Czech Extraliga. In limited ice time, he put up one goal and two assists for three points in thirty games. He added a goal and an assist for two points in a three-game stint on loan in the Czech second division. Spozil also played for the Czech Team at the World Juniors and the Under-18 World Championships.

This followed up on his 2019-20 rookie campaign which saw him win the Czech Extraliga’s Rookie of the Year award. In 41 games with Brno, he put up two goals and three assists for five points. He had six points in 10 games in the U-20 league. Spozil played for the Czech team at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He was an alternate captain and put up four assists in six games. Spozil helped lead the Czechs to the Bronze Medal.

2020 NHL Draft #21: Stanislav Svozil Scouting Report

Reactions: WinterLion

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Swedish forward Isak Rosen plays for Leksands and their affiliated teams. In 22 games in the SHL, he had just one assist. The 17-year-old struggled to find his feet playing against men. However, he was much better when playing against opponents his age. Rosen scored seven goals and five assists for 12 points in the J20 league. He also had two goals and four points in one game in the J18. Rosen really excelled at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, scoring seven goals and two assists for nine points in seven games. He was named a top-three player on the team and helped the Swedes to a bronze medal.

In 2019-20, Rosen put up 21 goals and 14 assists for 35 points in 38 games in the J20. It was the most points by any Under-17-year-old in the league. He also played for the Swedish National Team at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Rosen scored two points in five tournament games. He had three points in one regular-season game in the J18. Rosen also added four points in a playoff game before the pandemic shut down the season.

2021 NHL Draft #22: Isak Rosen Scouting Report - LWOS

Despite being drafted by the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors, defenceman Corson Ceulemans has opted to continue playing Junior A hockey with the Brooks Bandits in the AJHL in order to maintain his NCAA Eligibility. He is committed to playing for the Wisconsin Badgers next season. Ceulemans AJHL season was cut short by the COVID pandemic. He scored four goals and seven assists for 11 points in just eight games this season.

Cuelemans also represented Canada at the recent IIHF Under-18 World Championships. It was a real breakout performance for the young defenceman. He scored one goal and seven assists for eight points in six games. Cuelemans led the tournament in assists by a defenceman and helped Canada to an undefeated record and a gold medal.

In 2019-20 Ceulemans put up five goals and 30 assists for 35 points in 44 games. He also had four assists in four games with Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Ceulemans played for Team Canada West at the World Junior A Hockey Challenge. His father, Colin Ceulemans, played Division-III hockey for Concordia College in Minnesota.

2021 NHL Draft #23: Corson Ceulemans Scouting Report

With the 2020-21 OHL season never getting started, NHL Draft prospect Francesco Pinelli went to play his draft year in Slovenia. He joined HDD Jesenice and put up five goals and six assists for 11 points in 13 regular-season games. Pinelli also added a goal in two playoff games as Jesenice won the Slovenian League title. The Hamilton, Ontario native also joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Pinelli put up four goals and seven assists for 11 points in seven tournament games. He also helped Canada bring home the gold medal.

Pinelli was drafted in the first round, 13th overall, by the Kitchener Rangers in the 2019 OHL Draft. He put up 18 goals and 23 assists for 41 points in 53 games as a rookie. He also played for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring one goal in five games. In 2018-19 Pinelli scored three goals in four games, helping Team GTHL Blue to the OGC-16 Cup. He also scored seven goals and seven assists for 14 points in seven games at the OHL Cup with the Toronto Red Wings. Pinelli was named to the tournament all-star team.

2021 NHL Draft #24: Francesco Pinelli Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The argument for the prospect with the best pure shooting ability is tight, but Logan Stankoven should be in the mix. The Canadian sharp-shooter is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2021 NHL draft class, being ranked as early as 12th, and as late as 44th. The one constant in every scouting report, however, is the excellent shot that he possesses. What else does he bring to the table?

Deep Dive on 2021 Draft Prospect Logan Stankoven

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Need to win 5 more games to change our draft position. One round is not enough to move from 16. Only if you make the final four, does your draft position go to the last four picks of the first round.

Well then, by all means we should beat the Leafs

Long Sky

Jan 6, 2006
Just wondering which players in the draft might be able to play in the NHL next year? There can’t be that many.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
So goodbye Pick #16.

Not ture - We're still #16 unless we beat the Jets. We would have to make the conference final for us to fall back

"Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks"

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not ture - We're still #16 unless we beat the Jets. We would have to make the conference final for us to fall back

"Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks"

Ah yes. I forgot the first two rounds, you select in the same spot. It's if you make it to the conference final that you move back.

Thanks

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ah yes. I forgot the first two rounds, you select in the same spot. It's if you make it to the conference final that you move back.

Thanks

So win win.

Take out the Jets and we are in the conference finals, and pick later. Lose to the Jets and we keep our pick and have the satisfaction of having added another chapter to the The Leafs Book of Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad