2021 NHL Entry Draft - July 23-24th

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Koivula, Salo, Rajaniemi, Liukas, and Malinen all Finns in the past few years, and I like a majority of these picks. Helps when our director of scouting is a Finn after all, and most of our staff is still kept over from Snow's days
Yes, almost forgot, Kautonen is one of the Isles main scouts. Worked with the sharp Jarmo Kekalainen in St Louis before Columbus.

Reactions: xECK29x

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like the scouting staff only took one scouting trip this past winter...

I've felt that way many times before - Even when the was no Covid restricting travel. Felt like they rotated which scout would get the most picks each draft.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I've felt that way many times before - Even when the was no Covid restricting travel. Felt like they rotated which scout would get the most picks each draft.
I think they really didn't like the Canadians this time around either. Felt it was safer to go through Finland

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
From Pronmon, who I hate and find is wrong a lot (Kabanov got an A from him)

Totally agree. The problem with Pronman is that he does take the time to view prospects/watch tape more than most all non-scouts out there, but...He literally grades his rankings based on the overall raw talent as opposed to so many other factors that make up a good ockye player. So as xECK said...He'll have guys like Kabanov and Ho-Sang as A-level prospects, but won't have time for guys like Cizikas or Martin who bring so many other things to the table than elite scoring ability or athleticism.

Also, someone should ask is the Isles FInnish scout getting a bonus, Isles have been going Liiga heavy past couple of years.

Or if he has dirt on all the other Isles scouts in that he gets his way more often than not.

For those of you who like/love/hate this draft, just really curious how much of all these players you watched. I knew nothing after the top guys so just want to get a sense if we should be really happy with these guys or people are just recycling media reports on all the players.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
For those of you who like/love/hate this draft, just really curious how much of all these players you watched. I knew nothing after the top guys so just want to get a sense if we should be really happy with these guys or people are just recycling media reports on all the players.
Quite a few of these players did not play last season or played very few games. So probably nobody has seen any of these players just like most scouts didn’t see a lot of these players except on video.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Had low expectations for this Draft considering we weren’t drafting early or often. The fact that we came out of it with at least 2 prospects (Raty & Lennox) that will be exciting to keep tabs on over the next few years is a huge win IMHO.
Not like I won't want to try to keep an eye on Eetu either. If he can lay the body and become a guy like Joonas Donskoi, i'd love that

Reactions: Islander Class

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Yes, almost forgot, Kautonen is one of the Isles main scouts. Worked with the sharp Jarmo Kekalainen in St Louis before Columbus.

Vellu-Pekka Kautonen is the Islanders Amateur Head Scout. He's actually worked in this role for a few years even before Lou took over. Lou never replaced him. He's flying between Europe and North America.

Reactions: xECK29x

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Vellu-Pekka Kautonen is the Islanders Amateur Head Scout. He's actually worked in this role for a few years even before Lou took over. Lou never replaced him. He's flying between Europe and North America.
It is quite clear that he has a huge say in who the Islanders draft. That they were taking Europeans this year should not come as a surprise but I was expecting a Swede at least.

Clearly it's the Euro scouts who holds the upper hand among the Isles scouting staff at present and that is pretty obvious in both this and last year's draft. Under Snow the focus was almost solely on NA players, but this now seems to have shifted so it appear that taking North Americans was a decision made by Snow and co. Loou seems to give them more of a free hand. They also seem to focus on Euro players who've actually played in mens leagues, instead of just juniors, so it implies they are looking for maturity. Could well prove to be smart as they would need less seasoning if brought over.

One feature that also stands out to me is that the NA scouting seem rather "lazy" for lack of a better word. This year we grabbed a Sarnia player again despite him not having played at all, and for the last couple of years we have taken players from that club. It is quite clear that they spend time watching their draftees and then proceed to draft their teammates as well. Might get more info on them that way of course, but to me it looks a little lazy. Lennox' numbers were pretty bad so what they have seen in him must be very, very raw talent but I'm fairly sure they could have grabbed him later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I know Raty will spend next season in Europe.
When do you think Raty will be ahl ready?Is he better served spending the next 2 seasons in the European league?

And thanks for the player scouting reports.

Judging by what the Isles did with Holmstrom, it wouldn't even be a surprise if they bring him over now.

Personally, I definitely think he should spend this season playing in Liiga and be a key part of his nation's WJC squad.

One way or another, I see him in North America for the 22-23 season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Thanks, I also take Pronman with a grain of salt. He is often wrong, but will say this prospecting 18 year old hockey players is not the easiest thing in the world. I think this draft will depend on the success of Raty, and 4-5 years down the line how Lennox is progressing. Later picks are a crapshoot and honestly, unless you are a full time scout, I am not sure what to make of them. The only thing I didn't like today was we passed on Dylan Duke who reminded me of Cizikas. But will gladly be wrong if the Isles pick pans out.

Feels like this scouting staff has been staying away from the USNTDP since Lou "really" took over.

The 2018 draft was a real goodin' for us, but it was a month into Lou's time as the GM and he was busy trying to get Tavares back into the fold.

They haven't taken a USNTDP kid since.

In fact, the last three drafts have been decidingly different from the 2018 draft.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Oh, I remember those Waterloo days...

And sheesh, how many kids have they drafted out of Saginaw??? We've now plucked Jenkins, Coskey, and Lennox from that program - and Wilde played there too.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
One feature that also stands out to me is that the NA scouting seem rather "lazy" for lack of a better word. This year we grabbed a Sarnia player again despite him not having played at all, and for the last couple of years we have taken players from that club. It is quite clear that they spend time watching their draftees and then proceed to draft their teammates as well. Might get more info on them that way of course, but to me it looks a little lazy. Lennox' numbers were pretty bad so what they have seen in him must be very, very raw talent but I'm fairly sure they could have grabbed him later.

Liukas perhaps as well, considering he played with Iskhakov this season.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Lennox was the highest ranked goalie remaining according to Central Scouting Rankings. While that is not the be all and end all, he likely would have been off the board shortly thereafter because 4 goalies were drafted in Round 4 before me picked Berg.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

scott99

May 13, 2005
Feels like this scouting staff has been staying away from the USNTDP since Lou "really" took over.

The 2018 draft was a real goodin' for us, but it was a month into Lou's time as the GM and he was busy trying to get Tavares back into the fold.

They haven't taken a USNTDP kid since.

In fact, the last three drafts have been decidingly different from the 2018 draft.

It’s tough to gauge, 2 of those 3 drafts didn’t have a 1st round pick, 1 of them didn’t have a 1st or 2nd. The one year they did have a 1st, they blew it on their 1st round pick, killed it on their 2nd, and then didn’t have another pick until the 5th round (and killed it in the 5th). But overall drafting from 2018-21, has been pretty good, but inconsistent, which is not surprising since it is basically the same scouting staff since Snow’s regime.

Though I would guess during Snow’s regime, percentage wise, they took less Europeans. And they did WAY more trading up and down. Lamoriello seems to stay put and make the selection.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
One thing I notice about this draft class is that there are no smurfs, a positive thing in my book. Tells me the organization wants to stay on the "heavier" side of team construction.

Raty - nice size at 6'2 and 185 already. Not a bruiser, but physicality won't be an issue.

Lennox - 6'4 goalie.

Berg - 5'11 192, plays bigger and with an edge. Stocky kid.

Liukas - 6'2 198, big boy who plays big.

Malinen - 6' 176, on the smaller size and probably our least physical pick. Seeing a lot of reports of high skating, getting an image of Leddy gliding effortlessly up the ice so some smurfiness can be forgiven.

Machu - 6'4 189 and a RHD so I'm happy. Don't know much, but I love it for a 7th rounder.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One thing I notice about this draft class is that there are no smurfs, a positive thing in my book. Tells me the organization wants to stay on the "heavier" side of team construction.

Raty - nice size at 6'2 and 185 already. Not a bruiser, but physicality won't be an issue.

Lennox - 6'4 goalie.

Berg - 5'11 192, plays bigger and with an edge. Stocky kid.

Liukas - 6'2 198, big boy who plays big.

Malinen - 6' 176, on the smaller size and probably our least physical pick. Seeing a lot of reports of high skating, getting an image of Leddy gliding effortlessly up the ice so some smurfiness can be forgiven.

Machu - 6'4 189 and a RHD so I'm happy. Don't know much, but I love it for a 7th rounder.

On the broadcast they mentioned how going back a few years ago there was a shift towards smaller defensemen who can skate well. This year they mentioned that the trend seems to be going for big players again. Makes sense looking at the final four teams this year, they all have bigger guys on the backend.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->