2021 NHL Entry Draft - July 23-24th

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m still shocked we got Raty. He was ranked by everyone and no one had him lower than 25. He was as high as 16 overall in 1 final ranking.

That’s just such an awesome. Pick. It’s like getting a 1st rounder without a 1st round pick. Just a tremendous job by Lou and scouts.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I actually like these two drafts with what Lou has done. Still bringing the same mold to the isles but with players that can score and be defensively minded. Raty is a god damn steal at 52 and we traded Leddy to get him. If Raty becomes that player he was projected to be, and under the Trotz system, that's pretty good

B- overall. I disagree with taking a goalie in the 3rd round but goalie depth was needed after Tikkanen and Skarek

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’m still shocked we got Raty. He was ranked by everyone and no one had him lower than 25. He was as high as 16 overall in 1 final ranking.

That’s just such an awesome. Pick. It’s like getting a 1st rounder without a 1st round pick. Just a tremendous job by Lou and scouts.
Getting Raty is something that only happens because of this pandemic year

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Initial reaction is that it's unimportant what comes of the guys taken after the 2nd round, getting a surefire NHLer in Raty at 52 - one who could still live up to the billing of his pre-draft year - makes this a win for the Isles. I think we're going to really luck out with this guy.

Lennox is a wild card, but I just don't care for drafting goalies, much less that high in the draft. I do agree that he was likely gone later, but gosh darnit I had my eyes on a few other players at that spot, most particularly Stjernborg.

Berg will be a college project and I know some folks who feel he has a real shot, maybe even as a #2 center, in the NHL down the line. Let's see how he fares at Omaha-Nebraska.

I had known about Malinen and mobile Dmen are always quite nice to have around. No problems seeing him taken in Round 6 whatsoever, especially since many saw him as a Top 100 guy. I think we'll see a lot out of him next season and who knows, a U20 performance could be in the cards.

I don't really know anything about Liukas and Machu, the latter being on basically nobody's lists. Sure, size is nice. And Liukas has Liiga experience (albeit as an overager). We'll just have to give the scouts the benefit of the doubt for now.

Interestingly, Machu is the first player taken since Skarek who is not American, Canadian, Swedish or Finnish. Ironically, several Czech Dmen who were held in higher esteem were not drafted, namely Spacek and Tichanek.

Judging by whom the Isles took in the 7th round last fall, I'm suspecting that they see the 7th rounder as a throw-away pick that should be spent on a rather unknown quantity who is LARGE.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Ratty made this draft. To get a player of his talent late in the second round is a homerun. The rest of the draft is fine no big reaches although I was hoping they drafted Duke who they passed on twice. As I said before hopefully lightening doesn’t strike twice.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Initial reaction is that it's unimportant what comes of the guys taken after the 2nd round, getting a surefire NHLer in Raty at 52 - one who could still live up to the billing of his pre-draft year - makes this a win for the Isles. I think we're going to really luck out with this guy.

Lennox is a wild card, but I just don't care for drafting goalies, much less that high in the draft. I do agree that he was likely gone later, but gosh darnit I had my eyes on a few other players at that spot, most particularly Stjernborg.

Berg will be a college project and I know some folks who feel he has a real shot, maybe even as a #2 center, in the NHL down the line. Let's see how he fares at Omaha-Nebraska.

I had known about Malinen and mobile Dmen are always quite nice to have around. No problems seeing him taken in Round 6 whatsoever, especially since many saw him as a Top 100 guy. I think we'll see a lot out of him next season and who knows, a U20 performance could be in the cards.

I don't really know anything about Liukas and Machu, the latter being on basically nobody's lists. Sure, size is nice. And Liukas has Liiga experience (albeit as an overager). We'll just have to give the scouts the benefit of the doubt for now.

//QUOTE]

I appreciate the scouting reports.

One more yr in Europe,then Raty comes over to Bridgeport? Or is he a few seasons away from being ahl ready?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Interestingly, Machu is the first player taken since Skarek who is not American, Canadian, Swedish or Finnish. Ironically, several Czech Dmen who were held in higher esteem were not drafted, namely Spacek and Tichanek.

Judging by whom the Isles took in the 7th round last fall, I'm suspecting that they see the 7th rounder as a throw-away pick that should be spent on a rather unknown quantity who is LARGE.

I know Raty will spend next season in Europe.
When do you think Raty will be ahl ready?Is he better served spending the next 2 seasons in the European league?

And thanks for the player scouting reports.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Great day for us, especially with Raty scoring 4 goals tonight. Never doubting a successful @PWJunior toilet session ever again.
Raty is making a statement, to the people who didn’t select him last year’s WJC, to the people who decide this year’s WJC team, and to those who passed him up in the draft. So cool he could do it the same day he was drafted.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Raty is making a statement, to the people who didn’t select him last year’s WJC, to the people who decide this year’s WJC team, and to those who passed him up in the draft. So cool he could do it the same day he was drafted.
By the way he played alone he was getting greasy. I like that play from a center. If you wanna be a good player, hound the puck. Goring absolutely would adore the way he plays

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
From Pronmon, who I hate and find is wrong a lot (Kabanov got an A from him)

2021 Draft Grade: C

I’m a holdout Aatu Räty fan, even if I continued to come down on him as the season went along. I realize how bad his season was and why he fell to the second round, but I think he will be a good player. I think Eetu Liukas and Tristan Lennox both have chances to play, but how good Räty is will likely determine how good his Islanders class was.
Draft class

Aatu Räty, C (No. 52): Räty is one of the biggest mysteries I can recall of the last few years watching prospects. He was a go-to player for Finland coming up, as the No. 1 center for a solid U18 age group last season and making Finland’s U20 team a year before his draft, while also playing well versus men. He looked like a high-skill playmaking center with good athletic tools. Then this season came and the offense disappeared. Räty’s game looked so simple between the junior and Liiga levels and he was cut from the U20 team. Various scouts have varying theories. Some think he lacks speed. Some think he lacks hockey sense. I’ve seen enough over the years to still believe in the player, but it’s fair to say I approach him with a large degree of caution. He has skill in his game. He has quick-twitch hands and is great at handling the puck in small areas. He’s a fine, albeit awkward, skater who makes skilled plays on the move but needs to add more pace to his game. His playmaking and shot are both solid quality, but neither are spectacular. He has some physicality to his game and brings energy to shifts. That’s the Räty I think is there, and may show up in future years, but he didn’t this season. Räty projects as an NHL second-line center after being one of my top-ranked prospects coming into the draft season.
Tristan Lennox, G (No. 93):Lennox had no season other than Canada’s U20 camp. While his pure numbers may not excite on a quick search (3.63 goals-against average and .876 save percentage in 33 games in 2019-20), he has an NHL toolkit and has shown he can raise his game over the years. Lennox is a goalie with NHL size and sense. He tracks plays well, anticipating passes and generally being in the right position at a high level. He does lack true top-level quickness, and though he shows good flashes of being able to make the tough save, it’s questionable if he will be able to do that in the NHL. The skill set is still good enough to be a backup goalie, but he will need to cut down on the long-distance goals that go in on him. Lennox has a chance to make it due to his size and sense but he needs to prove he can stop enough pucks to be an NHL goalie.
Cameron Berg, C (No. 125): Cam Berg is a very smart offensive player who can make tough plays and has good puck skills. His best offensive asset is his great shot. His compete level also earns praise from some scouts. He’s not that big or quick which raises questions on his pro projection.
Eetu Liukas, LW (No. 157): Liukas played limited minutes on a top Liiga team this season. His high ranking is more a reflection of his tools and what I’ve seen of him versus juniors and his age group, where I thought he was good. Liukas is a big-body winger who can score goals. He has good hands to beat defenders one-on-one and make plays in tight. He competes hard off the puck and has some physicality, but like a lot of goal scorers, can drift to the perimeter looking to get his shot off. His game lacks pace and he doesn’t make a ton of plays. Liukas projects as a bottom-six NHL winger.
Aleksi Malinen, D (No. 189):Malinen’s toolkit intrigued due to his skating and skill. He has good straightaway speed to go with excellent edges and elusiveness. His skating allows him to gap up forwards well and kill rushes. He generates offense with his one-on-one play and ability to play in tight areas, but his decision-making/reads with the puck can be questionable.
Tomas Machu, D (No. 221): Machu split his season between the Czech pro and junior levels this season. In total, he had 9 points in 23 games.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
From Pronmon, who I hate and find is wrong a lot (Kabanov got an A from him)

2021 Draft Grade: C

I’m a holdout Aatu Räty fan, even if I continued to come down on him as the season went along. I realize how bad his season was and why he fell to the second round, but I think he will be a good player. I think Eetu Liukas and Tristan Lennox both have chances to play, but how good Räty is will likely determine how good his Islanders class was.
Draft class

Aatu Räty, C (No. 52): Räty is one of the biggest mysteries I can recall of the last few years watching prospects. He was a go-to player for Finland coming up, as the No. 1 center for a solid U18 age group last season and making Finland’s U20 team a year before his draft, while also playing well versus men. He looked like a high-skill playmaking center with good athletic tools. Then this season came and the offense disappeared. Räty’s game looked so simple between the junior and Liiga levels and he was cut from the U20 team. Various scouts have varying theories. Some think he lacks speed. Some think he lacks hockey sense. I’ve seen enough over the years to still believe in the player, but it’s fair to say I approach him with a large degree of caution. He has skill in his game. He has quick-twitch hands and is great at handling the puck in small areas. He’s a fine, albeit awkward, skater who makes skilled plays on the move but needs to add more pace to his game. His playmaking and shot are both solid quality, but neither are spectacular. He has some physicality to his game and brings energy to shifts. That’s the Räty I think is there, and may show up in future years, but he didn’t this season. Räty projects as an NHL second-line center after being one of my top-ranked prospects coming into the draft season.
Tristan Lennox, G (No. 93):Lennox had no season other than Canada’s U20 camp. While his pure numbers may not excite on a quick search (3.63 goals-against average and .876 save percentage in 33 games in 2019-20), he has an NHL toolkit and has shown he can raise his game over the years. Lennox is a goalie with NHL size and sense. He tracks plays well, anticipating passes and generally being in the right position at a high level. He does lack true top-level quickness, and though he shows good flashes of being able to make the tough save, it’s questionable if he will be able to do that in the NHL. The skill set is still good enough to be a backup goalie, but he will need to cut down on the long-distance goals that go in on him. Lennox has a chance to make it due to his size and sense but he needs to prove he can stop enough pucks to be an NHL goalie.
Cameron Berg, C (No. 125): Cam Berg is a very smart offensive player who can make tough plays and has good puck skills. His best offensive asset is his great shot. His compete level also earns praise from some scouts. He’s not that big or quick which raises questions on his pro projection.
Eetu Liukas, LW (No. 157): Liukas played limited minutes on a top Liiga team this season. His high ranking is more a reflection of his tools and what I’ve seen of him versus juniors and his age group, where I thought he was good. Liukas is a big-body winger who can score goals. He has good hands to beat defenders one-on-one and make plays in tight. He competes hard off the puck and has some physicality, but like a lot of goal scorers, can drift to the perimeter looking to get his shot off. His game lacks pace and he doesn’t make a ton of plays. Liukas projects as a bottom-six NHL winger.
Aleksi Malinen, D (No. 189):Malinen’s toolkit intrigued due to his skating and skill. He has good straightaway speed to go with excellent edges and elusiveness. His skating allows him to gap up forwards well and kill rushes. He generates offense with his one-on-one play and ability to play in tight areas, but his decision-making/reads with the puck can be questionable.
Tomas Machu, D (No. 221): Machu split his season between the Czech pro and junior levels this season. In total, he had 9 points in 23 games.
Thanks, I also take Pronman with a grain of salt. He is often wrong, but will say this prospecting 18 year old hockey players is not the easiest thing in the world. I think this draft will depend on the success of Raty, and 4-5 years down the line how Lennox is progressing. Later picks are a crapshoot and honestly, unless you are a full time scout, I am not sure what to make of them. The only thing I didn't like today was we passed on Dylan Duke who reminded me of Cizikas. But will gladly be wrong if the Isles pick pans out.

Reactions: xECK29x

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The real big question is why the Isles actually LANDED raty? I wanna hear actual interviews on why this kid was bad

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Also, someone should ask is the Isles FInnish scout getting a bonus, Isles have been going Liiga heavy past couple of years.
Koivula, Salo, Rajaniemi, Liukas, and Malinen all Finns in the past few years, and I like a majority of these picks. Helps when our director of scouting is a Finn after all, and most of our staff is still kept over from Snow's days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad