2021 NHL Entry Draft - July 23-24th

scott99

May 13, 2005
I couldn’t find the old thread, so I figured I’d start a new one. I believe we might have the 59th overall pick (Colorado’s 2nd round pick). So I’ve been doing some research on guys I’d like the Isles to pick at 59.

I’d like for them to select a forward with their first pick, though I would be fine with BPA. Some guys I’ve been looking at, and draft gurus, please chime in. Here’s some guys I’d like, in no particular order of preference, though I really like the 1st guy I have in my list. All of them are rated 50 and lower, I figure some guys my fall.

1) Brett Harrison, C Oshawa 6’2’ 185. I really like his game, he’s very talented, needs to add more grit for his size, but I like his overall play. Saw some highlights of him at the U18s. Should be a top 6 forward. Rated #50 by The Hockey News, and #37 by Hockey Prospects, but #64 by ISS.

2) Samuel Helenius C Finland 6’6” 201. Really intrigued by his size. Skates well for his size. Played at the WJC, and despite being put in a defensive role, he stilled score 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games. Also played against men in Finland’s top league, put in a defensive role, not odd for kids playing against men. Rated #57 by The Hockey News, and I think #78 by Hockey Prospects, #67 by ISS.

3) Benjamin Gaudreau G Sarnia 6’2 174. Had an excellent U18s despite not playing in almost a year. 5-0 2.20 and .919 sp. A very good, athletic goalie. He’s the #2 rated goalie in the draft, #61 by The Hockey News, and I wouldn’t mind selecting a goalie prospect, I’m not thinking Jakob Skarek is gonna work out.

I will do some more research and watch video of other players available and add more players to my list the next month heading into the draft.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I've seen several Finnish posters be pretty bullish on Helenius. I'm not super knowledgable on this year's draft but I hope we don't take anyone who isn't an above average skater.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not expecting much this year without a 1st, but how about trading picks or trading down and getting some extra draft capital for next year's 2022 class? If we could net a 2022 2nd, we would have 3 for next year in a stronger class. Gives Lou options.

Trade out of #59 into the 3rd round for a 2022 2nd.

The organization does need to restock the cupboards, but we're not totally screwed just yet. We could weather sitting out this draft, but we would have to make up for it starting next year. 2023 class also looks great so far too.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
A question for our resident draft gurus: When drafting 17/18 year old kids there is obviously going to be the potential for a lot of growth in their game, so what are the skills that tend to be the most difficult to develop?

Is there an identifiable skill, be-it hands, or speed, or edge ability or physicality or mental acuity/hockey sense, or heart/leadership that is tougher to teach and develop? Is that dependent upon the teaching strengths and weaknesses of the organization that drafts them?

If so, given our earliest selection is in round 2...I'd be inclined to target a player who shows a strength to their game in a skill that is tougher to develop and work on them in the areas of the game that are more teachable. Basically, target a guy in round two who shows promise in an area of the game that is more dependent upon natural ability, even if it means they have some nicks in the other aspects of their game, that caused them to not be selected earlier. Is that the way to go? Or are those guys only found in round 1, leaving the intangibles guys for rounds 2 and beyond?

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Some players that might be available at pick 59 that I think could be good values are Colton Dach, Roman Schmidt, Mathew Knies and maybe a Scott Morrow, Sean Behrens or Ville Koivunen (the last threee likely drafted 1st round or early 2nd round).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’ve watched more college this year than junior. But I will say that Red Savage is a perfect fit to be an islander. Trotz would love him. Kid already plays defense well and is all motor. Really good penalty killer. He’s relentless. I’ve seen him mocked form 2nd round to 5th round. He’s going to play college next year.

On defense I like RHS Ty Gallagher. He’s a good skater decent size and good offensive skills. I’ve seen him ranked from 2nd to 4th round.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’ve watched more college this year than junior. But I will say that Red Savage is a perfect fit to be an islander. Trotz would love him. Kid already plays defense well and is all motor. Really good penalty killer. He’s relentless. I’ve seen him mocked form 2nd round to 5th round. He’s going to play college next year.

On defense I like RHS Ty Gallagher. He’s a good skater decent size and good offensive skills.
some mock said that the isles should get him. Center also is a desperate need for this team, so i would be fine with said pick. Same for big Samuel Helenius, who played for a very mediocre JYP in Liiga

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Also i would be 100% fine looking into Koivunen, Helenius, Savage, or even Zellweger should he fall to 59th. One of my ideas is that the isles try to offload some older parts for a 1st, i.e an eberle or leddy to say calgary or LA. some new youth couldn't hurt even in a crapshoot draft.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
some mock said that the isles should get him. Center also is a desperate need for this team, so i would be fine with said pick. Same for big Samuel Helenius, who played for a very mediocre JYP in Liiga

I just love him and think for a guy expected to go in the the mid rounds he’s a solid choice. Kids got an unbelievable motor and from things I’ve read also works so hard. That’s the type of player you want.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I just love him and think for a guy expected to go in the the mid rounds he’s a solid choice. Kids got an unbelievable motor and from things I’ve read also works so hard. That’s the type of player you want.
Theres a bunch of good picks in the later rounds. The isles can definitely take advantage of that, but if they want to soften the wounds of the toews trade, take advantage of those two picks

Reactions: SI90

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
As a man that folllows the OHL i'd like to see the isles drafting more CHL players.

They seem to like u.s. college and European players. All good, but I'd like to see more CHL talent in the organization.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
As a man that folllows the OHL i'd like to see the isles drafting more CHL players.

They seem to like u.s. college and European players. All good, but I'd like to see more CHL talent in the organization.
Isles have drafted few euros lol. its really been US/OHL guys with a sprinkle of swedes and russians

scott99

May 13, 2005
Some players that might be available at pick 59 that I think could be good values are Colton Dach, Roman Schmidt, Mathew Knies and maybe a Scott Morrow, Sean Behrens or Ville Koivunen (the last threee likely drafted 1st round or early 2nd round).
Dach is one of the guys I have my eye on. Good size and skill. Obviously not as good as his brother, but should be a 2nd round pick. Since this draft is truly defenseman heavy, he may move up due to lack of high level forwards.

Reactions: xECK29x

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
My question is if lou does a move this draft or holds off until next season. I would love to see him try to move up this draft but considering where this team is and the core they have, i doubt it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My question is if lou does a move this draft or holds off until next season. I would love to see him try to move up this draft but considering where this team is and the core they have, i doubt it.

I’m a draft nut but the truth is we have the team to win it all now. I’d do whatever it takes right now to make this team have a serious shot next year. And try to get over the hump

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’m a draft nut but the truth is we have the team to win it all now. I’d do whatever it takes right now to make this team have a serious shot next year. And try to get over the hump
You're right but at some point the isles gotta make a move for injecting youth+skill.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You're right but at some point the isles gotta make a move for injecting youth+skill.

100%. The draft is always a crap shoot. Especially the further you pick. With no 1st we really have to hope our scouts can hit on some guys. We also have some pretty good young talent in the organization. Agreed though you shave to balance an do things with the both the present and future in mind.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
100%. The draft is always a crap shoot. Especially the further you pick. With no 1st we really have to hope our scouts can hit on some guys. We also have some pretty good young talent in the organization. Agreed though you shave to balance an do things with the both the present and future in mind.
To me i worry that the isles will trade next years for another run. If they fall off a cliff i'd be fine if they at least get youth in return. 2023 also is another "generational" draft, with michkov and bedard there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad