41SEAN BEHRENS
42SCOTT MORROW
43AYRTON MARTINO
44DYLAN DUKE
45WILLIAM STROMGREN
46JACK PEART
47OLEN ZELLWEGER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
robertsson or morrow. worked before, why not again?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think the point that may be going over people's heads is that there seem to be a large number of "reaches" this year. More than normal I would even say. That's pretty indicative of the weird season that just happened.

This probably got missed before in the flurry of posts, but my issue is with the methodology. We can all agree, that in general, scouts are very bad at projecting 17/18 year olds, at the best of times. Now they've decided, they'd like to take a crack at essentially projecting a 16/17 year old. That's basically what happened here. 7 games is too small a sample size to count for much of anything. I'm sure I could find 7 games where the Buffalo Sabres looked good this year.

Forget about the player, I'm mad that these guys have the hubris to think that they can make an incredibly difficult job even harder by adding a year of projection. I'm mostly annoyed that the Stars have this habit of thinking they are much smarter than they are during the draft. None of the cute reaches they make have ever panned out in their favor. Maybe this one does, but I wish the Stars weren't the team to take the risk in the first round.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Here are the next sixteen on the aggregate. We pick 15/16 tomorrow AM

32NIKITA CHIBRIKOV
33AATU RATY
34FRANCESCO PINELLI
35LOGAN STANKOVEN
36SIMON ROBERTSSON
37SASHA PASTUJOV
38SAMU TUOMAALA
39STANISLAV SVOZIL
40DANIIL CHAYKA
41SEAN BEHRENS
42SCOTT MORROW
43AYRTON MARTINO
44DYLAN DUKE
45WILLIAM STROMGREN
46JACK PEART
47OLEN ZELLWEGER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
we're probably gonna need the next 40 to have the name we'll take :sarcasm:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
"I had a few conversations with some of the hockey operations [staff] with Dallas," Johnston said shortly after the selection was made. "Talking to my agent, I knew Dallas was pretty high on me. I knew there was a chance. I started to get a little bit nervous as the pick was being called. It was an amazing experience once I heard my name called."

Stars select center Wyatt Johnston with 23rd pick in 2021 NHL Draft

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Ok, so if I've been following along, this would be the ultimate Riley Tufte pick, right?

Even worse, Tufte got into 27 USHL games his draft year and wasn't the late birthday guy.

Most kids in this draft are 2003 birth year, but as he is a late birthday Morrow is a 2002 birth year.. I fail to understand how he is still playing USHS this season.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
But why is he not playing USHL games if he is good?
Can't answer that, just like can't tell you why scouts thought a 6'7 player who dominated against high school competition, but struggled everywhere else, was first round material either.
My guess, is he wanted to stay with friends, but idk

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Season ticket holder for the Windsor Spitfires here.

Now, I realize that taking a guy like Wyatt in the first round isn't exactly a sexy pick. Considering that he only played at the U-18's this past season, it's also somewhat risky.

But I thought I'd chime in with what I saw during his rookie year. He got off to a rocky start, to be sure. I think he came into training camp at about 155 lbs. On a Windsor team that was ranked 3rd in the CHL at times early in the season, he was utilized as a bottom six center. At the trade deadline in January, Windsor stood pat while other teams loaded up for a playoff run. This is when Wyatt's role started to increase, and he would get top six minutes with some regularity. I can't remember the exact numbers, but he was virtually a PPG player the rest of the way on a Spitfire team that was fading fast.

I think he was going to have an eye opening season if the OHL had returned to play this past year. During the second half of his rookie year, he was showcasing his talents much more frequently. His vision was becoming a real strength, and creativity was common. As has been mentioned, his defensive game stayed consistently great.

Honestly, I believe there's some serious untapped potential here. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he carved out a role as a second line center in the NHL. If you found this helpful, I'll try to pop in periodically to update you guys on his progress this coming season.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Here are the next sixteen on the aggregate. We pick 15/16 tomorrow AM

32NIKITA CHIBRIKOV
33AATU RATY
34FRANCESCO PINELLI
35LOGAN STANKOVEN
36SIMON ROBERTSSON
37SASHA PASTUJOV
38SAMU TUOMAALA
39STANISLAV SVOZIL
40DANIIL CHAYKA
41SEAN BEHRENS
42SCOTT MORROW
43AYRTON MARTINO
44DYLAN DUKE
45WILLIAM STROMGREN
46JACK PEART
47OLEN ZELLWEGER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
my dream is still alive

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
This probably got missed before in the flurry of posts, but my issue is with the methodology. We can all agree, that in general, scouts are very bad at projecting 17/18 year olds, at the best of times. Now they've decided, they'd like to take a crack at essentially projecting a 16/17 year old. That's basically what happened here. 7 games is too small a sample size to count for much of anything. I'm sure I could find 7 games where the Buffalo Sabres looked good this year.

Forget about the player, I'm mad that these guys have the hubris to think that they can make an incredibly difficult job even harder by adding a year of projection. I'm mostly annoyed that the Stars have this habit of thinking they are much smarter than they are during the draft. None of the cute reaches they make have ever panned out in their favor. Maybe this one does, but I wish the Stars weren't the team to take the risk in the first round.
they have hubris, but you don't? they have access to an almost unquantifiable greater amount of data that you never saw or will likely ever see. the opportunity to talk to coaches and players familiar with the player is the smallest example. the insight to know what he was capable of vs what role he was asked to fill. how well he adapted to various systems. opposing coach's perspectives. the list goes on. you really think they only watched the broadcast feed of those 7 games and decided to draft him? a whole staff working as their full time job to evaluate and compare talent. idk what you do for a living, but if you have any clue of the power of networking alone, you might consider just how much more the scouts/org can find out about a player that a fan never could.
does it mean they made the right choice? only time will tell. but good lord to accuse them of hubris when all we get as fans is a handful of youtube highlights and the twitter feeds of reporters... well, i can't exactly call that evaluation sane.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
they have hubris, but you don't? they have access to an almost unquantifiable greater amount of data that you never saw or will likely ever see. the opportunity to talk to coaches and players familiar with the player is the smallest example. the insight to know what he was capable of vs what role he was asked to fill. how well he adapted to various systems. opposing coach's perspectives. the list goes on. you really think they only watched the broadcast feed of those 7 games and decided to draft him? a whole staff working as their full time job to evaluate and compare talent. idk what you do for a living, but if you have any clue of the power of networking alone, you might consider just how much more the scouts/org can find out about a player that a fan never could.
does it mean they made the right choice? only time will tell. but good lord to accuse them of hubris when all we get as fans is a handful of youtube highlights and the twitter feeds of reporters... well, i can't exactly call that evaluation sane.
All this data they have at their disposal and the first round success rate is worst than a random fan with a tsn pre-draft list.
Maybe they're just prioritizing the wrong data.

It's hard to pick as high as the stars do on avg in the first round and get so little impact talent.
You can forgive 2016 and 2020 because it was the bottom of 1st round, and they took players about where they were ranked, even if the hs pick was colossally stupid.

But whatever data led to Honka, Gurianov, Dellandrea and likely Johnston needs to be thrown out, because it's f***ing garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->