2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A shrewd GM of a non-playoff team will be trying to move players for more picks. A good draft to stock up on extra picks....there's bound to be very good prospects slip simply because they've not gotten the exposure.

Of course that assumes your team has a 'shrewd GM'.....which pretty well ensures no extra picks for the Canucks.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A shrewd GM of a non-playoff team will be trying to move players for more picks. A good draft to stock up on extra picks....there's bound to be very good prospects slip simply because they've not gotten the exposure.

Of course that assumes your team has a 'shrewd GM'.....which pretty well ensures no extra picks for the Canucks.
Hurts the Canucks this year because of the quarantine rules and how long guys have to sit after a trade. So, to even move guys out will US teams be willing to wait for a player from Canada to clear quarantine? Thus moves have to made early. There is like 13 games left for the Canucks afte the tdl. If other teams are like that then waiting 10-14 days eats up another 5/6 games so you get the player for 6/7 games before the season ends.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
If only Wright, Lambert, and Savoie were in this draft and not next.

Might be worth it to tank next year as well and start going for it in the 2022/2023 season. With a new GM and the deadweight on the team mostly gone.

Hughes/Clarke/Power + 2022 can’t miss prospect over 1.5 years.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Who are the top 5 Boom/Bust prospects this draft?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who are the top 5 Boom/Bust prospects this draft?
Only focused on the Dmen in the draft. I don't think any of the top ones would Bust (ie. really doing nothing in the NHL vs being a disappointment).

Don't foresee a Griffin Reinhart bust amongst the top Dmen in the draft. Or even a Pouliot one either. Murray, a lot of injuries befell him.

Power/Evindsson - physical tools and skating. Question for big guys is their Hockey IQ. Are they using it or relying on their physical gifts?

Clarke - best offensively. How much work does he need in his own zone and does the offence that he brings compensate for any deficiences

Lambos - best overall 2 way prospect, and likely the safest. Highest Floor, but maybe not the highest ceiling.

Hughes - Safe bet to make the NHL. He won't be Quinn. That's not what you should expect. Not as dynamic.

Reactions: geebaan

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Our GM has a shrew's brain, if that helps.

Reactions: Ita and Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Our GM has a shrew's brain, if that helps.
That and the quaratine rules will make it tougher to get picks. Thus for any chance of moving the UFAs they have to be way way out of the race at the end of March. Canucks have 18 games left from April to the end of the season. April 12 is the TDL leaving them with 13 games left.

But, with upwards of a 2 weeks for quaratine, their players needs to be moved in early April to be able to play 15 games or more for their new US team.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
it's absolutely Sod's Law that the Canucks are gonna end up with a top 4 pick in a COVID draft season with a weak draft class

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have a fear that this groundswell towards moving the draft lottery and draft date backwards, and doing a joint 2021-22 draft might gain some traction with the NHL owners.

Now 'that' would be typical Canuck draft lottery luck......they tank in this Canadian Division in an ugly way, and then there's no draft lottery at all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Of the top guys, who is the meanest skilled D man in this draft?
None of the top guys are considered mean. None are physical if you are looking for seabrook or Weber physical.
These are all skilled guys who can skate well. power and evindsson have size but aren’t the types to knock opponents on their rear ends.

Reactions: Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have a fear that this groundswell towards moving the draft lottery and draft date backwards, and doing a joint 2021-22 draft might gain some traction with the NHL owners.

Now 'that' would be typical Canuck draft lottery luck......they tank in this Canadian Division in an ugly way, and then there's no draft lottery at all.
What owners want is one thing but the draft is a cba issue that needs to be bargained. What will the owners give the PA to push the draft back?

if one of the issues is the drop from 7 years to 6 years of service to become ufa I don’t see the owners giving that up for a draft. That’s a chip to be used to get a lower buyout rate or shorter max term contracts.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Clarke is my favourite D prospect in this draft. Questions about his defensive skill are a concern though. Eklund is another interesting name as he's outproducing top 5-10 picks in Raymond/Holtz in his draft year but all are 02 born.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Who is looking like the top 3 forwards in the draft and where do they project to be taken?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Clarke is my favourite D prospect in this draft. Questions about his defensive skill are a concern though. Eklund is another interesting name as he's outproducing top 5-10 picks in Raymond/Holtz in his draft year but all are 02 born.
I would be shocked if the Nucks draft a forward.

With how many good dmen there are in the draft and the organizational need for dmen, it seems pretty obvious.

There just is not enough distinguishing any forward from the pack of dmen available to think otherwise.

I do like Eklund though. E5 for me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is Powers still the favourite to go first overall, or has Hughes overtaken him? I haven’t followed this draft that closely.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Can somebody explain how pushing the draft back would work, would it just be a draft at a later date but going off the final standings in this season? Or is there some other things in play

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can somebody explain how pushing the draft back would work, would it just be a draft at a later date but going off the final standings in this season? Or is there some other things in play
It would use this years standing and lottery for the draft order. And the draft would be held at a later date.
But any change to the date of the draft is a cba issue. And there are things to iron out. If they can’t come to an amendment with the PA then the nhl will have no choice but to proceed with the draft as scheduled for 2021.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is Powers still the favourite to go first overall, or has Hughes overtaken him? I haven’t followed this draft that closely.
Luke is not as dynamic as Quinn. That may prevent him from over taking Power who is physically larger and still a very good skater. Luke may be 6’2 but his frame doesn’t project to be a 200 lb Dman while power is already 214 lbs and should fill out to 225 lbs.
With guys who are physically so advanced the question I have is whether he’s using his hockey IQ well or relying on his physical gifts. Evindsson is of a similar height but not as heavy but he’s more raw than Power right now.

clarke won’t IMO be a stalwart on D but it’s whether his offense makes up for it and how much work and commitment he puts into getting better.

Lambos is the safest pick imo in terms of his Defense.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really excited about the depth of the D in this draft.

Power - this guy is absolutely huge. Skates well and can move the puck.
Hughes - great speed and mobility. A lot bigger than his brothers (height wise). Seems like more of a shooter than Quinn.
Clarke - RHD with serious skill. Great hands among his best assets. Leaves a lot of guys behind one on one. Had a great rookie year in the OHL. Looks like he's had a strong year in Slovakia against men.
Edvinsson - Another big D-man. Doesn't look as smooth as Power but has some decent offensive skill.
Ceulemans - could be a wildcard. Hardly played any games this year.

Just starting to look in more detail at these players (I know, a little late to the party).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really excited about the depth of the D in this draft.

Power - this guy is absolutely huge. Skates well and can move the puck.
Hughes - great speed and mobility. A lot bigger than his brothers (height wise). Seems like more of a shooter than Quinn.
Clarke - RHD with serious skill. Great hands among his best assets. Leaves a lot of guys behind one on one. Had a great rookie year in the OHL. Looks like he's had a strong year in Slovakia against men.
Edvinsson - Another big D-man. Doesn't look as smooth as Power but has some decent offensive skill.
Ceulemans - could be a wildcard. Hardly played any games this year.

Just starting to look in more detail at these players (I know, a little late to the party).
Yep, for once the Canucks 'positional need' might just line up with the top young players in this draft--who're all blueliners.

Of course that assumes that 'the tank' continues and the Canucks are serious contenders in the draft lottery. Because a legit top-four blueliner is something this team desperately needs.

But of course wasn't that the same rationale they used when the drafted Juolevi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->