2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I'm not really sure what to think about this. Every team will be at the same disadvantage, time for your scouts to show their worth. It could be very beneficial for a team picking in the mid to late part of the first round as a gem that's been underscouted might slide.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I'm not really sure what to think about this. Every team will be at the same disadvantage, time for your scouts to show their worth. It could be very beneficial for a team picking in the mid to late part of the first round as a gem that's been underscouted might slide.

Push the 2021 draft to 2022 and there’s one more year of maturing for the draft eligible guys. Far less likely to make a mistake in the top 5 picks, which is where Detroit will pick. Better for us too, as we will be top five.

Reactions: Bubbles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Push the 2021 draft to 2022 and there’s one more year of maturing for the draft eligible guys. Far less likely to make a mistake in the top 5 picks, which is where Detroit will pick. Better for us too, as we will be top five.
A couple of issues that the PA brought up about pushing the draft back.
1) do chl guys go back into the 2023 draft if they go unsigned? They should as that is the 2nd draft if they don’t sign.
2) only impacting the top end guys but for Laf and stutzle who are playing in the nhl now they can become ufa after 7 seasons. PA has hinted about dropping that to 6 years for the 2021 class if the draft is moved back. This the nhl would push back on and if this isn’t agreed upon then they likely have the draft in June.

Reactions: Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you have a top 5 pick and Hughes is available, you take Hughes (unless he clearly regresses). The optics on it would not be good, you need to thing long-term with keeping Quinn happy and Jack wanting to eventually come over via FA.
Barring a massive shift in nhlers habits most top end guys remain with their teams barring their team being absolute disaster. If NJ turns it around after Hughes is done his elc then he has less incentive to leave. Staal brothers would have been fine playing on different teams their entire careers.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
For years there's been talk about the NHL wanting to raise the draft eligibility to 19 years old anyways. This is their biggest chance to implement it.

Reactions: Bubbles

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The weekend was a shift for me. I believe they have fallen into a hole that will be very, very difficult to crawl out of. A top 10 pick is now very realistic.

I will now waste way too much time in the next several months looking up prospects. If my historical pattern prevails, I will look at a dozen possible top 10 prospects in some detail but none enough to make an educated decision. I will bounce between three or four preferred picks being way too easily swayed by online arguments and in the end only satisfy myself and nobody else that I know what I'm talking about...

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Fabian Lysell could be this year’s Pastrnak/Boeser. Really like him as well as Eklund.

Although, it’s hard to see them not draft one of the top defenceman.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
vancouver has the worst CHL scouting in the league hands down.
Ron Delorme is the problem.
Just look at the CHL picks for the past 7 years and tell me what you see.

2016 should have been the hammer that got Delrome tossed.

You have a league with the likes of Sergachev, Tkachuk, Chychrun available and you push for Juolevi? (I was cautiously optimistic, but want Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean, Juolevi in that order)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
this kinda of logic is a great way to dodge the best player.

you take the best player.
I mean Luke is projected to go top 5 at worst. He's in the conversation for #1 overall. mynhldraft.com has him at #2 and that site generally takes all scouting services rankings and averages them out. So in this scenario not really, but lets say Lonzo Ball was a hockey player and you were thinking this about Liangelo Ball so you can keep Lonzo happy and get Lamelo down the road, ya no it would be horrible logic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The top D in the draft are different in their styles so each team at the top of the draft will value different traits.

Power has all the physical tools. As with anyone that is 6’5 and 214 lbs is he playing the game with good hockey IQ or relying on his physical dominance over his peers?
Evindsson similar toolset to Power but more raw. Shot needs work.
Clarke is the best offensive Dman. 6’1 and 180 lbs now. CHL kid.
Lambos is the best in his own zone right now. NHL build at 6’1 and 200 lbs already. How good is his offensive game going to be in the NHL. He’d be like the Lindholm of the 2012 draft, best defensively of the group of Reilly, Trouba, Dumba.
Hughes, how many GMs will think he will turn out like Quinn?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
BTW, what was in the water the first 9 months ofLuke Hughes' cellular life...

per Elite prospects:

Quinn Hughes 5'10" 170 lbs (age 21)
Jack Hughes 5'11" 176 lbs (age 19)
Luke Hughes 6'2" 176 lbs (age 17)

Reactions: ChilliBilly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Same goes for Malcolm Subban right? PK is 6 feet, Malcolm is like 6’2 and Jordan is 5’9

not unusual for brothers to be 3 inches taller. Not all brothers are around the same height like 6’3 to 6’4 like the Staal brothers.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

I'd be arguing for that if I were Stevie Y too.

The later in the draft you pick, the earlier you want the draft. The earlier in the draft you pick, the later you want it.

I think we're picking in the 5-10 range this year so I'm good with them moving it back a year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

The later in the draft you pick, the earlier you want the draft. The earlier in the draft you pick, the later you want it.

I think we're picking in the 5-10 range this year so I'm good with them moving it back a year.
None of the GM’s trust their scouts. Cant even just trust data as samples are extremely small and currently non existent for Canadians.

If the Canadian junior leagues gan get 20-30 games in that should be plenty.

Teams value world juniors and top prospects games which are small samples, 20+ should be enough for professional hockey scouts.

I’d be interested to see how it would play out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It's a CBA negotiation so the NHL just can't decide to push it back.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
For years there's been talk about the NHL wanting to raise the draft eligibility to 19 years old anyways. This is their biggest chance to implement it.

I'd love to see this and supported this on the main boards (there was a big thread on this a year or two ago). To me it just makes sense from a business perspective, as drafting becomes less of a crapshoot.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This assumes that the pandemic has passed and society has normalized which is a bit of stretch at the moment. Instead they could end up with 2 or more curtailed years of scouting instead of just one.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Corson Ceulemans looks like a stud. All-around top pairing potential and would fill a massive organizational need of a RHD.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Corson Ceulemans looks like a stud. All-around top pairing potential and would fill a massive organizational need of a RHD.
He is currently ranked outside the top 10. Mocks have him anywhere from around 11 to 19. If the Canucks end up with pick 8/9 and all 5 of the top rated Dmen are off the board he would be the next Dman to come off the board. Unlike the 2 CHL Dmen who went to Europe Ceulmans didn’t do that so his only game action has been a couple of games in the AJHL.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

Scott Morrow would also be an interesting pick in the mid to late 1st. He's a RHD puck mover with good size/skating, and will be going to the U of North Dakota next season (a solid program as we all know). If we somehow make the playoffs, both (Morrow and Ceulemans) could be solid picks for us if nobody from the top tier falls (but I suspect some might if they hold the draft this year).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Moving the draft, then Michigan would become one of the more scouted teams in recent memory.

They'd add two more first round picks which includes Luke Hughes

Owen Power and Luke Hughes on the left side.
They have already been one of the more scouted teams, if they move the draft the entire stadium should be scouts.

Reactions: lawrence

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Moving the draft, then Michigan would become one of the more scouted teams in recent memory.

They'd add two more first round picks which includes Luke Hughes

Owen Power and Luke Hughes on the left side.
They have already been one of the more scouted teams, if they move the draft the entire stadium should be scouts.
Owen Power has a great name. SHould be an actor.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Suck it up Stevie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->