2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
TSN reporting Teams complained during the last lottery that the NHL is switching the weighting for the lottery.

making the bottom teams have quite a bit higher percentages. GM’s weren’t happy with Detroit dropping to 4. (Where was the uproar for Vancouver dropping every single year)

still think more should be done like you can’t get a top 3 spot 2 years in a row.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
now please stop with this. Bracket was here 5 years before Benning got here and he didn't do shit for us. Podkolzin was not him, that would be a Russian based scout, Eliass Pettersson was not him, and the same with Hoglander.

vancouver has the worst CHL scouting in the league hands down.
Ron Delorme is the problem.
Just look at the CHL picks for the past 7 years and tell me what you see.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
TSN reporting Teams complained during the last lottery that the NHL is switching the weighting for the lottery.

making the bottom teams have quite a bit higher percentages. GM’s weren’t happy with Detroit dropping to 4. (Where was the uproar for Vancouver dropping every single year)

still think more should be done like you can’t get a top 3 spot 2 years in a row.

No kidding...f*** this league some times.

Why would any other team give a shit about Detroit's circumstances?

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No kidding...f*** this league some times.

Why would any other team give a shit about Detroit's circumstances?

That's what I dont get. Maybe the Yzerman effect, and his opinion carries more weight?

up to 2019 Vancouver dropped collectively more than any other team in the league since the lottery was implemented.
I think they were -8 combined.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

they can make it your average finish for the past 2 seasons or something.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like Beniers is making a solid case for #1.

Hughes and Power would be my 2 and 3 respectively. Could not go wrong with any of them.

Hughes would be a f***ing dream. All but keeps Quinn here forever and gives us a great chance of luring Jack here once he's a UFA.
Lose for Hughes.
The Hughes brothers could be our Stastny trio.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I support lose for Hughes

How good is he though? Is it a family name thing or is he legit
Yep...that's the rub. Normally a player like Hughes would he halfway through his season by now, and you'd have a pretty good book on where he's at. Incremental improvement in your draft year is so vital to assessing 18-year hockey players.

But scouts will be flying blind this season.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
vancouver has the worst CHL scouting in the league hands down.
Ron Delorme is the problem.
Just look at the CHL picks for the past 7 years and tell me what you see.

We couldn't make a decent pick in our own backyard for the longest time. Still can't

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
We couldn't make a decent pick in our own backyard for the longest time. Still can't

It's wild how bad our CHL scouting is.

what's even crazier is Vancouver drafted the sedins in 1998 or 1999. and they didn't choose a player out of Europe in the first round for 17 years. 17 years of choosing players in North America.

Drafting sedins
--
17 year GAP
--
Pettersson

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Brandt Clarke looks to have sky high potential. Very similar to QH and Makar. Would be a perfect add to our young core.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hughes - Clarke

Demko

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
We won't pick high enough to draft Clarke unless if we win the lottery. He's going top 3 for sure at this point being the only RHD.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Where do people here project Luke Hughes to go? If we just so happened to be in a good position to draft him that would be something.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the 3rd worst points percentage in the NHL so far after the OTL to Winnipeg, it's looking like a top pick for the Canucks this season.

The West and the East divisions, it's insane how few games they have played compared to the Canucks. Once those teams begin to catch up, that would drop the Canucks down the standings, though they likely don't get the same PPG pace since they would be playing a compressed schedule to get those games in.

It is a D heavy draft at the top.

Pretty hard to determine how these Dmen compare to the top D drafted in the past 2 seasons.

Byram, Seider, Broberg, Soderstrom, York went in the Lottery group in 2019.
Sanderson, Drysdale went in the Lottery group in 2020.

Seems like Power, Hughes, Lambos, Evidsson, and Clarke for sure go in the Lottery group. Possibly Ceulmans a RHD from the AJHL might make the lottery group. But, seems like the first 5 should go in lottery group.

Power - physically is the total package. Size, good skater, has offensive instincts, more of a passer than a rusher for offence. Not Weber physical, maybe more like Edler physical.
Clarke - probably the best offensive skills of any Dman in the draft.
Evindsson - 6'5 Dman who is a good skater. Not as polished offensively and needs work on his shot. More raw. So needs development time.
Lambos - NHL frame at 6'1 and 200 lbs. Good defensively. Needs a little work on his offensive game.
Hughes - taller than Quinn at over 6 feet. Not as offensive, but better defensively at the same age.

None of the forwards at the top of this draft would challenge the top 3 of the 2020 draft.

Kent Johnson likely the only forward I would consider taking over a Dman in the top 6/7 of the draft.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I hope if we draft a defensemen we aren’t drafting one with compete issues or a lack of defensive abilities. I get that offensive and puck moving is all the rage now days but your defensemen need to know how to play defense also.

Second thought am I the only one that would trade for a few more picks cause with scouting all over the board you could get luckier with players you like dropping

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hope if we draft a defensemen we aren’t drafting one with compete issues or a lack of defensive abilities. I get that offensive and puck moving is all the rage now days but your defensemen need to know how to play defense also.

Second thought am I the only one that would trade for a few more picks cause with scouting all over the board you could get luckier with players you like dropping
That probably makes the Canuck's performance over the next 16-20 games vital to CLEARLY dictate their playoff chances. If they only get 18 points in their next 16 games til the end of March, then they likely are going to be 8 points or so out of the playoffs assuming that the other teams catch up their games in hand on the Canucks.

Getting picks for Pearson, Edler, Sutter, Benn, Hamonic will be important for not just the draft, but extra ammo to do a NYR/DET deal where they dealt a 2nd round pick to move off Staal. That could be the ammo needed to offload Eriksson. Or get an extra 3rd to offload Beagle/Roussel as a cheaper option. Or retain on these guys to move them out.

And likely move off Virtanen as of right now, I'd rather protect Lind in the ED over the $2.55 mill of Virtanen.

As for the Dmen, the one that likely has the weakest Defensive skills is Clarke who is the only RHD in the top of the class.

Lambos likley the most ready defensively to play in the NHL. Safest pick in that regards.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Power could potentially be a good long-term replacement for Edler. All-purpose defenceman that could roll on a top pair. Clarke could be the right side young D we desperately need in the system. Hughes has obvious appeal and seems a legit prospect, though I think we really do need more physicality on our back end. Regardless, if we get a top 5 pick and choose one of those 3, I still think we need to acquire via trade a preferably right hand young D that can step in now. Miller is probably the only carrot we have to get a deal like that done. If Edler doesn't return or retires soon, I am more confident that we can replace that on the left side, either via Schmidt or an improving Juolevi/Rathbone (fingers crossed). But the right side... massive holes. Myers likely isn't going anywhere, but we need a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade on Jordie Benn, plus one other solid right side D if Schmidt fills the left. Where/what we take in this draft might really determine how we need to proceed on rebuilding the Defence.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Power could potentially be a good long-term replacement for Edler. All-purpose defenceman that could roll on a top pair. Clarke could be the right side young D we desperately need in the system. Hughes has obvious appeal and seems a legit prospect, though I think we really do need more physicality on our back end. Regardless, if we get a top 5 pick and choose one of those 3, I still think we need to acquire via trade a preferably right hand young D that can step in now. Miller is probably the only carrot we have to get a deal like that done. If Edler doesn't return or retires soon, I am more confident that we can replace that on the left side, either via Schmidt or an improving Juolevi/Rathbone (fingers crossed). But the right side... massive holes. Myers likely isn't going anywhere, but we need a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade on Jordie Benn, plus one other solid right side D if Schmidt fills the left. Where/what we take in this draft might really determine how we need to proceed on rebuilding the Defence.

If you have a top 5 pick and Hughes is available, you take Hughes (unless he clearly regresses). The optics on it would not be good, you need to thing long-term with keeping Quinn happy and Jack wanting to eventually come over via FA.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If you have a top 5 pick and Hughes is available, you take Hughes (unless he clearly regresses). The optics on it would not be good, you need to thing long-term with keeping Quinn happy and Jack wanting to eventually come over via FA.

It's a fair point. What do we do if we win first overall then? This is partially rhetorical because we all know it is not cosmically possible for the Canucks to pick #1. But hypothetically, do you trade down to take Hughes and pick up whatever extra asset you can get?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's a fair point. What do we do if we win first overall then? This is partially rhetorical because we all know it is not cosmically possible for the Canucks to pick #1. But hypothetically, do you trade down to take Hughes and pick up whatever extra asset you can get?

You make a deal for the #2 pick contingent on the other team picking a different player, get an additional 2nd and take Hughes at 2.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If we have a top 5 pick you take the best guy available and not the guy who's brother plays for the team, UNLESS, they happen to be the same player.

That's my scouting strategy anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad