2021 NHL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Bojack Horvatman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Raistlin1022 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's times like these that I'm reminded we lost a NCAA guru in a power struggle with a GM that's about to be canned.

MarkMM and vanuck like this.
  2. Nuckler Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Would this be the year to trade a top 10 pick in a package for a good young RHD man in the 21-24 range? Based on the quality of players that might be available

3. Luckylarry Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Retired
    Would have to be one hell of a good (and young) right shot d to move our coming first. That first is going to almost certainly be top five, and this draft has some excellent d in that top group - including Quinn’s brother Luke.

4. bossram Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm a fan of Kent Johnson. Really crafty playmaker. He, Beniers, Hughes, and Clarke are the guys at the top of the draft I'm most interested in.

lawrence likes this.
  5. y2kcanucks Le Sex God

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Management
    Home Page:
    Jeez. You know, it may not be such a bad idea to move the draft to 2022. Host 2 drafts next year and give scouts the chance to better evaluate these players.

sting101 likes this.
  6. Breakers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    One guy who is going to be interesting to see how he is judged in scouting circles around the league is Corson Ceulemans
    D-man out of the AJHL
    He restarts here in about 2 weeks, as that's when the league opens back up for Alberta.
    Wisconsin hockey has been hyping him as he is attending there next year.
    College Hockey Inc, and SBN college hockey think this guy is going to shoot up draft boards into the top 10 similar to Makar, they really think he is underrated.
    I mean Makar had a "B" rating from the NHL central scouting pre-season which is the largest scouting service, and finished as the highest rated D-man in North America.

NHL central scouting still underrates AJHL.

lindgren likes this.
  7. VanJack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's a logical idea, but won't happen. It would mean too many players coming out of their ELC's a few years down the road. I actually find the thought of the 2021 draft kind of exciting.

What it'll mean is that the NHL teams that cheapened out on their scouting staffs and scouting resources, will be a serious disadvantage. The teams that focused resources on scouting both in N.A. and Europe, will be have a major leg up. I have no idea where the Canucks stand on this continuum.

But there's bound to be a number of great young players who drop in this draft only through a lack of exposure. And some team that's done their homework will scoop them up. I could see a few of the better-run NHL teams mining as many as four or five great prospects out of this draft if they've got the right book on them.

lindgren likes this.
  8. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Elite prospects has Ceulmanns listed as committed to Wisconsin for the 22-23 season. Similar to Rathbone who didn’t go to the ncaa after he was drafted.

9. Breakers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It depends on the NCAA requirements and if he completed it.
    Elite prospects usually pushes dates until they get confirmation

He is listed on Wisconson's official 2021 class
    Nine new Badgers - 2021 men's hockey signing class revealed | Wisconsin Badgers

10. JanBulisPiggyBack Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    how would 2 drafts work?

like one draft on a certain date and a second one 6 months later or would something completely bizarre like two first rounds with different orders based on how teams finished each year, that would make for a lot of interesting trading but would be too strange

11. sting101 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Agree this is the best scenario.

It's not the kind of draft with 3-5 guys ready to jump in and make an impact anyway and another year to actually evaluate these guys seems like the right thing to do

12. sting101 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Dreger said on Insider Trading this week. “There’s lots of talk across the National Hockey League about the draft being pushed from 2021 – this summer – to 2022 – the summer – and the NHL hosting back-to-back drafts. NHL general managers are very much in favor of this and you got to think the 2021 draft eligible players would also be in favor of it, given the fact a majority of these kids aren’t playing hockey right now. But, keep in mind this is a CBA-related issue, the NHLPA is not involved yet, but they will have to get involved if there’s change.”
    Yes, that would mean 2021 eligible prospects selected in one draft, and 2022 prospects picked a few days later. Draft orders would be made up by the respective results of each season tied to that year’s draft-eligible players.

13. canuckking1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Would be Huge for teams in the top 10. D+1 season of prospects is usually a good indicator of how they're tracking. EP likely would've gone 1st OA after the season he had in Sweden coming into the draft.

bossram, Top, lawrence and 1 other person like this.
  14. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    i'm down for a delayed 2021 draft.

15. The Iron Goalie Formally 'OEL for Norris'

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  16. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    now please stop with this. Bracket was here 5 years before Benning got here and he didn't do shit for us. Podkolzin was not him, that would be a Russian based scout, Eliass Pettersson was not him, and the same with Hoglander.

VIPettersson likes this.
  17. Raistlin1022 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You know.... I did mention NCAA for a reason...

Boeser, Demko, Rathbone, Madden, Gaudette... He did some shit for us.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    bossram likes this.
  18. Izzy Goodenough Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  19. VIPettersson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I know we need help on D but Eklund is a very tempting prospect. :nod:

The Iron Goalie likes this.
  20. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If they did push the 2021 draft back, it still should not change the timeline of when you need to sign them as the 2003 birth year group needs to be signed by 2023 or they go back into the draft. And for those with a late 2002 birthday, they are then immediately eligible to go to the AHL or return for an overage year in the CHL for example.

21. y2kcanucks Le Sex God

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Management
    Home Page:
    I think it would be the same as if they did the draft this year, except they would hold the 2021 draft on one day, and the 2022 draft on another.

22. NuxFan09 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Big fan of Kent Johnson and Brandt Clarke. Hoping for one of those two.

bossram likes this.
  23. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I meant prior to Benning coming. Rathbone and Madden also has 0 nhl games so far. Demko was under a different head amateur scout at that time, but credits to Bracket too. I wish he stayed I do have to agree with Jim on this though. Him controlling the draft floor is too much.

24. lawrence Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    probably one weekend is the 2021 draft another weekend would be the 2022 draft.

y2kcanucks likes this.
  25. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's going to be all over the board. I've seen mocks that have Corson Ceulmans going in the teens and others he's late 20's and a couple that he's into the 30's.

It is a short season for the CHL around 24 games give or take. These tier 2 leagues like the AJHL, BCHL, etc. going to be even tougher for them to get games in.

Advantage for the European based players or kids who have gone over to play as well as the NCAA guys and USHL.

This is a draft where it's going to be difficult to assertain whether you should drop down 10 sports cause you never know what another team sees in a player with so few games.

I mean, there are players like Samuel Fagemo from Sweden who was taken in round 2 in 2019 because he was passed over in 2018 due to injuries. So, small sample sizes and what the player did at 17 wasn't enough to get him taken even at the end of the 2018 draft.

Kind of like if you like a guy, probably best to just take him.

Ceulmans is a guy that I think the Canucks should have their eye on as a RHD. But, really depends on where they draft and how much of a season he has to play. Most of the D in this draft that are in the top 5-7 for Dmen are LHD, like Powers, Hughes, Lambos, Evidsson, etc. Only Brandt Clarke and Ceulmans are RHD.