Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
What’s wrong with powers?

He suffers a bit from 'Myersitis'.

He can make some pretty questionable decisions at times, and gets beaten in the d-zone more easily than he should due to reaching/not moving his feet. His consistency had been better before Michigan postponed their most recent set of games.

I'm not super worried about it, as he should keep improving, but it's something to keep an eye on going forward.

Personally I like Power's game alot, and have him ranked 3rd out of the D prospects for this draft.

Reactions: supercanuck

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Yes he can defend, he’s got a great stick plus he’s really smart in his own zone, and the offensive zone.
Clarke can defend, and is better defensively than Quinn at the same age, but is no slouch offensively. Luke also seems to be better defensively than Quinn at the same age, and has looked more like a smooth two-way puckmover in the mold of Heiskanen (style comp) vs an offensive dynamo like Quinn(though his production has been great so far this season). If we get a top 5 pick this season, and take a defenseman...I'd personally want one of L. Hughes/ Clarke.
Saw him in some top 5 draft picks, one as high as 1st overall. Where do you guys project Clarke will go?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
With the absolute grainiest camera in history with what I'm guessing was the camera man standing on a Medicine Ball it was so shaky I saw last nights game of the NTDP

Hughes is just as aggressive on pushing the pace of play as his older brother.

Ive seen Air Force, Milwaukee Engineering , and ASU. Tough to judge from that sample.
Plus you get thrown off by the fact there is Two different Hughes on the U18 roster if you're trying to follow cam just Luke.

There is a Jack Hughes doppelgänger

What's interesting about this draft proposal is if it were to happen all michigan players would return and then they add Luke Hughes and another 1st rounder this year in Shameskoavich, or however the hell you spell it

Gonna be some some interesting comparison's between luke and Owen Power on the same team playing the same side between each other teams who happen to draft them.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Lots of good defensemen in this draft.

Power: I think he's really good all round, smart, smooth and efficient. Puts a blanket over the ice with his reach. Just don't expect much physicality

Clarke: Very mobile, smart, looks polished against men, another really good all round defenseman, maybe even more offensive potential here

Hughes: Fast and skilled like Quinn, it's weird seeing someone 6'2 use his edges like he does, not sure if he has quite the playmaking or smarts that Quinn does...skates himself into the corners too often for my liking. Not bad defensively but not as good as Power or Clarke IMO

Edvinsson: Even more of a rover than Hughes, if that's even possible...just all over the ice in the SHL, for better or worse. As wild a player as you'll see in that league but they put him on the PP and PK. Elite skater, obviously, looks more awkward than Hughes but gets around just as well if not better, has good skill, need more viewings to evaluate hockey sense but it's not obviously horrible. Looks skinny but is actually pretty strong in puck battles

Ceulemans and Morrow are 2 other players, RHD, that are probably first rounders, not sure how high, as well as Svozil. Not a huge fan of Lambos in limited viewings but he's in there as well

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks continue to flounder and nab another top-10 pick, they could be on the horns of a potential dilemma. Suppose Luke Hughes is still on the board when it comes the Canucks time to draft? Would Jimbo dare pass on him for another player, with his brother Quinn being their best d-man?

I'm getting Oli Juolevi--Matthew Tkachuk vibes here.

Reactions: timw33

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Would Jimbo

hopefully it won't be Jimbo at this time. Please.

any info on Kent Johnson?

Kent Johnson Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

currently teamates of Powers and Beniers. Ranked in the top 10, and is from Port Moody. He's a centre and its a position we might want to consider since in 2 years time today, Bo Horvat is a UFA and lets consider the worst Horvat Jets as a UFA. Wouldn't mind drafting a B.C boy.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Benning is apparently now leading the amateur scouting department while sitting alone in a Toronto hotel room watching 3 minute video clips of draft eligible players and waiting for FA to phone for the fifth time this morning with trade suggestions. What could go wrong at the draft?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
With the absolute grainiest camera in history with what I'm guessing was the camera man standing on a Medicine Ball it was so shaky I saw last nights game of the NTDP

Hughes is just as aggressive on pushing the pace of play as his older brother.

Ive seen Air Force, Milwaukee Engineering , and ASU. Tough to judge from that sample.
Plus you get thrown off by the fact there is Two different Hughes on the U18 roster if you're trying to follow cam just Luke.

There is a Jack Hughes doppelgänger

What's interesting about this draft proposal is if it were to happen all michigan players would return and then they add Luke Hughes and another 1st rounder this year in Shameskoavich, or however the hell you spell it

Gonna be some some interesting comparison's between luke and Owen Power on the same team playing the same side between each other teams who happen to draft them.

If the 2021 draft takes place in 2022 then I would imagine you see some kids from North America turn pro and play in Europe sort of like Matthews. Only some high end guys.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Cole Sillinger seems like a gamer in the 5 - 10 range. PPG as a 16 year old in the WHL last year and seamlessly transitioned to dominating the USHL so far - 9G + 6A for 15 points in 9 GP.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

currently teamates of Powers and Beniers. Ranked in the top 10, and is from Port Moody. He's a centre and its a position we might want to consider since in 2 years time today, Bo Horvat is a UFA and lets consider the worst Horvat Jets as a UFA. Wouldn't mind drafting a B.C boy.

he’s currently playing wing.

was tried at center while Beniers was gone at WJC but wasn’t that impressive.

doesn’t mean he can’t be a center but he’s playing wing this year

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning is apparently now leading the amateur scouting department while sitting alone in a Toronto hotel room watching 3 minute video clips of draft eligible players and waiting for FA to phone for the fifth time this morning with trade suggestions. What could go wrong at the draft?
I’m honestly not sure if you are joking or not

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I’m honestly not sure if you are joking or not
Joke or not the truth is probably frightening whatever there planning :laugh:

I wonder where we will draft this year and what our lotto chancesll be. Was really hoping those thoughts were behind us but here we are :(

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
he’s currently playing wing.

was tried at center while Beniers was gone at WJC but wasn’t that impressive.

doesn’t mean he can’t be a center but he’s playing wing this year

Good to know about Johnson's position. I still have him high on my board, though this definitely explains why some have Beniers ahead of him. Johnson's offensive production as a freshman is certainly impressive.

At this point I'm looking at Brandt Clarke at 1st overall, followed by Luke Hughes, Simon Edvinsson, William Eklund, and Kent Johnson. I would like to see more of Eklund, but from what I've read so far he certainly sounds impressive.

Beniers I like too, but he sounds like someone who will become a safe 2C (not unlike Horvat). Not a bad prospect by any means, but I'm looking to swing for the fences a bit which is why I'd have Johnson ahead of him. The Myers-like vibes have me shying away from Power.

My top 3 could be fluid all season though, but I'm pretty certain those are the top 3 defensemen who I would be looking at.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good to know about Johnson's position. I still have him high on my board, though this definitely explains why some have Beniers ahead of him. Johnson's offensive production as a freshman is certainly impressive.

At this point I'm looking at Brandt Clarke at 1st overall, followed by Luke Hughes, Simon Edvinsson, William Eklund, and Kent Johnson. I would like to see more of Eklund, but from what I've read so far he certainly sounds impressive.

Beniers I like too, but he sounds like someone who will become a safe 2C (not unlike Horvat). Not a bad prospect by any means, but I'm looking to swing for the fences a bit which is why I'd have Johnson ahead of him. The Myers-like vibes have me shying away from Power.

The Michigan Play by Play made a good comparison in comparing Beniers to Toews in his draft in 2008 or was it 2007?
You had the high end skill of Kessel who was lighting up the NCAA and scoring quite higher than Toews. But toews was so foundational.

People like Beniers because he is safe
1st Unit PP
1st Unit PK
Important face-offs at the end of games
intanigbles
high motor

With such little ability to scout this year, Beniers is a safe option if you dont have any doubts about Johnson

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Michigan Play by Play made a good comparison in comparing Beniers to Toews in his draft in 2008 or was it 2007?
You had the high end skill of Kessel who was lighting up the NCAA and scoring quite higher than Toews. But toews was so foundational.

People like Beniers because he is safe
1st Unit PP
1st Unit PK
Important face-offs at the end of games
intanigbles
high motor

With such little ability to scout this year, Beniers is a safe option if you dont have any doubts about Johnson

Yeah the safe option isn't a bad strategy in a year like this year where there could be more busts taken high due to lack of games. What's good is it's fairly easy to compare Johnson and Beniers so by the draft we should have a good idea of who could be the better prospect.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I've been following him for a few years now. He destroyed the BCHL as a 17 year old last year. Come to the Prospects Board and read up on him, (Hockey's Future...remember? lol)

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah the safe option isn't a bad strategy in a year like this year where there could be more busts taken high due to lack of games. What's good is it's fairly easy to compare Johnson and Beniers so by the draft we should have a good idea of who could be the better prospect.

It is easy to compare them as they play on the same line
They really play loose and do creative things together.

But we are now going on week 3 of games being cancelled at michigan. they were cancelled this week again.

Owen power was on fire in the new year, and playing really well, so were all the freshman.
Hurts to have 4 missed games, and they may cancel more unless they can get this outbreak in their athletic department settled.

They arent even practicing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope the Canuck scouts have a good book on these players, because there's going to virtually nothing coming out of the 2020-21 season to base any decisions on. For that reason there's bound to be a lot of outstanding players fall in this draft, for no other reason than nobody's seen them in over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->