2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ah I thought it was the Canucks choice which year to give up.
If the Canucks made the playoffs in 2020, they instantly give up the pick. If they missed the playoffs, they keep the 2020 pick, but pick in 2021 is not subject to any protections, so if the Canuck;s pick win the lottery, TB/NJ get that pick in the top 3.

You saw with Ott/SJ what happens in a worse case scenario when you give up a pick that is not protected. Ott gives up the pick that becomes Byram and SJ gives up the pick that becomes Stutzle.

If I'm looking at guys who are rated around 10, I am intrigued by Raty, the big 6'2 C from Finland. As well as Fabian Lysell, the RW from Sweden, is noted as great skater, who can shoot the puck and is a RHS, something the Canucks don't have coming up as Lind/Lockwood aren't expected to be big scorers in the NHL. Further down is Corson Ceulmans, a RHD from the AJHL who is a 6'2 offensive Dman. But, this is a very odd draft as there are players who won't get many viewings this draft year. So, going to be a lot of variance in draft lists between teams.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it too early to start a separate thread about who the Canucks draft in the top-10? Another five or six games, and the draft lottery will be more important than anything that happens for the rest of this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Five or six? After TO wipes the floor with Van, the only thing to look forward to is the draft.
1/3 of the NHL have played fewer than 10 games while the Canucks are already at 14. So, the Canucks standing in the league will drop once those teams catch up in terms of games.

This draft is going to be all over the map. Aside from the top end like Powers, Hughes, Clarke, etc. I suspect there's going to be way more variation in draft lists from team to team than in any other year due to a maximum viewing of like 30 games for CHL players, along with other leagues.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Has there been any more discussion on delaying the draft until next year?

Given we could be miserable next year as well, that gives us another year to scout this draft class which makes having a top pick a huge advantage. We could potentially go into the draft period with two top picks, one of which is from a 19 year old class.

I am all for it.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is talk but it’s a cba issue. So, for the players it’s not an issue for them as it’s the team that has limited viewings of draft eligible players.

but you have the Seattle Kraken coming in so they start without a draft?

Reactions: Bonham

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It will start to open up here in a few for some viewing of other leagues.
Scouts have been flooding michigan and NCAA games, and the USHL, USNDP games with so little else going on.

seeing as our right side defense, and prospect pool for right side defense is worst in the league. Makes me want watch more of Brandt Clarke but H-TV record option is allowing to record games. :thumbd:

ASAP Surg

Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
There is talk but it’s a cba issue. So, for the players it’s not an issue for them as it’s the team that has limited viewings of draft eligible players.

but you have the Seattle Kraken coming in so they start without a draft?

Haven't thought through how other teams would think about it, but I wonder if the league could give the Kraken two lottery picks back-to-back in the 2022 draft for their trouble.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Can Brandt Clarke defend? Is he an OFD or a Two-way D?
Nobody is going to usurp Hughes from the #1 PP, they need a two-way player.

Reactions: Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can take quick look at the 2021 draft on TSN, where Bob McKenzie's early season ratings have been up for awhile on 'draft-center'. But he's the first to admit that draft rankings this year are more of a crapshoot than ever. Half of the draft-eligible players haven't played in a single game.

But this might be the year when you go out and acquire some picks, even if they're in later rounds. There's bound to be somebody who falls than for no other reason than nobody has seen him play in enough games. If your scouts are tuned in, you might find some real gems.

The way things are going, I still think the draft will be far more important to the Canucks fortunes than where they end up in this gimmicky Canadian Division.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You can take quick look at the 2021 draft on TSN, where Bob McKenzie's early season ratings have been up for awhile on 'draft-center'. But he's the first to admit that draft rankings this year are more of a crapshoot than ever. Half of the draft-eligible players haven't played in a single game.

But this might be the year when you go out and acquire some picks, even if they're in later rounds. There's bound to be somebody who falls than for no other reason than nobody has seen him play in enough games. If your scouts are tuned in, you might find some real gems.

The way things are going, I still think the draft will be far more important to the Canucks fortunes than where they end up in this gimmicky Canadian Division.

Yep. Liquidate anyone not crucial for picks this year.

I'd even flip Miller to EDM or MTL for another first. He's a lazy pouter anyway.

I like Luke Hughes, but none of the other defensemen at the top of the draft get me really excited. Maybe Brandt Clarke, but he is really a wild card.

Beniers and Kent Johnson are two that I'm pretty high on.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's too bad Owen Power isn't a righty, could've solved a lot of problems on the back end if he was.

I personally think we need to start looking years ahead instead of 1 or 2 years ahead, like for example 4 or 5 years from now even though Powers shoots left cause by then Edler, and Smidht are long gone. Heck I am even contimplating a centreman since in 2 years time Bo Horvat is a UFA and worst case is he will go to another team if this is still a shit hole, and if we have drafted a centreman this summer we will have on ready to fill in the top 2 centres.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Yes he can defend, he’s got a great stick plus he’s really smart in his own zone, and the offensive zone.

Reactions: supercanuck and WTG

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

Clarke can defend, and is better defensively than Quinn at the same age, but is no slouch offensively. Luke also seems to be better defensively than Quinn at the same age, and has looked more like a smooth two-way puckmover in the mold of Heiskanen (style comp) vs an offensive dynamo like Quinn(though his production has been great so far this season). If we get a top 5 pick this season, and take a defenseman...I'd personally want one of L. Hughes/ Clarke.

Reactions: supercanuck and WTG

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Clarke can defend, and is better defensively than Quinn at the same age, but is no slouch offensively. Luke also seems to be better defensively than Quinn at the same age, and has looked more like a smooth two-way puckmover in the mold of Heiskanen (style comp) vs an offensive dynamo like Quinn(though his production has been great so far this season). If we get a top 5 pick this season, and take a defenseman...I'd personally want one of L. Hughes/ Clarke.

No forwards worthy ? Let’s say all 3 of Clarke Hughes are powers is gone. Who we take now ?

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
No forwards worthy ? Let’s say all 3 of Clarke Hughes are powers is gone. Who we take now ?

I mentioned in my post "If we get a top 5 pick, and take a defenseman" then I'd go Hughes/Clarke. However under your conditions, if we take a forward... I'd run to the podium to select William Eklund. I don't think he's NHL ready next year, but should be in his draft + 2. Adding Eklund to our top 6/9 in two years would be crazy imo. If Eklund's gone you take Beniers as he'd make for the perfect 3C behind Petey +Bo, and could fill in at 2C if/when the team moves on from Horvat.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I mentioned in my post "If we get a top 5 pick, and take a defenseman" then I'd go Hughes/Clarke. However under your conditions, if we take a forward... I'd run to the podium to select William Eklund. I don't think he's NHL ready next year, but should be in his draft + 2. Adding Eklund to our top 6/9 in two years would be crazy imo. If Eklund's gone you take Beniers as he'd make for the perfect 3C behind Petey +Bo, and could fill in at 2C if/when the team moves on from Horvat.
It's nice thought--the GM actually sprinting to the podium to make our pick. It would be a far cry from the Zoom draft we just completed.

Looking at Bob McKenzie's rankings there a few d-men at the top of the draft. Only concern with Eklund is that he's a sub-6' forward. The Finnish Center Aatu Raty has kind of dropped down the draft board because he's played a lot of games in the Finnish Lige without much of a breakthrough season, and was bypassed for their World Jr. Team. But if the Canucks are looking for a center, he's bound to go in the top-10.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
It's nice thought--the GM actually sprinting to the podium to make our pick. It would be a far cry from the Zoom draft we just completed.

Looking at Bob McKenzie's rankings there a few d-men at the top of the draft. Only concern with Eklund is that he's a sub-6' forward. The Finnish Center Aatu Raty has kind of dropped down the draft board because he's played a lot of games in the Finnish Lige without much of a breakthrough season, and was bypassed for their World Jr. Team. But if the Canucks are looking for a center, he's bound to go in the top-10.

I'd probably take Raty top 10, but not top 5. Eklund, Beniers, and even Lysell would interest me a little more. However, that's the beauty of the draft class...the top 10ish players are all in the same tier, so it'll be volatile if the draft is held this summer (could be moved to June 2022).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What’s wrong with powers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->