2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd stay away from Powers tbh. Seems like more of that toolsy guy that scout drool over than a budding star Dman.
Going to be an interesting draft. So few games to evaluate players on. Scouts likely all spending their time watching video of the 2021 draft eligible guys.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
sorry to burst your bubble, but the return for sutter would likely be nothing. no one needs a defensively meh, offensively meh bottom sixer with speed as his only stand out attribute.

maybe someone with some depth issues would give a 5th or later but when teams can usually call up the equivalent from their taxi squads

same with beagle and roussell.

i'm trying to think of any team where sutter, beagle or roussell would be a big enough upgrade to justify trading a piece, and there's maybe one or two, but the moment you factor in there's other options with better contracts and more upside; that brings the possibility to virtually nil.

attractive players are guys like edler.

I don’t know,every year teams badly overpay for defensive players at the TDL,especially centres and defensemen and a second from a contending team is likely to be in the 50-60 range so almost like a third.

Also,with this draft being such a crapshoot maybe GM’s won’t value picks as highly in other years.

Have to wait and see how many more hat tricks he posts before we can get a good read on his true value,though.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I don’t know,every year teams badly overpay for defensive players at the TDL,especially centres and defensemen and a second from a contending team is likely to be in the 50-60 range so almost like a third.

Also,with this draft being such a crapshoot maybe GM’s won’t value picks as highly in other years.

Have to wait and see how many more hat tricks he posts before we can get a good read on his true value,though.

sutter isn't a defensive player tho

Nov 1, 2011
Im way more on board with this than is rational.
But go out and get jack asap.

If you sign Quinn for 8 years, and Jack works it, Jack will be a UFA in 5.5 years.

If the Quinn bros discuss it, we'll have two. Jack will sign a bridge then go to arbitration when he hits UFA, at 25, then we'll have 3.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I'd stay away from Powers tbh. Seems like more of that toolsy guy that scout drool over than a budding star Dman.

Hes Aaron Ekblad. You may not get a franchise level game changing dman, but youre gonna get a guy to play 20-25 minutes every night and put up 30-40 points for the next 10+ years almost guaranteed.

Now obviously Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Point would go ahead of him now, but I don't think the Panthers regret that pick at all.

Reactions: lawrence

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Really like both Power and Clarke. Power is very smooth, efficient and cerebral and makes it look easy to control the game. There is almost zero physicality to his game right now, other than that he looks very similar to Pronger on the ice. Clarke looks a lot of like Klingberg especially in the green in that video.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Really like both Power and Clarke. Power is very smooth, efficient and cerebral and makes it look easy to control the game. There is almost zero physicality to his game right now, other than that he looks very similar to Pronger on the ice. Clarke looks a lot of like Klingberg especially in the green in that video.
Where will we have to draft to snag one of these top D prospects?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hughes is racking up the points, however a recent scouting source I found shows that Luke is lazy defensively. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
basically win the draft lottery.
Canucks are simply not that horrid to talk about Power or Clarke. We need a guy to replace Edler.

Two guys that make sense is Lambos and Chayka. Both are strong LHD that can munch minutes and play solidly on both ends. Lambos has more offensive ceiling in my opinion. Whereas Chayka is more rounded and would be welcomed by Podkolzin and another guy Larionov is high on. I don't know if the fanbase can stomach another russian prospect, but the good news is he's only on loan to the KHL.

Lambos is not going top 10, I think both will go in the teens, so that is more likely where the Canucks will pick.

Reactions: CanuckCity

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Given the lack of playing time for a lot of junior players, a proper evaluation will be very difficult, so we could see some very good players fall to the middle/second half of the 1st round where the Canucks will likely pick. Maybe we will get lucky. Even the 2nd round could yield some huge surprises. Unique draft year (assuming there is a draft).

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
It is a weaker draft, but the top 15 depth looks pretty good.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I can totally see the Canucks finally winning the 1st overall pick only to see the worst entry draft since it started in the 60sm

Reactions: GrogZilla

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I can totally see the Canucks finally winning the 1st overall pick only to see the worst entry draft since it started in the 60sm

no way this is as bad as 2012 or 2007. I think the 1st pick might not be distinct but there are some solid guys in the top 10.

Be curious how it plays out in terms of the Miller trade.

Do we look back and think we should habe kept last years vs this years.

we made the right call surrendering it, while we are in a playoff spot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Be curious how it plays out in terms of the Miller trade.

Do we look back and think we should habe kept last years vs this years.
Canucks didn't have an option. It was conditional based on their performance last season.

This year's draft will be tough given the limited viewings teams/scouts have of players. Top of the draft doesn't appear as strong as prior years. I'd say the quality after the top 3 is about what you would find in most drafts.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Canucks didn't have an option. It was conditional based on their performance last season.

This year's draft will be tough given the limited viewings teams/scouts have of players. Top of the draft doesn't appear as strong as prior years. I'd say the quality after the top 3 is about what you would find in most drafts.
Ah I thought it was the Canucks choice which year to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad