2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Last time you are going to see Michigan for a bit was last night

entire school sports department shutdown.
So 3 kids who are going to go in the top 10 are going to be done for awhile.

Hmm, that really throws a wrench in things. When and if the WHL/OHL resume, you may see a rise in the stock of prospects there.

Pie in the sky question, can Power and Johnson come back to Canada and play in the CHL, if the NCAA is shut down for the rest of the year?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hmm, that really throws a wrench in things. When and if the WHL/OHL resume, you may see a rise in the stock of prospects there.

Pie in the sky question, can Power and Johnson come back to Canada and play in the CHL, if the NCAA is shut down for the rest of the year?

I mean they could, but the scholarship is void forever because they got paid.
Power could go back to the USHL, and Johnson could go back to the BCHL, technically I believe.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Canucks might pick top 10 this year. There are no easy wins in our division. Not even Ottawa. They arent going to be gifted games against LA, ANA, and SJS. Too bad there are so many holes in our line up though. Top 6 W, Two top 4 D if Edler leaves.

We’re the first team to go three games below .500 and all the losses give two points to a divisional rival.We’re in good shape for a bad season.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Brandt Clarke at eliteprospects.com

wow... he's playing his draft season overseas actually... 1 goal so far.... not sure what read the scouts can get out of him
Yeah, him and his brother Graeme (NJ) are playing in Slovakia of all places. Better than not playing at all I guess. I like him over the rest so far. Luke will be interesting, then maybe at one point Jack will come for a year or two like the Niedermayers in Anaheim.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah this is a wild draft for right handed dman.
Clarke is it for awhile in the draft.
If you ever could obtain every team's draft list for this 2021 draft, it is going to vary quite a bit. CHL appears to only be getting between 24-30 games this season. NCAA, Ivy League shut down. Other leagues are playing. Europe is playing. Hard to get a consensus this season of the first round talent.

Ideally for the Canucks, they need a RHD in round 1. Main point of weakness of the team. Also need a goal scoring RHS forward. Gap in offensive talent between Boeser to Virtanen, Lind, Lockwood who are your younger RHS forwards.

If this season doesn't turn around they have to unload Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn, etc. for some draft picks.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If you ever could obtain every team's draft list for this 2021 draft, it is going to vary quite a bit. CHL appears to only be getting between 24-30 games this season. NCAA, Ivy League shut down. Other leagues are playing. Europe is playing. Hard to get a consensus this season of the first round talent.

Ideally for the Canucks, they need a RHD in round 1. Main point of weakness of the team. Also need a goal scoring RHS forward. Gap in offensive talent between Boeser to Virtanen, Lind, Lockwood who are your younger RHS forwards.

If this season doesn't turn around they have to unload Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn, etc. for some draft picks.

This is a good year to tank with a draft loaded with top D and our glaring weakness in that area and those expiring UFA’s who might have some value at the TDL.
However,Edler probably won’t waive and Sutter can’t seem to stay healthy but Pearson and Benn could fetch decent returns.

WPG is looking good,OTT is better than expected and if EDM can pick it up,then we’ll be buried long before the TDL on April 12th

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a good year to tank with a draft loaded with top D and our glaring weakness in that area and those expiring UFA’s who might have some value at the TDL.
However,Edler probably won’t waive and Sutter can’t seem to stay healthy but Pearson and Benn could fetch decent returns.

WPG is looking good,OTT is better than expected and if EDM can pick it up,then we’ll be buried long before the TDL on April 12th
Pearson would return the highest value. Edler if he did waive, which most don't expect him to, not during Covid, would get roughly the same as a veteran 2nd pair dman. Benn, I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 5th rounder. Sutter, should get something, so long as the Canucks retain, like a 6th round pick or something. Hamonic signed a NMC, but see how that goes, if Winnipeg or another Canadian team calls.

TDL would also be the time if they can setup a deal where they retain a quarter to a half of Beagle/Roussel to make that move.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The good news is that the Canucks retain all their picks for 2021 draft. The 'bad news' is that virtually all of the top prospects will only play a few games in 2021. So the scouts are doubly challenged when it comes to assessing 18-year old hockey players.

But if the Canucks fall out of it early, Benning would be wise to deal some of his veterans on expiring contracts to playoff bound teams, and acquire more picks for the upcoming draft. But when was the last time Benning actually did that?

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Pearson would return the highest value. Edler if he did waive, which most don't expect him to, not during Covid, would get roughly the same as a veteran 2nd pair dman. Benn, I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 5th rounder. Sutter, should get something, so long as the Canucks retain, like a 6th round pick or something. Hamonic signed a NMC, but see how that goes, if Winnipeg or another Canadian team calls.

TDL would also be the time if they can setup a deal where they retain a quarter to a half of Beagle/Roussel to make that move.

Yes,Sutter would get a decent return,maybe even a second,if he’s healthy and playing well as defensive players and centres are at a premium at the TDL.However, by that part of the season,Sutter is usually out of the lineup or badly hampered by injury and not effective.One can hope for a good season from him but history isn’t on his side.

That would be amazing if Benning could find a taker for Beagle or Roussel but we’d likely have to retain the max on either one to make it palatable for the other team with the extra year on the contract.That could hurt us next season,but I guess it would come down to the issue of if we could find someone better to utilize with the 1.5M in cap savings.I think we could sign a UFA for that or have Michaelis or Lockwood replace them and bring in a cheap UFA vet in reserve.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The good news is that the Canucks retain all their picks for 2021 draft. The 'bad news' is that virtually all of the top prospects will only play a few games in 2021. So the scouts are doubly challenged when it comes to assessing 18-year old hockey players.

But if the Canucks fall out of it early, Benning would be wise to deal some of his veterans on expiring contracts to playoff bound teams, and acquire more picks for the upcoming draft. But when was the last time Benning actually did that?

The optimist in me says that Benning is the kind of old-school talent evaluator who may actually benefit over his peers by prospects playing only a few games this season. I could be totally wrong though.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

BPA all the way. Of course a righty dman will great.

Nov 1, 2011
f*** it, draft Hughes, sign Quinn up for 8 years. See if they can push Jack to come over in 5 years.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The advanced stat scouts will be quite hamstrung without enough of a sample size, so I would expect Benning to have an advantage in this unique season ..albeit slight.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The advanced stat scouts will be quite hamstrung without enough of a sample size, so I would expect Benning to have an advantage in this unique season ..albeit slight.
This line of thinking is incredibly strange.

Because there isn't a large sample of metrics to go on, advantage goes to the guy who might not see 3/4 of the eligible players and might only see them once or twice?

Don't we already know that "seeing a guy a couple times can lead to mistakes"? We almost ended up with Cody Glass as opposed to Elias Pettersson based on this line of thinking.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This line of thinking is incredibly strange.

Because there isn't a large sample of metrics to go on, advantage goes to the guy who might not see 3/4 of the eligible players and might only see them once or twice?

Don't we already know that "seeing a guy a couple times can lead to mistakes"? We almost ended up with Cody Glass as opposed to Elias Pettersson based on this line of thinking.

And we ended up with juloevi instead of tkachuk cause of it

And I still think glass is a gonna be a good player

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Yes,Sutter would get a decent return,maybe even a second,if he’s healthy and playing well as defensive players and centres are at a premium at the TDL.However, by that part of the season,Sutter is usually out of the lineup or badly hampered by injury and not effective.One can hope for a good season from him but history isn’t on his side.

That would be amazing if Benning could find a taker for Beagle or Roussel but we’d likely have to retain the max on either one to make it palatable for the other team with the extra year on the contract.That could hurt us next season,but I guess it would come down to the issue of if we could find someone better to utilize with the 1.5M in cap savings.I think we could sign a UFA for that or have Michaelis or Lockwood replace them and bring in a cheap UFA vet in reserve.

sorry to burst your bubble, but the return for sutter would likely be nothing. no one needs a defensively meh, offensively meh bottom sixer with speed as his only stand out attribute.

maybe someone with some depth issues would give a 5th or later but when teams can usually call up the equivalent from their taxi squads

same with beagle and roussell.

i'm trying to think of any team where sutter, beagle or roussell would be a big enough upgrade to justify trading a piece, and there's maybe one or two, but the moment you factor in there's other options with better contracts and more upside; that brings the possibility to virtually nil.

attractive players are guys like edler.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
sorry to burst your bubble, but the return for sutter would likely be nothing. no one needs a defensively meh, offensively meh bottom sixer with speed as his only stand out attribute.

maybe someone with some depth issues would give a 5th or later but when teams can usually call up the equivalent from their taxi squads

same with beagle and roussell.

i'm trying to think of any team where sutter, beagle or roussell would be a big enough upgrade to justify trading a piece, and there's maybe one or two, but the moment you factor in there's other options with better contracts and more upside; that brings the possibility to virtually nil.

attractive players are guys like edler.
Contracts at the TDL dont Matter too much for a ufa to be. Canucks can retain on Sutter to bring the cap hit down to under $2.2 mill. Return won’t be a 2nd or 3rd imo unless something drastically changes. Looking at a 4/5th round pick at this point.

They would have to retain on Roussell and Besgle to move them with term left on the contract. Retention is a better option than a buyout since both have front loaded deals. But neither guy is playing that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad