Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That would be really disappointing at 13, but it checks out. He, like Desnoyers, played for John Torchetti (former Wild coach) last year. Button also loves him and "his guys" seem to line up with the Flyers board more often than not.

The Minnesota shit is the most farcical aspect of the complete farce this organization has become. F***'s sake.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I could see the Flyers taking L’Heureux at 13.

They surely have seen him quite a bit, as he played with Desnoyers both in Moncton & Halifax.

He’s a skilled player who was just under a pt/g at age 16 & over a pt/g at 17.

And he plays a physical, irritating game, which the Flyers sorely lack.

The question is if they are comfortable with his defensive effort, because otherwise he checks a lot of boxes. Obviously they have a good relationship with former Moncton coach Torchetti, who tipped them off about Desnoyers, so I’m sure his input will be important.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My approach would be to trade back and target homeruns in this draft unless there's a priority to ship out a lot of the prospect depth for NHL talent.

There seems to be a lot of movement over a year in public rankings due to risers. I'm guessing that teams privately make big changes on their boards as informed by updated and available scouting. I'd like to understand the delta on pick #13 with a normal full season of scouting.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
My approach would be to trade back and target homeruns in this draft unless there's a priority to ship out a lot of the prospect depth for NHL talent.

There seems to be a lot of movement over a year in public rankings due to risers. I'm guessing that teams privately make big changes on their boards as informed by updated and available scouting. I'd like to understand the delta on pick #13 with a normal full season of scouting.

This is exactly what I am doing in the Mock Draft.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Lot of hate for L’Heureux by a bunch of people who didn't watch him play at all. I for one wouldn't be upset seeing him drafted at 13. Halifax pumps out studs pretty regularly, and I love his style of play and craftiness.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Lot of hate for L’Heureux by a bunch of people who didn't watch him play at all. I for one wouldn't be upset seeing him drafted at 13. Halifax pumps out studs pretty regularly, and I love his style of play and craftiness.

Ya, but his name is hard to pronounce so why draft him?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Anyone who knows me knows that I don't watch anyone play at all. I watch 3 minutes of highlights, read an article, then bullshit away. But I do it convincingly!

As for L’Heureux, it's hard to ignore that 13 goals and 28 points came in 12 games against Cape Breton, the worst team in the division. He had 6 goals and 11 points in the other 21 games. Now, given the pandemic scheduling (he played 2 teams since January), many of those games came against the best team in the division. What's a red flag, what's noise, it's hard to say other than don't treat anything at face value.

In the games I allegedly watched, he just seems so bang average. I do actually like him -- boy is thicc, has some puck poise, positionally very sound, drives the net. I can buy NHL potential, but his skills just seem a bit flat for me to move beyond "high floor" player. I just can't imagine this is the skill-set you'd want in lotto range or specifically identify for a trade down. Let alone for this team. If we were talking a 2nd or 3rd rounder with this profile......

Here's a game against the better team. I obviously won't watch it, but maybe CODEINE can pump out some comments:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

You have obviously watched him a lot, CODEINE. What did you see when you watched him?

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Have to disagree on the skill side, I think you're shortchanging him a bit. I'm not going to say he has first-line potential, but I don't really think many do where we're drafting at (unless a few guys fall, which is a possibility). That Charlottetown team (who probably would have won the league / Mem cup if it was going to happen). this year, he was a workhorse. Mooseheads were terrible (one of the worst Mooseheads I've seen in a long time, imagine half the games reminiscent of us playing the Rangers this year), Flyer Esq with swiss cheese from the first forward line, back. That team is all Destroyer / LAROO / Barron, then straight-up Pylons. I probably wouldn't have gone to any games this year if it wasn't for those 3 above. I see some Farabee in him, but interchange the shot Farabee has / for the play-making skills L’Heureux has. Every time I watch him though, I see a ton of Pageau. Even a little Marchand (minus being a wank job). But L’Heureux definitely plays heavier, pretty much 200 pounds already. Your right about thick, which makes me believe he will be able to transition his game. Plus, he and destroyer together would be really interesting to see together at this level.

I've been watching the Moose since 96.....I've watched every single kid from then on who's come from the Q (or played in Halifax).

Reactions: macleish1974

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
L'Heureux had twice as many goals as he had primary assists at ES. Wouldn't classify him as a playmaker.

Reminds me a bit of Comtois. A post-hype, former top 10 prospect now on that 1st round fringe.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
L'Heureux had twice as many goals as he had primary assists at ES. Wouldn't classify him as a playmaker.

Reminds me a bit of Comtois. A post-hype, former top 10 prospect now on that 1st round fringe.

You're right about the goals vs assists, but I still see him being a play maker more so than a go to shooter. That being said, he does have a decent shot, and is more likely to take a good shot on a 2 on 1 than push a Kevin Hayes pass. If Comtois is where he could be, then I'd probably be taking him at 13 lol. I personally think L'Heureux has more skill potential than Comtois.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You're right about the goals vs assists, but I still see him being a play maker more so than a go to shooter. That being said, he does have a decent shot, and is more likely to take a good shot on a 2 on 1 than push a Kevin Hayes pass. If Comtois is where he could be, then I'd probably be taking him at 13 lol. I personally think L'Heureux has more skill potential than Comtois.
If you could guarantee me he'd take the DY to DY+1 leap that Comtois did, I could get on board with him at 13. In my experience that doesn't feel likely.

He's still a solid prospect and not wanting him at 13 is as much about what the possible board could look like in that range (meh) than him as a player. He's fine, but I'm looking for more from a lottery pick.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
If you could guarantee me he'd take the DY to DY+1 leap that Comtois did, I could get on board with him at 13. In my experience that doesn't feel likely.

He's still a solid prospect and not wanting him at 13 is as much about what the possible board could look like in that range (meh) as him as a player. He's fine, but I'm looking for more from a lottery pick.

I certainly see him putting up bigger numbers in Halifax next year, him making a jump the next year on this team, even for a handful of games? Unlikely, but it's not like we have a ton of room to make those accommodations (but I also don't see a single player that will be at 13 that would be able to either).

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I certainly see him putting up bigger numbers in Halifax next year, him making a jump the next year on this team, even for a handful of games? Unlikely, but it's not like we have a ton of room to make those accommodations (but I also don't see a single player that will be at 13 that would be able to either).
Didn’t he have injury concerns or am I making that up?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I actually had a soft spot for Comtois, even when he got knocked in his draft year. I would've bet on him, but he did go #50. Honestly, it's an apt comparison in skill-set. Just that Comtois has 3 inches and 15-20 pounds on L'Heureux, which isn't inconsequential. I do think he's versatile, but for a lack of glaring weaknesses, he also has no standout traits, other than maybe hockey sense. Maybe if he had another skating gear....

I mean, if we're throwing out names like Farabee and Marchand, I bow out of this conversation. L'Heureux looks like a high floor ~30-45 point NHL player, and that's my take. 3rd line talent, perhaps playing up as a 3rd wheel. That has plenty value, just not at the cost of a #13 pick or thereabouts.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The guy had 53 points in 55 games as a 16-year-old, leading all '03 birthdays in the QMJHL.

He had 39 points in 33 games as a 17-year-old, ranking second among all '03 birthdays in the QMJHL.

He was drafted third overall in the QMJHL entry draft. He has a strong wrist shot. He gets to the net. Seems to be good at carrying the puck into the zone.

And you've got a poster smugly dismissing him like he's a third line, no-skill, no-offense mucker. Not to mention the fact that this isn't exactly a draft loaded with top-line scoring prospects who will be available at 13. I mean, come on.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I know some have compared him to Voracek, but I do see more Marchand for sure. When I watched Brad/ and Jake play here, I had him as a 50 point ceiling / annoying piece of shit ceiling type at the NHL level. I think L'Heureux has 60 point ceiling potential while bringing a lot of those Marchand elements. He isn't Mcdavid fast, but I mean to get another gear, I feel like he'd have to be on that level. He is pretty damn fast and really explodes from the blue line in. Comtois/Marchand/Pageau...I feel like your getting something within this spectrum as a best case. Is that going to be better than what Sillinger or Mctavish is going to bring to the table?

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
The guy had 53 points in 55 games as a 16-year-old, leading all '03 birthdays in the QMJHL.

He had 39 points in 33 games as a 17-year-old, ranking second among all '03 birthdays in the QMJHL.

He was drafted third overall in the QMJHL entry draft. He has a strong wrist shot. He gets to the net. Seems to be good at carrying the puck into the zone.

And you've got a poster smugly dismissing him like he's a third line, no-skill, no-offense mucker. Not to mention the fact that this isn't exactly a draft loaded with top-line scoring prospects who will be available at 13. I mean, come on.

The funny part is, he is literally the type of guy every Flyer fan whines about us not having.....every year. He's talented, will hit anything, drives the net, will actually take the puck in / not AV dumps, extremely strong forechecker/backchecker, shoots on 2 on 1's. I see him as a 2nd liner and would be a more than welcome addition to this future mix (plus Destroyer IMO is our biggest wild card prospect). I've watched him a dozen times "Destroyer" - and I really can't figure out if this guy is actually awesome, or is a fluke. If he does turn out half decent, them playing together might actually be really interesting.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad