Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is one of the guys I was referring to that I don't get.

His shot is not just good, but versatile. He gets to the slot at will at this level of competition. What's he going to do when that's not possible? Playmaking is barely functional in the USHL. I've seen some mentions that there's more evidence in previous seasons, but from what I could find of this year, the shoot-first mentality drove his positioning and reactions to an overwhelming degree. I can't tell you that he's a poor passer, but that's because he's not a puck possession guy either. He just rips it. That's a tough road to the NHL.

I'm just never going to be the high team in a draft pool on that archetype. Several other people/teams will think he's their target. I'd be taking him as a value proposition.

If we always ask, how will a player win? How will he create space? I’m not sure I have an answer at present for Sillinger. I don’t think he’s theoretically playmaking deficient, per se, but when you’re not a transition threat, not a real threat on the wall, when checking is way tighter cutting middle, how will you get your shot — your major weapon— off? If you might not create space for yourself or your teammates, that’s not my ideal prospect.

Lucius is another one. Doubles his goals to assists at every stop. 13 goals in 13 USHL games.....at 2.6 shots/game. It’s a good shot, but that doesn’t cut it for me. In the couple games I saw, he played the slot on the PP, lot of 5v5 net drive looks — not so much creating his own looks. Now, he’s bigger and more average athletically, but for a guy flirting top 10, not sure I see it. He’s not a poor center, just vanilla, but projectable goal scoring centers are unicorns. Lucius doesn’t look like a unicorn.

This could be the rare draft where the USHL/NCAA players are the overvalued ones because of adequate sample.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Having now watched game footage of Sillinger, I'm surprisingly meh on him. His statistical profile screams, "Pass on this kid, if you dare." But it's hard for me to get past his skating because it's so......flat. He doesn't have any extra gears, baby steps around the ice back on his skates, is pretty lazy taking strides even -- pressuring or under pressure. Great hands, but that skating could be a hang-up for me when projecting a lotto pick. He kind of reminds me of Bourque from last year in some ways, though I was a bit more down on him than others.

Early watches on some guys -- minus Lysell in that range, who could be gone -- have left me shrugging my shoulders so far. Lucius, Guenther....I really don't know.

I watched a game of Lambos. I actually quite like him. He looks real solid in all 3 zones, high panic threshold with the puck, subtly skilled, above average across the board. Having said that, the Flyers are loaded at LD -- and I don't think Lambos is better than any of the players we have. Looks like a good complimentary pro, but #13 seems too rich for my blood. I watched a Finnish u20 game, and while he stood out with his approach, I just am not sure if he possesses a high-end trait or offensive assertiveness. He's pretty physically mature too.
I'm a phan of his but we know the family quite well so I am bias . Was just wanting another look from someone who's opinion I value . Thanks

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
jack-eichel-2021-33.jpg

One. More. Ginger.

Reactions: FlyerNutter

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You asked about first round, but I'm going through Central Scouting's list and noticing all of these kids that were committed to play Major Junior this year and either didn't because their season got cancelled or the season was so short you can't really evaluate it. I mean you would have to take some of these kids based off of their Junior B seasons as 16 year olds. I don't know how you do it. The draft eligible first year junior player just doesn't really exist this year.

There's a tournament going on in Erie with some of these guys but how much can you take from that?

I'm really curious what some teams will do because there undoubtedly will be good NHL players that slip or don't get drafted at all this year because of the situation. Do you trade back multiple times and just grab lotto tickets or do you stick exclusively to picking players who have a large sample of games this year?

I say lottery tickets. I would trade back and trade guys for later picks as well. There are going to be high end guys in later rounds. Try and turn Braun to a Marchand or Datsyuk

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Junior centers who don't have great speed or vision and are primarily shooters are NHL wings.
Flyers have plenty of top wing prospects, they need C and RHD in their organization.
That being said, #13 is Gold have to go BPA.

Though if a player who can move the needle the next two to three years isn't available, I'd trade down.
This isn't 2014 where we need talent, Flyers can afford to go big or go home, that is, trade up or target someone who can help in the near future, or trade down, amass lottery picks and take the long view with upside gambles that may take five years to fruition.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I wouldn’t say he can play the entire rink and his skating isn’t great but he’s arguably the most skilled player in the draft. Good production but more than half of his points were secondary assists. Early in the year I thought he was a better prospect than Beniers, but his floor is just so much lower.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ve been grinding the shift videos of late, and I almost universally think, “Is that it?” Not that guys aren’t solid players, but so many potential lotto 1sts or thereabouts don’t look that high upside.

Conversely, I’ve seen a handful of perhaps non-1sts who seem quite interesting value wise.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Some stray thoughts (small sample caveats) @FLYguy3911. Agree? Disagree? Some guys you think I should check out? Obviously, I have more watching to do and another batch of names....
  • McTavish: likely not available, tons of easily projectable pro attributes, maybe lacks a dynamic gear in hands/feet? Plenty hockey sense, good skill, but perhaps more a worker with skill? Not sure he's really a top 6-10 true talent, even if I like him
  • Coronato: one of the only non top guys to actually jump out at me as having some "it" qualities. The skating needs some work in burst and top end, but he actually has quick feet and edges and understands where to skate/anticipate -- head manned most transitions and unafraid attacking 1 on 1. Chicago is a train, but he was by far the best player on his line in what I watched. Smaller thicc boi who is a beast through contact (often initiated). Quick, versatile hands and plenty skill
  • Heimosalmi: fantastic RH puck mover and poised in tight spaces, great stick and positioning, do wish his skating had more oomph because it's a little average in the stride department. I know he was very good at the u18s too. Maybe a trade down guy?
  • Mallioux: skeptical on the puck moving department or offense beyond shooting, looks f***ing massive (bigger than 6'3) and rangy on the ice though. Very good defensively and pinching. Not really a 1st but raw
  • Guenther: super well-rounded, smart, projectable complimentary guy. Like McTavish, I just think he lacks that dynamic quality to vaunt him into high end range. Rock solid though maybe as a support scoring, play driving 2nd liner
  • Svechkov: he really does have "good Rubtsov" vibes -- with better feet. I still don't know if that's a good thing. I like play controlling, cerebral centers.....but over the years I've been burned by guys who need less composure and more urgency. I still like him though in that high floor/mid ceiling range
  • Buium: weirdly left-handed RD, accommodating his much smaller partner. Quite good defensively up and down the ice. Surprising playmaking when activated. Flat skating though, no loud tool
  • Pinelli: hard to get a read on his offensive skills. Definitely an NHL athletic profile, strong u18 numbers but I can't comment on them. Flashes but I'm just not sure -- wasn't on the puck enough in the game I saw
  • Othmann: rangy; good forechecker; motor; not entirely sold on the raw skill level, especially as a playmaker
  • Dean: like how cerebral he is, really clean game on/off puck; but not sure there's enough there offensively beyond maybe a 3rd liner
  • Bolduc/L'Heureux: just too bland for me as 1sts. At least L'Heureux played with some pace and a plan and has NHL potential. Bolduc just looked slow and confused in the IQ department

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For competitive purposes, I'll circle back on this as to not give away all of "my guys" as the board's mock draft is going on. :P

I've mostly been focusing on guys outside the first round and then I plan on coming back to Flyers targets for the first round (before they trade the pick for Jones).

Mallioux: skeptical on the puck moving department or offense beyond shooting, looks f***ing massive (bigger than 6'3) and rangy on the ice though. Very good defensively and pinching. Not really a 1st but raw
Yeah, he's a big boy and athletic. Seems like a big piece of clay type prospect with a huge variance. You liked his defensive game? That was the part I was unsure about. He played in a glorified beer league this year with little structure so that probably played a part but he didn't looked real comfortable defending rushes. He didn't look comfortable going backwards, much better as an attacker. But as we talked about with Power, he looks athletic and agile enough to overcome it. Agree on the other points.

McKenzie has him ranked in the mid-40s so you probably won't get him in the mid round where I'd feel more comfortable taking him without any exposure to high end competition. His scoring in minor hockey was on par with Ethan Del Mastro who is a DND for me, but he had the highest scoring u19 season in the Junior B league he played in at 16 (ahead of Montour who did it at 18 and scored everywhere else) so the arrow seems to be pointing up. Not sure why he didn't get invited to the u18s other than obvious reasons because that blueline was garbage outside of the top 3 guys.

London has three huge RHD prospects in this draft that I've heard varying things about (Bryce Montgomery and Ben Roger). They seem to load up on them every year and end up playing them on their off-side.

Svechkov: he really does have "good Rubtsov" vibes -- with better feet. I still don't know if that's a good thing. I like play controlling, cerebral centers.....but over the years I've been burned by guys who need less composure and more urgency. I still like him though in that high floor/mid ceiling range
Yeah I took him at 17 in our mock for a lot of those reasons. @landsbergfan took McTavish the pick before me and left me with a board with a clear dropoff in talent. No Russia prospect is really "safe" but he just checks a lot of boxes. Nice sized, two-way center, with plus vision and passing skills and who likes to carry the puck in transition. Might be the best defensive center in the draft. Seems like he has a reasonable chance at being a solid middle 6 center with much more upside than that. Maybe like Lundell from last draft.

Pinelli: hard to get a read on his offensive skills. Definitely an NHL athletic profile, strong u18 numbers but I can't comment on them. Flashes but I'm just not sure -- wasn't on the puck enough in the game I saw
He beat up on the competition during group play and also got benched during the tournament, but I think he's probably the OHL guy I'd bet on making a big leap next year outside of the top guys.

Bolduc/L'Heureux: just too bland for me as 1sts. At least L'Heureux played with some pace and a plan and has NHL potential. Bolduc just looked slow and confused in the IQ department
Heard some of the same complaints about Bolduc but I haven't seen him play since last year. His ES numbers are fantastic though even while shooting 8%. 8% seems to be on the unlucky side but I read he takes a lot of low percentage shots so that may be a product of that.

If you're studying up on RHD...Scott Morrow, Corson Ceulemans, Brent Johnson were taken in our draft so far. Morrow and Ceulemans could be trade back options. Morrow looks like McAvoy at the Prep level, but didn't score in his USHL cameo. Older Prep players without high end exposure is the JOB bucket. I'm cooler on Ceulemans, but he's fine. Does a little bit of everything. I really liked what I saw from Johnson and his numbers are awesome. Probably Morrow, Johnson, Ceulemans for me right now.

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If you're studying up on RHD...Scott Morrow, Corson Ceulemans, Brent Johnson were taken in our draft so far. Morrow and Ceulemans could be trade back options. Morrow looks like McAvoy at the Prep level, but didn't score in his USHL cameo. Older Prep players without high end exposure is the JOB bucket. I'm cooler on Ceulemans, but he's fine. Does a little bit of everything. I really liked what I saw from Johnson and his numbers are awesome. Probably Morrow, Johnson, Ceulemans for me right now.

I started to watch a game of Morrow before I was like, “Yup, not in the mood for high school hockey.” I will give him a real watch soon. Likewise, I watched Johnson for like 5 minutes before getting sidetracked. In vaguest of passing, I thought he pressured well, seemed quite intelligent. While he had quick feet, I couldn’t help but notice immediately that for a smaller dude his north-south skating may have been a bit flat. I’ll give him an honest watch too though. He’s probably more a 2-3 rounder though, yeah?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Heimosalmi: fantastic RH puck mover and poised in tight spaces, great stick and positioning, do wish his skating had more oomph because it's a little average in the stride department. I know he was very good at the u18s too. Maybe a trade down guy?
Big fan. His footwork is awesome. He can really handle the puck. Feels more like a skilled puckmover than PP staple, but he has a chance to play on an NHL PP. Production has just been OK outside of the WJCs, but...

upload_2021-6-8_8-50-8.png

The company is pretty good.

https://twitter.com/JaredBrownn97/status/1386783954548756480?s=20

He’s probably more a 2-3 rounder though, yeah?
Yeah feels that way.

Last edited:

pooch

May 30, 2017
Big fan. His footwork is awesome. He can really handle the puck. Feels more like a skilled puckmover than PP staple, but he has a chance to play on an NHL PP. Production has just been OK outside of the WJCs, but...

View attachment 444934

Yeah feels that way.

He looks very intriguing, but since he's from Finland, he wont be on the Flyers radar? Why don't they like that country? I think one of the top 2 picks, assuming we keep them both, has to be a RD.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey

View attachment 444934

Yeah feels that way.

glad you post this, these are types of players they need to be targeting in their draft skating, skating, skating, and skating again. The flyers as a whole are too slow don’t have time to move the puck or transition due to lack of speed and skill. Watch the playoffs and you see none of those teams in the playoffs are slow or a bad skating team.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad