Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My impression from reading is that it is more "mysterious" than "bad" because of the lack of viewings.

You’re more advanced players in the class don’t really have the ceilings you’d like. Beniers is probably a #1-2 player in this draft. Maybe he’s like a Jonathan Toews type if everything pans out.

But as we’ve seen with other guys with a lower ceiling like that compared to other top picks in other years. You start falling short of even that ceiling & going down tiers, you can get a disappointing pick.

The top of the draft generally defines that draft as that’s at least your more clear players come draft day since they’re the most advanced. So guys like Beniers & Power are probably your #1-2 in some order. That’s not really that enticing of a top. But that’s not to say others like say a Luke Hughes or Kent Johnson who are less advanced then those two could become better players down the line.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It would be interesting to see Jack Han's evaluation of his skating. Everything else looks great.
I think it's awkward more than anything. He looks off balance a lot. He has a narrow lower half. I'm guessing it's likely a strength issue. When he has to change directions in his back skate, it looks like he has no power to push off and redirect. You can kind of see when he's defending entries he glides to cut them off rather than making an explosive maneuver. But then when he's moving forward as a puck carrier he'll hit defenders with a crazy 45 degree cut to create space and you're right back on board. It's going to take some time to come so no one should expect him to be in the NHL next year.

His skating style reminds me a bit of Karlsson whenever he's nursing a leg injury. You can tell he's at a disadvantage, but he's so skilled, and smart, and savvy he still finds a way to make an impact.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have only recently started to get serious about the draft, once it became really obvious the Flyers weren't making the playoffs and I was able to lock in on a range to pick from. So far, I have to say, there are a few players that I am salivating over, despite what is being said about this draft. Berniers, if he reaches Jonathan Toews level, he would be an excellent number 1 pick. I do see a guy whose floor is a good 2C, but ceiling is a solid 1C. Again, if he is Toews, he is probably the number 1 guy. If he falls short of that, he is still worth a top 10 pick almost any year.

William Eklund is a fascinating player. I think he looks better than Lucas Raymond (4th last year) and Alexander Holtz (7th last year). I have him in my top 3 (which would put him no worse that 4th last year in a good draft).

Brandt Clarke remains the apple of my eye this year for the Flyers. I think he is a legit number 1 defenseman, which would make him top 5 in most drafts.

Dylan Guenther sure looks like a first line scoring RW with a (much?) higher upside than Travis Koneckny, I like him in my top 5.

Luke Hughes skates like a Hughes, and is 6'2. He has first pairing defender written all over him in this age where offensive defensemen are thought so highly of.

Owen Power at 6'6 and a very strong skater with offensive skills is also a highly desirably commodity. I like size, but am a little leery of going with a 6'6 guy as some here have pointed out the limited number of success stories with these guys. Power is intriging though.

As of today, if I am CF, I rank them, Clarke, Eklund, Berniers, Guenther, Hughes, and Power. Tomorrow I might go Clarke, Berniers, Eklund, Hughes, Guenther, Power, and the next day, Clarke, Eklund, Berniers, Power, Hughes, Guenther. The top 6 are those guys for me right now. I could be happy to land any of them this year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have only recently started to get serious about the draft, once it became really obvious the Flyers weren't making the playoffs and I was able to lock in on a range to pick from. So far, I have to say, there are a few players that I am salivating over, despite what is being said about this draft. Berniers, if he reaches Jonathan Toews level, he would be an excellent number 1 pick. I do see a guy whose floor is a good 2C, but ceiling is a solid 1C. Again, if he is Toews, he is probably the number 1 guy. If he falls short of that, he is still worth a top 10 pick almost any year.

William Eklund is a fascinating player. I think he looks better than Lucas Raymond (4th last year) and Alexander Holtz (7th last year). I have him in my top 3 (which would put him no worse that 4th last year in a good draft).

Brandt Clarke remains the apple of my eye this year for the Flyers. I think he is a legit number 1 defenseman, which would make him top 5 in most drafts.

Dylan Guenther sure looks like a first line scoring RW with a (much?) higher upside than Travis Koneckny, I like him in my top 5.

Luke Hughes skates like a Hughes, and is 6'2. He has first pairing defender written all over him in this age where offensive defensemen are thought so highly of.

Owen Power at 6'6 and a very strong skater with offensive skills is also a highly desirably commodity. I like size, but am a little leery of going with a 6'6 guy as some here have pointed out the limited number of success stories with these guys. Power is intriging though.

As of today, if I am CF, I rank them, Clarke, Eklund, Berniers, Guenther, Hughes, and Power. Tomorrow I might go Clarke, Berniers, Eklund, Hughes, Guenther, Power, and the next day, Clarke, Eklund, Berniers, Power, Hughes, Guenther. The top 6 are those guys for me right now. I could be happy to land any of them this year.

You don't like Edvinsson?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Lysell, Johnson, Silinger, Mctavish and Lucius are guys we need to keep an eye on. They’ll be in and around our range

Last edited:

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Wouldn't the Gold Plan be nice right about now:
From the Athetic DGB weekend rankings: Predators clinch, Connor McDavid shines, John Tortorella exits and James Dolan Dolans
  1. Devils: 5-5-1, 11 points and one game left to play
  2. Blue Jackets: 3-1-3, 9 points
  3. Sabres: 4-8-0, 8 points
  4. Senators: 3-1-0, 6 points and one game left
  5. Ducks: 2-2-2, 6 points
  6. Red Wings: 2-2-2, 6 points
  7. Flyers: 2-2-1, 5 points and one game left

The Gold Plan explained: Down Goes Brown: Could the 'Gold Plan' eliminate tanking? - Sportsnet.ca

With a Flyers win and a Sens loss, the Flyers would have the #4 pick in the draft.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Wouldn't the Gold Plan be nice right about now:
From the Athetic DGB weekend rankings: Predators clinch, Connor McDavid shines, John Tortorella exits and James Dolan Dolans
  1. Devils: 5-5-1, 11 points and one game left to play
  2. Blue Jackets: 3-1-3, 9 points
  3. Sabres: 4-8-0, 8 points
  4. Senators: 3-1-0, 6 points and one game left
  5. Ducks: 2-2-2, 6 points
  6. Red Wings: 2-2-2, 6 points
  7. Flyers: 2-2-1, 5 points and one game left

The Gold Plan explained: Down Goes Brown: Could the 'Gold Plan' eliminate tanking? - Sportsnet.ca

With a Flyers win and a Sens loss, the Flyers would have the #4 pick in the draft.

There's nothing wrong with the current system, except maybe the worst teams' odds are too low. The goal is parity, not safeguarding against tanking like it's the Devil. That "Gold Plan" is stupid.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's nothing wrong with the current system, except maybe the worst teams' odds are too low. The goal is parity, not safeguarding against tanking like it's the Devil. That "Gold Plan" is stupid.

Not that I think “tanking” is an issue but at the same time I wouldn’t necessarily hate something like that either. Incentivize winning so I & others don’t have to sit here around this time wishing my favorite team losses for the sake of draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->