GDT: 2021 NHL Draft Thread - Part II

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Since Grushnikov is commited to playing in the OHL there's a good chance he's going to show up in prospect camp . One of the beat writers has got to ask him about that .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
U-20 wjc is gonna be fun to watch in 2 years . We could end up having like 7 players in it .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
U-20 wjc is gonna be fun to watch in 2 years . We could end up having like 7 players in it .

That would be fun, seems like we haven't had a lot of prospects playing in international tournaments as of late. There is a under 20 showcase going on right now but I think Ljungman is our only prospect in it so not really bothering to watch.

Reactions: Bfantz

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, I hadn't watched the rest of the video before I posted, but I hope someday we get a story out of Grushnikov.

I'm not sure what to make of that Justin Ertel quote, but if you want to throw him a bone, do it in the 7th, apparently no one even knows who he is. It'll be one of those draft day mysteries, unless someone asks McDonnell if he expected someone else to take him. I'd love to know if it was the most off the board board pick of the draft.

That's not true. Lots of people knew who he was, he was ranked 150 by NHL Central Scouting, lots of people had him as a dark horse.

Saying "throw him a bone in the 7th" is pretty bad assessment of what happened here. This wasn't a feel-good pick like Jermaine Loewen or the Makar brother yesterday.

Reactions: webby72

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Dallas Stars: A-

Picks: Wyatt Johnston, Logan Stankovan, Artem Grushnikov, Ayrton Martino, Justin Ertel, Conner Roulette, Jack Bar, Jacob Holmes, Francesco Arcuri, Albert Sjoberg
Value: Jack Bar
The Stars made a number of good picks. The only reason they get an A- instead of a higher grade is the lack of a true blue-chip, top-10 talent. However, this draft brings a ton of very good talent to the system. Johnston has a solid two-way game and a very high work ethic. Stankovan is a bit undersized but has high-end offensive skills. Grushnikov is very good defensively. He reads the opponent extremely well and has a knack for breaking up plays in the neutral zone with a quick poke check or by stepping up with a hit.

2021 NHL Draft Grades - Last Word On Sports Part 2

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That's not true. Lots of people knew who he was, he was ranked 150 by NHL Central Scouting, lots of people had him as a dark horse.

Saying "throw him a bone in the 7th" is pretty bad assessment of what happened here. This wasn't a feel-good pick like Jermaine Loewen or the Makar brother yesterday.

I mean, I hope you're right, but saying he's 150 is misleading. He's the 150th NA skater, that counts zero European players. Even if you assume that there are only half as many Euros in front of him, that puts him in the 7th round (actually top of the 8th round). It's not really fair to judge where a player is drafted on a metric like that entirely, but he's an eyebrow raiser, especially with the personal connection.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, I hope you're right, but saying he's 150 is misleading. He's the 150th NA skater, that counts zero European players. Even if you assume that there are only half as many Euros in front of him, that puts him in the 7th round (actually top of the 8th round). It's not really fair to judge where a player is drafted on a metric like that entirely, but he's an eyebrow raiser, especially with the personal connection.

Wasn't meant to say he should be around the 150 mark, just that he is on the radar of the professional scouting services. It wasn't a true no-namer that no one has heard of before.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
It was hyperbolic of me to say that, but he's obscure as hell. Maybe it just means we were one of the few teams to see him and they loved him so much they couldn't risk losing him, but McDonell leading with 'I know his family' is not a great look. He probably rarely talks to the media, so he can be forgiven, but I'll be looking forward to hearing about the reasoning for the pick in more depth.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was hyperbolic of me to say that, but he's obscure as hell. Maybe it just means we were one of the few teams to see him and they loved him so much they couldn't risk losing him, but McDonell leading with 'I know his family' is not a great look. He probably rarely talks to the media, so he can be forgiven, but I'll be looking forward to hearing about the reasoning for the pick in more depth.

He would've been captain of the St.Andrews College prep-team if that team had played . Since it didn't he went to scramble to find a league to play in at all.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
My only worry about this draft is that Lucius will make us regret trading down and not taking him .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
My only worry about this draft is that Lucius will make us regret trading down and not taking him .

Just for fun ...

Not in terms of style but in terms of impact, Lucius becomes Barzal.

Stankoven has a similar impact as Hintz. Johnston is a more consistent offensively Faksa or better overall Gurianov.

Are you happy?

Reactions: NoCogs2020

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Just for fun ...

Stankoven has a similar impact as Hintz. Johnston is a more consistent offensively Faksa or better overall Gurianov.

Are you happy?
Idk that’s a hard one to answer lol

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Just for fun ...

Are you happy?

Much as I hate player comparables, Lucius is definitely the next Corey Perry. Stankoven becomes the next Marchessault, while Johnston becomes pre-concussion Wennberg.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'll play. I'd take the Matthew Barzal level impact

Getting a guy who is a elite player at 20 is better than the longer more gradual development paths of Hintz and "consistent Faksa". Then, when you eventually have to pay the players, I'd rather lock up the one elite asset long term and find a cheaper UFA to supplement rather than pay both Hintz + Faksa.

The saying "whoever gets the better player wins the trade" applies here in a roundabout way.

Having said that. That's not how I view trading down in this situation. The Matthew Barzal level talents where off the board in the top 10, after that it's just about getting more lottery tickets and improving your odds. Which Nill did, so awesome job in that respect.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
After watching some more video of Johnston he’s giving me some serious Mitch marner vibes . Don’t know why he’s got the bottom 6 fwd tag from scouts .

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
After watching some more video of Johnston he’s giving me some serious Mitch marner vibes . Don’t know why he’s got the bottom 6 fwd tag from scouts .
I'm guessing because he only played 7 games as a bottom 6 forward this year? I'll admit to not really having watched him at all, but at the draft they were talking about his story and he seemed more of a top 6 guy, but played bottom 6 effectively when asked. Then all the scouts saying bottom 6? Idk.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Can you share the vid link(s)
I haven’t been able to find much just what you’ve probably seen on YouTube . Pretty much just Canadian U18 highlights . Watched his u18 shift by shift game against Swiss couple times .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I haven’t been able to find much just what you’ve probably seen on YouTube . Pretty much just Canadian U18 highlights . Watched his u18 shift by shift game against Swiss couple times .

I watched the same video. Was nice since most of Johnston’s shifts he’s out there with Stankoven. Both look good

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Much as I hate player comparables, Lucius is definitely the next Corey Perry. Stankoven becomes the next Marchessault, while Johnston becomes pre-concussion Wennberg.

I wouldn't know who to compare them to so thank you.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

I assume that's just a style comparison and not a talent one for Lucius. I would think, considering how weak this draft is for high end players, that if anyone thought Lucius turning into Corey Perry was likely, he'd go top 3 guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->