GDT: 2021 NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
A little on Ertel too.

Watched him play his U16 season with Fantilli and Pinelli on a strong TRW team that lost in the OHL Cup Final. Competitive winger with offensive upside. Loves driving the net. Good offensive instincts. Skating good but not great. Will need to be upgraded. If hockey in Ontario would have happened this year, he would have captained the team at St. Andrew's College, which is a great prep school program before heading to Cornell next year. To give you some perspective, Ertel had 40 goals as a U17 player for them the year prior. That is a school record for a U17 player. His production as a U17 player in that loop was greater (actually much greater) than Warren Foegele and Cam Hillis.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
It wouldn't really happen with the Stars, but can you imagine the abuse that the Leafs or the Canadiens would get if they released their top 32?

Raty scored 4 goals today.

Only wish is we took the flyer on him after the stankoven pick

Are you nuts? It's bad enough we had to draft players that played hockey this year, but someone who played TODAY? Absolutely not, only non-playing hockey players for us.

(Please don't take this seriously, this is just a joke)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dallas Stars: B+

Dallas did a lot of things I liked this weekend. Wyatt Johnston could be a top-two-line center. I think Logan Stankoven is a good player, and Artem Grushnikov has the potential to be a good player. I liked some of the Stars’ mid-to-late-round picks in Ayrton Martino, Conner Roulette, Jack Bar and Albert Sjoberg; but Justin Ertel was high for me. I can see Dallas getting one really good player from this class, the possibility for two; and possibly two or three regular NHL players.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
So I was surprised to find this, but here is McDonnell talking about every player he drafted and what he liked about them. I had to stop to post this video because apparently according to him, Grushnikov played games under a fake identity this year, and so they did get to see some video. This is so f***ing incredible I can't make this shit up.

webby72

May 7, 2017

A buddy coached against the kid this year so I asked him his thoughts... paraphrasing - "18 years old, but was a MAN on the ice. Could be a good one but will needs couple years at school to develop. Explosive skater with a nose for the net. "
Not many on here may know the league, but I've see some, and there have been players that easily are QMJHL quality players. If Ertel chose Major Jr he would be known a lot more, but sounds like he just wanted to keep his US school eligibility with plans to attend Cornell. Kitchener , Ontario kid so he absolutely has been on some scouting radars for years - just went a different route than many who go to BCJHL instead when they want to go US College route.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So I was surprised to find this, but here is McDonnell talking about every player he drafted and what he liked about them. I had to stop to post this video because apparently according to him, Grushnikov played games under a fake identity this year, and so they did get to see some video. This is so f***ing incredible I can't make this shit up.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if that fake identity means they drafted the wrong guy?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Jerry Gallo?

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas

I need to know more.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Scott Wheeler also picked his winners and losers, and he basically liked all of our 2nd day picks, so we ended up in the winner column, only one of three teams to do so. Just gonna post this first snippet of his bit on us:

It’s funny, I would have been a little kinder to the Stars on Friday had they taken Logan Stankoven with their first-round pick and Wyatt Johnston with their second-rounder. If these were their first two targets (we don’t know that they were), though, then it might be a sleuth bit of work because Stankoven was always more likely to linger than Johnston. I still think they’d have been better off taking a player whose ceiling projects a little higher than Johnston’s in the first, while still drafting Stankoven with their second, but he was my third-best player available with their first second-round pick (he ranked 29 spots higher on my board at No. 18 than where they nabbed him).

He didn't like the Grushnikov pick in that range, but he liked everything else.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Had to bounce for a bit a little after the 3rd round but tried to keep up on Twitter

Pretty thrilled with the Jack Bar pick, definitely didn’t anticipate him being in our wheelhouse. Chicago Steel have a lot of talent going through there.

Also like the Conner Roulette pick a lot

Stankoven, Martino, Bar made this a nicer draft

Jury out on Johnston and Grushnikov but I’m eager to see a full season from both to paint a full picture.

CBJ put on a clinic tho

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Two hilarious things from that video.

1. Grushnikov playing in Belarus under a fake identity sounds like a story out of the 80s/90s USSR.
2. Of course Joe McDonnell has a personal relationship with Ertel and his family.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Two hilarious things from that video.

1. Grushnikov playing in Belarus under a fake identity sounds like a story out of the 80s/90s USSR.
2. Of course Joe McDonnell has a personal relationship with Ertel and his family.

Yeah, I hadn't watched the rest of the video before I posted, but I hope someday we get a story out of Grushnikov.

I'm not sure what to make of that Justin Ertel quote, but if you want to throw him a bone, do it in the 7th, apparently no one even knows who he is. It'll be one of those draft day mysteries, unless someone asks McDonnell if he expected someone else to take him. I'd love to know if it was the most off the board board pick of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad