2021 NHL Draft Thread II (R1 July 23rd (ESPN2) 8 PM EST; R2-7 July 24th (NHLN) 12PM EST)

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I don’t think that solves any long term issue. You’ll inevitable lose 1 or both as a UFA next year. Outside of Tarasov we literally have nobody else in the pipeline except Cam Johnson.

Drafting a goalie this year wouldn't have solved the problem either - anyone you draft now isn't going to be able to come in as a back up next year if disaster strikes and both Elvis and Korpi go.

I never thought Kivi would get taken by Seattle (I could have been wrong of course and we'll sadly never know) and if you make that presumption, trading one of the NHL guys made sense. Having two goalies of their caliber at this time was a bit of a luxury, and a distraction IMO. Kivi made it possible to trade one. With him gone, a trade wasn't really in the cards - you'd trade one and then have to go get his replacement. What would be the point?

I think they'll invite a few undrafted and/or overage FA goalies to prospect camp and end up signing one. That'll be this year's "drafted" goalie. Also wouldn't surprise me if they swing a trade involving a prospect goalie from another team for one of our mid-range prospects like Sherwood.

Reactions: CPTN71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have no problem with adding a fire hydrant to the lineup.

It's just amazing how little info and video there is coming out of the AHL these days. We know everything about a million different prospects but things seem to go dark in Cleveland.
Yeah for sure, I tried looking up other AHL prospects and for some you can find hours of shift by shift videos then look up the next prospect and there is absolutely nothing. You really would expect a league like that would atleast have something for legit NHL prospects at the very least

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah for sure, I tried looking up other AHL prospects and for some you can find hours of shift by shift videos then look up the next prospect and there is absolutely nothing. You really would expect a league like that would atleast have something for legit NHL prospects at the very least

Some kind of streaming option with 21st century camera technology, that would be great. The AHL looks like it got lost in time in the Bush Presidency (the first one).

Reactions: ClevelandJacketFan

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Columbus Blue Jackets: A-
I really liked Columbus’ weekend. I think Kent Johnson is a big-time talent. I think Cole Sillinger and Corson Ceulemans can play high in a lineup. Stanislav Svozil or Guillaume Richard could become a third-pair defenseman, and some of the Blue Jackets’ later-round players have a chance. I could reasonably envision Columbus getting two or three good players, and three or four players who really play games. That’s an important draft for the Blue Jackets.

NHL Draft grades 2021: Corey Pronman evaluates every pick by all 32 teams

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Drafting a goalie this year wouldn't have solved the problem either - anyone you draft now isn't going to be able to come in as a back up next year if disaster strikes and both Elvis and Korpi go.

I never thought Kivi would get taken by Seattle (I could have been wrong of course and we'll sadly never know) and if you make that presumption, trading one of the NHL guys made sense. Having two goalies of their caliber at this time was a bit of a luxury, and a distraction IMO. Kivi made it possible to trade one. With him gone, a trade wasn't really in the cards - you'd trade one and then have to go get his replacement. What would be the point?

I think they'll invite a few undrafted and/or overage FA goalies to prospect camp and end up signing one. That'll be this year's "drafted" goalie. Also wouldn't surprise me if they swing a trade involving a prospect goalie from another team for one of our mid-range prospects like Sherwood.
Which is why I’m surprised they won’t just make a choice. If we need goalie depth there are options available for the NHL and AHL level. I just can’t grasp how the lack of a 3rd option is preventing them from making a choice.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Portzline tweeted that the death of Kivi has changed their thinking and it's likely they'll now keep Elvis and Korpi unless they get a good offer.

A) sign a cheap backup vet if you're not confident in Tarasov as a backup
B) what does that have to do with not drafting a single goalie the last three years?

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I liked our draft overall but think it was a mistake to not take a goalie.

They can still sign undrafted goalie prospects if they want to, that or trade for a drafted goalie.

Draft picks aren't all interchangeable. You can't just "take a goalie" like you're buying a commodity. Your goalie scouts have to be excited about a guy and you have to like him more than a skater at that draft location.

Which is why I’m surprised they won’t just make a choice. If we need goalie depth there are options available for the NHL and AHL level. I just can’t grasp how the lack of a 3rd option is preventing them from making a choice.

You're right it is probably more than just that. They're probably also looking at the non-existent goalie market (Ned for almost free?) and thinking they like the guys they have.

Also another thought - why bother having a goalie pipeline, two goalie coaches and a goalie scout, if you can just get a fully developed guy like Ned for almost free?

Reactions: Viqsi

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Foudy is going to be a third liner on this team, we are in trouble. He has shown no offensive upside at all. Even Bemstrum has shown more potential than him. And if a first round forward has made no impact after three years, it was probably a mistake to take that player in the first round.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Foudy is going to be a third liner on this team, we are in trouble. He has shown no offensive upside at all. Even Bemstrum has shown more potential than him. And if a first round forward has made no impact after three years, it was probably a mistake to take that player in the first round.

Three years? No most players in the 1st round haven't done jack shit within three years. That's way too early. Check in five years, not three.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For the 3rd straight draft the Jackets have avoided drafting a goalie, and the last one we drafted was Veini Vehvilainen in 2018 who obviously isn't here anymore.

The goalie prospect cupboard is completely bare, only sporting Daniil Tarasov who is making the jump to the AHL this year and will likely be the backup in the NHL in a year or so if all goes well. I get you can't just pick a position and you have to go with your scouts, but not picking a goalie this year was surprising. I'm not even talking about picking one high, just picking one to see what happens in their development is a smart move. We turned Anton Forsberg, a 7th rounder, into a decent journeyman goalie and was at one time a top prospect for us. I think it was a mistake not picking one this year, especially since we opted to take a goon in the 6th (Boyd). Vehvilainen was a 6th and he turned into one of our top prospects at one time as well. That 6th rounder would have been a decent spot to take a chance on a developing goalie IMO, but I guess we'll see what happens.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the 3rd straight draft the Jackets have avoided drafting a goalie, and the last one we drafted was Veini Vehvilainen in 2018 who obviously isn't here anymore.

The goalie prospect cupboard is completely bare, only sporting Daniil Tarasov who is making the jump to the AHL this year and will likely be the backup in the NHL in a year or so if all goes well. I get you can't just pick a position and you have to go with your scouts, but not picking a goalie this year was surprising. I'm not even talking about picking one high, just picking one to see what happens in their development is a smart move. We turned Anton Forsberg, a 7th rounder, into a decent journeyman goalie and was at one time a top prospect for us. I think it was a mistake not picking one this year, especially since we opted to take a goon in the 6th (Boyd). Vehvilainen was a 6th and he turned into one of our top prospects at one time as well. That 6th rounder would have been a decent spot to take a chance on a developing goalie IMO, but I guess we'll see what happens.

It's not a mistake to pass on them if our goalie scouts aren't super interested in us selecting them. It's not like buying a commodity, you have to really be excited by the individual prospect.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don’t think that solves any long term issue. You’ll inevitable lose 1 or both as a UFA next year. Outside of Tarasov we literally have nobody else in the pipeline except Cam Johnson.

There is time. Inevitably a contender’s starter will go down with injury and they will knock on CBJ door. Get some picks and a goalie prospect in return. But I’m fine starting the season with both.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I’ll chime in on Malatesta… known him since he’s was 12, never got to coach him but went against him.

I think he fell far, he could be a steal. He’s always had a cannon of a shot, needs to be more accurate and improve his shot selection, he’s not always making the right decisions with the puck. He’s a nasty player though, mean streak and ridiculously strong, it’s just natural I’d argue he’s physically ready now. I don’t see many flaws in his game and I think he’s a 1-4 guy, but will have to make some areas of his game into elite aspects, he’s good at everything else minus the hockey sense, it’s ok. He’s a strong fast player, he could use that more often to beat defenders but the Q is a soft league… can be meaner in the corners but might get penalized for it because we’ll he’s stronger.

I don’t see him not playing in the NHL, he’s a hard worker from a good family, he would have been a higher Q pick but the parents wanted him in college and he convinced them to let his take this route. I think he needs to improve his shot selection and accuracy, will be the difference between 4th line and 2nd line, other than that I have no qualms about him. Should have gone higher; he’s very confident in himself and his game and he might seem cocky but he’s not. If he can become elite in one area he’s going to have a long career, if he had more accuracy on that shot I’d say he could one day score 40, it’s actually stupid scary and it’s heavy I’ve seen him overpower goalies so many times. It’s not even like he’s jacked he’s just naturally strong with room to grow, not convinced he’s hit puberty and he might grow, tall family. I’m bad at comparisons but rich man’s Kassian with more speed, skill but not a big ? Like I said needs to become elite in some areas. Overall well rounded and plays a good game, I’m convinced he plays someday.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ll chime in on Malatesta… known him since he’s was 12, never got to coach him but went against him.

I think he fell far, he could be a steal. He’s always had a cannon of a shot, needs to be more accurate and improve his shot selection, he’s not always making the right decisions with the puck. He’s a nasty player though, mean streak and ridiculously strong, it’s just natural I’d argue he’s physically ready now. I don’t see many flaws in his game and I think he’s a 1-4 guy, but will have to make some areas of his game into elite aspects, he’s good at everything else minus the hockey sense, it’s ok. He’s a strong fast player, he could use that more often to beat defenders but the Q is a soft league… can be meaner in the corners but might get penalized for it because we’ll he’s stronger.

I don’t see him not playing in the NHL, he’s a hard worker from a good family, he would have been a higher Q pick but the parents wanted him in college and he convinced them to let his take this route. I think he needs to improve his shot selection and accuracy, will be the difference between 4th line and 2nd line, other than that I have no qualms about him. Should have gone higher; he’s very confident in himself and his game and he might seem cocky but he’s not. If he can become elite in one area he’s going to have a long career, if he had more accuracy on that shot I’d say he could one day score 40, it’s actually stupid scary and it’s heavy I’ve seen him overpower goalies so many times. It’s not even like he’s jacked he’s just naturally strong with room to grow, not convinced he’s hit puberty and he might grow, tall family. I’m bad at comparisons but rich man’s Kassian with more speed, skill but not a big ? Like I said needs to become elite in some areas. Overall well rounded and plays a good game, I’m convinced he plays someday.

He's listed as 5'9 179 lbs so I don't buy the idea that he has room to grow. 18 year olds almost never (<1%) grow more than an inch.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
And if a first round forward has made no impact after three years, it was probably a mistake to take that player in the first round.
Have you even looked at that draft? It wasn't great first of all. Second of all, the 5 forwards selected after Foudy in the first round have combined for 83 games and 17 points. 71/83 games were Isac Lundestrom and he accounted for 15/17 points. I liked him and would have been happy with his selection, but he's a third liner as well.

You're just being obtuse.

Reactions: LJ7201

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Re: goalies. I did some very minor poking around, and it looks like there are a number of options who showed up in previews, mocks etc. but were not selected. Some options the CBJ could sign:
Owen Bartoszkiewicz
Yegor Gusov
Matej Marinov
Cameron Rowe
Tomas Suchanek
Zahkar Vinogradov

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

We really don't need to take a goalie when we have one of the best goalie prospects in the league in Tarasov and two really good young goalies in Korpi and Merzly. Backups are dime a dozen, this team needs scoring and defense. I have no issues with not taking a goalie just to take a goalie.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We really don't need to take a goalie when we have one of the best goalie prospects in the league in Tarasov and two really good young goalies in Korpi and Merzly. Backups are dime a dozen, this team needs scoring and defense. I have no issues with not taking a goalie just to take a goalie.

It’s never a bad idea to take a goalie for your pipeline. It may not be a need but that doesn’t mean you let it become one.

Elvis and korpi are UFAs after this year. And I don’t think it’s very likely at all, but what if both say no? Then we’re in deep trouble. Even for a rebuilding team.

It’s not a major issue because we do have Tarasov, but it is something to watch imo. Maybe we can entice an undrafted college or European goalie to sign with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad