2021 NHL Draft Thread II (R1 July 23rd (ESPN2) 8 PM EST; R2-7 July 24th (NHLN) 12PM EST)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah. I’m starting to think McT is the pick if there. If he’s rapidly climbing draft charts that sounds like a jarmo pick

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah. I’m starting to think McT is the pick if there. If he’s rapidly climbing draft charts that sounds like a jarmo pick
Nah, I think Eklund or Edvinsson, maybe Guenther, as he’s the only prospect I’ve heard say he’s met with #cbj twice ….

will be interesting for sure

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Eklund has the skills this team needs and is more the type of player Jarmo has been drafting lately. That said even if he says hes not, I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see him draft for positional need and take the center.
Eklund is probably gone at our pick anyway so its probably between McTavish and Geunther

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Big no on Mctavish... Boone can play that role, especially now that Torts is gone. Not the shooter that Mctavish is, but plenty big enough to be playing in front of the net, playing down deep on the wall, and I would expect Larsen to allow him to play more of his offensive game. Jackets need playmakers . Currently we have 1 player (assuming Domi is picked up) that can skate the puck up the ice with regularity . One player that is quick and elusive enough to create time and space, for snipers like Laine, Bjorkstrand, Chinakov, and possibly Bemstrom to get their shots off. So if we go offense, which I'm starting to doubt... Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, and then Mctavish. Mckenzie quotes scouts that say Johnson has absolutely the highest ceiling of an offensive player in this draft. Doesnt do alot of good to have all the snipers we have, and not have players that can create passing lanes, so they can get their shots off. Mctavish to me, feels more of the same Bluejacket hockey... we wont be overly skilled, but we will work hard.. just my 2 cents

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I voted no because he is younger Boone Jenner and no better than a 2nd line. We need to recreate a Panarin type player who can skate the puck in and out of the zone and find the open shooters. Here is my top ten but I would trade down if Beniers or Eklund aren’t available

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Eklund
4. Edvinson
5. Sillinger
6. Johnson
7. McTavish
8. Cossa
9. Guenther
10. Hughes

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Jesper Wallstedt. This draft isn`t too strong and Jesper could be our Vasilevsky. Andrei was drafted in draft where:

1. Nail Yakupov
2. Ryan Murray (true he has had problems because of injuries)
3. Alex Galchenyuk

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2012

Jarmo should be fired if he takes a goalie at #5. We have one of the worst farm systems in the league and to not add a highly skilled SKATER with that pick would be an astronomic failure.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jarmo should be fired if he takes a goalie at #5. We have one of the worst farm systems in the league and to not add a highly skilled SKATER with that pick would be an astronomic failure.
Are they boys highly skilled SKATER? Btw tell it Tampa... ;)

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I get the impression that that's his floor, and his ceiling is considerably higher. Like, think 30-goal Boone, but every year.

Yep - from floor 3 to maybe floor 2. If we pick him I hope all of us doubters are wrong, but I really don’t see him as our future number 1.

Reactions: Fro

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
upload_2021-7-19_21-21-51.png

I wouldn’t mind if this happened

Reactions: LJ7201

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yep - from floor 3 to maybe floor 2. If we pick him I hope all of us doubters are wrong, but I really don’t see him as our future number 1.
I don't think he needs to be. Honestly, my suspicion is that unless we're astronomically lucky/amazing at scouting and development, we're not going to get our future #1C in this draft at all. That quality of player doesn't seem to really reliably exist - if they did, there wouldn't be hesitation about who goes #1 overall. There's guys who might be, but most of them seem to be either "solid guys with high floors" like MacTavish or Beniers or even Powers, or "boom-or-bust, Extreme Edition" types like a Johnson or Edvinsson.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I keep seeing Raty at 24...he was the pick for 1oa like just a year ago...I expect someone to grab him by mid 1st...but seems like he would be worth a flyer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He sounds like a Boone clone, so no thanks the original is enough

I get the impression that that's his floor, and his ceiling is considerably higher. Like, think 30-goal Boone, but every year.

The comparison between Boone and McTavish is strictly skating and body type. Their hands are at opposite ends, Stone vs Silk, with McTavish having the better set, reminiscent of the white stick of nightmares.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I keep seeing Raty at 24...he was the pick for 1oa like just a year ago...I expect someone to grab him by mid 1st...but seems like he would be worth a flyer

I watched a game of his and I was surprised at how many bad plays he could cram into one game. So I watched another and he was just as bad. I just don't see how he makes the NHL unless there is some kind of brain growth spurt.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Big no on Mctavish... Boone can play that role, especially now that Torts is gone. Not the shooter that Mctavish is, but plenty big enough to be playing in front of the net, playing down deep on the wall, and I would expect Larsen to allow him to play more of his offensive game. Jackets need playmakers . Currently we have 1 player (assuming Domi is picked up) that can skate the puck up the ice with regularity . One player that is quick and elusive enough to create time and space, for snipers like Laine, Bjorkstrand, Chinakov, and possibly Bemstrom to get their shots off. So if we go offense, which I'm starting to doubt... Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, and then Mctavish. Mckenzie quotes scouts that say Johnson has absolutely the highest ceiling of an offensive player in this draft. Doesnt do alot of good to have all the snipers we have, and not have players that can create passing lanes, so they can get their shots off. Mctavish to me, feels more of the same Bluejacket hockey... we wont be overly skilled, but we will work hard.. just my 2 cents

I'm going to take a shot every time T5L hopefully says "especially now that Torts is gone". It's like he's already mentally upgraded every player on the roster.

As I noted above, McTavish hits like Boone and unfortunately doesn't skate any better, but the comparison doesn't run much further than that. Their hands are opposite in quality.

And for all we know he won't even be a Jacket in a year from now, and might be a pure 4th line guy in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->