2021 NHL Draft Thread: Brackett and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
beckman is a promising LW prospect in the system , who is a RW prospect a year or 2 away??? most would agree sokolov is only a longshot.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
beckman is a promising LW prospect in the system , who is a RW prospect a year or 2 away??? most would agree sokolov is only a longshot.

RWs in the system would include Mayhew, Lodnia, Duhaime, Bitten, Swaney, Sokoloff. Chaffee, and Novak.

Mayhew is obviously an AHL stud but hasn't done anything significant in the NHL, Lodnia couldn't cut the AHL last year and went back to juniors and did well, is doing okay in the KHL currently.

Duhaime, Bitten, Sokolov and Chaffee are all AHL-caliber players but haven't done enough to show they'll do anything in the NHL.

Swaney is at Duluth for NCAA but hasn't shown much growth in the three years he was there. Could obviously be a player, but his point totals have been 22/25/26 - not exactly a glowing history there.

The wildcard is Novak. Nearly PPG in the second tier Czech league, if the WJC goes he will likely be a leader on that team. Only a fifth rounder mostly due to physical size and lack of playing against good competition. The odds are against him but you never know.

We suddenly have a few C prospects as well, as they increase competition and climb we are bound to lose a few to the inevitable C-to-Wing transition so many suffer from. Who know which of those will end up being anything.

In short: we have NHL-level prospects in basically every position aside from RW. Its not ideal.

Reactions: BagHead

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
RWs in the system would include Mayhew, Lodnia, Duhaime, Bitten, Swaney, Sokoloff. Chaffee, and Novak.

Mayhew is obviously an AHL stud but hasn't done anything significant in the NHL, Lodnia couldn't cut the AHL last year and went back to juniors and did well, is doing okay in the KHL currently.

Duhaime, Bitten, Sokolov and Chaffee are all AHL-caliber players but haven't done enough to show they'll do anything in the NHL.

Swaney is at Duluth for NCAA but hasn't shown much growth in the three years he was there. Could obviously be a player, but his point totals have been 22/25/26 - not exactly a glowing history there.

The wildcard is Novak. Nearly PPG in the second tier Czech league, if the WJC goes he will likely be a leader on that team. Only a fifth rounder mostly due to physical size and lack of playing against good competition. The odds are against him but you never know.

We suddenly have a few C prospects as well, as they increase competition and climb we are bound to lose a few to the inevitable C-to-Wing transition so many suffer from. Who know which of those will end up being anything.

In short: we have NHL-level prospects in basically every position aside from RW. Its not ideal.

This was some good insight.

I feel pretty good about our overall depth in the system. Would feel even better if Fenton didn't totally throw a way an entire first round pick.

I really like the current team's draft strategy of quality > quantity.

It was nice to see them going after guys they were excited about with more potential rather than picking whoever would have fallen to them.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Its interesting to see Raty slide down the pre-draft rankings the way he has.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Its interesting to see Raty slide down the pre-draft rankings the way he has.

From what i understand, for the last few years he was above his peers. He has stagnated slightly/other prospects have caught up.

It doesn't seem like he is a bad prospect by any means, but just isn't obviously better than the other top guys anymore.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
In 2019, Vancouver apparently tried to trade up to 6th with Detroit to draft Zegras. I’m excited to see if Brackett will try to move around to get “his guy” and I think he will because he has already shown he’ll move up.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nope. BPA.

Eh, I mean if you say BPA - we should have taken Perfetti over Rossi (as Perfetti ended up being the 5th best player on the ranking vs Rossi being the 6th best). Hell, Lundell is the 3rd best player for International Skaters. And then you have Askarov.

BPA only works if you have multiple holes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Eh, I mean if you say BPA - we should have taken Perfetti over Rossi (as Perfetti ended up being the 5th best player on the ranking vs Rossi being the 6th best). Hell, Lundell is the 3rd best player for International Skaters. And then you have Askarov.

Someone should tell LA they should have taken Drysdale or Sanderson over Byfield then.

I'm disappointed that Beniers is having something of a coming out party at the moment. Was really hoping he'd fly under the radar until we picked him in 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

I have a feeling Rossi was bracketts guy whether we drafted where we sat or 1st overall

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

Lmfao. So you would’ve taken Byfield over Laf if we won the lottery since Center was a bigger need?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Lmfao. So you would’ve taken Byfield over Laf if we won the lottery since Center was a bigger need?

I'd probably try trading the 1st overall and see. But there is a huge difference between the top 3 picks and a top 10 pick.

Again, why didn't we take Perfetti or Askarov over Rossi? They are both ranked higher. Hell, I think even Lundell was ranked higher than Rossi.

Picking position isn't always necessarily narrowing in on one prospect and that's it. That's how you end up like Buffalo, but that doesn't mean ignoring weak positions either.

Around the 7-8 spot is where BPA and position need start to get fuzzy and that many times BPA is the position of need.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd probably try trading the 1st overall and see. But there is a huge difference between the top 3 picks and a top 10 pick.

Again, why didn't we take Perfetti or Askarov over Rossi? They are both ranked higher. Hell, I think even Lundell was ranked higher than Rossi.

Picking position isn't always necessarily narrowing in on one prospect and that's it. That's how you end up like Buffalo, but that doesn't mean ignoring weak positions either.

Around the 7-8 spot is where BPA and position need start to get fuzzy and that many times BPA is the position of need.

Are you sure about this? Most pre-draft rankings I saw had Rossi in the top 10, unlike these other guys.

Reactions: GuerinUp

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

Why do you think following BPA means we would have to pick a player that outsider rankings have ranked higher? I trust Brackett to pick the BPA and unless you know exactly what Bracketts rankings are your argument about “Perfetti is ranked higher than Rossi” doesn’t make any sense

Reactions: 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Are you sure about this? Most pre-draft rankings I saw had Rossi in the top 10, unlike these other guys.

2020 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Central Scouting had Perfetti over Rossi.

Back in March, Button had Perfetti over Rossi:

Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca

Bob McKenzie had Perfetti over Rossi:

Bob McKenzie's Final Ranking: Lafreniere the surest thing in most uncertain draft year - TSN.ca

Why do you think following BPA means we would have to pick a player that outsider rankings have ranked higher? I trust Brackett to pick the BPA and unless you know exactly what Bracketts rankings are your argument about “Perfetti is ranked higher than Rossi” doesn’t make any sense

We don't know what BPA is; but BPA could also include position of need in the fact. If they have Perfetti and Rossi equal, but Rossi plays a position of need, then he's probably going to take the guy at a position of need.

im pretty sure on most boards rossi "fell" to us

And most had Perfetti 'fall' to Winnipeg.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I do believe most draft boards had Perfetti ranked higher however, I do know most thought he would be a winger in the NHL vs being a center. In that case I’d argue Rossi would be the better center prospect and Perfetti you could say could be the better forward prospect.

We doNot know how Brackett’s draft board could’ve looked like. Rossi might of been his 4th highest player. Perfetti might of been his 9th.

personally I liked Rossi over Perfetti, but I was ecstatic both were available.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I do believe most draft boards had Perfetti ranked higher however, I do know most thought he would be a winger in the NHL vs being a center. In that case I’d argue Rossi would be the better center prospect and Perfetti you could say could be the better forward prospect.

We doNot know how Brackett’s draft board could’ve looked like. Rossi might of been his 4th highest player. Perfetti might of been his 9th.

personally I liked Rossi over Perfetti, but I was ecstatic both were available.

idk if id even go that far,

perfetti:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
rossi:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

same amount of points 15 less games played. Ya arguments could be made of intangibles, size, speed. Im guessing outside of the top two prospects there wasnt much difference between rankings in the top 10 though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We do know that teams make up their own list, and don't follow rankings posted on the internet, right?

My only regret with our 2020 draft is that Brackett couldn't somehow pull off a deal with FLA(Kunin+2nd/PIT 2021 1st?), allowing us to also get Lundell. Of course, that would've cost us ROR and Marat...still might've been good with that, but I like ROR a lot.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We do know that teams make up their own list, and don't follow rankings posted on the internet, right?

Yes, and we do know that position of need will sometimes elevate a prospect over another prospect?

My only regret with our 2020 draft is that Brackett couldn't somehow pull off a deal with FLA(Kunin+2nd/PIT 2021 1st?), allowing us to also get Lundell. Of course, that would've cost us ROR and Marat...still might've been good with that, but I like ROR a lot.

Brackett? Guerin is the GM, Brackett is the scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad