2021 NHL Draft Thread: Brackett and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like how some of the "center at all cost" crowd is starting to walk it back to "well, if the center is really a reach you probably take the other position"

Welcome to drafting BPA.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sillinger is ranked #20 by McKenzie (probably our range). Good WHL numbers in his D-1 year. Upper echelon in PPG in the USHL this year. 6'0" LH center.

What's his deal?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sillinger is ranked #20 by McKenzie (probably our range). Good WHL numbers in his D-1 year. Upper echelon in PPG in the USHL this year. 6'0" LH center.

What's his deal?

Skating needs improvement, perhaps to the point where it'll keep him from being a center at the NHL level

Can you link McKenzie's ratings?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No. I just noticed it on his Elite Prospects profile. I have idea when they're from, tbh.

Got it. Looks like this is the most recent list from McKenzie, and it has Sillinger at 20, so it checks out, but it's from December, so a lot could change. But yeah, as far as I've seen, skating seems to be the big knock on Sillinger. Good enough to be dangerous in the offensive zone with the rest of his abilities, but not good enough to be a threat in transition.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
But yeah, going back to my post that you quoted, I also wouldn't mind a high upside center in this draft either. I just also wouldn't mind a high upside LD as well, if the alternative is reaching for a center/forward. None of this is abnormal draft talk.

No, it isn't.

It depends on a reach though, and it again boils down to what Guerin and Brackett think is best. If they have a good explanation of picking a high end LD with the expectation that Suter or even Brodin is going to get moved sooner than later , I'd accept that. Like picking Svozil over Raty, and then moving Suter in two years, makes sense. Or if they consider Raty a high risk player and have him lower on the charts. But picking Svozil over Raty because the depth on the left side of the defense is questionable and then keeping Suter/Brodin for 4 years - that doesn't make any sense.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, it isn't.

It depends on a reach though, and it again boils down to what Guerin and Brackett think is best. If they have a good explanation of picking a high end LD with the expectation that Suter or even Brodin is going to get moved sooner than later , I'd accept that. Like picking Svozil over Raty, and then moving Suter in two years, makes sense. Or if they consider Raty a high risk player and have him lower on the charts. But picking Svozil over Raty because the depth on the left side of the defense is questionable and then keeping Suter/Brodin for 4 years - that doesn't make any sense.

DylpGUtWsAAxuFF.jpg

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, it isn't.

It depends on a reach though, and it again boils down to what Guerin and Brackett think is best. If they have a good explanation of picking a high end LD with the expectation that Suter or even Brodin is going to get moved sooner than later , I'd accept that. Like picking Svozil over Raty, and then moving Suter in two years, makes sense. Or if they consider Raty a high risk player.

Suter shouldn't enter their minds when it comes to deciding whether to draft a LHD in the 16-25 range this year.

We're talking about maybe 1 year of overlap, and if it's more than that, it probably means we got a damn good player at that spot, and Suter still shouldn't factor things.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We're talking about maybe 1 year of overlap, and if it's more than that, it probably means we got a damn good player at that spot, and Suter still shouldn't factor things.

Possibly; I mean they have Suter locked up for 4 more years, Brodin another 7. That's a long time, and you're pushing the development of a rookie in the mid-1st round until they are about 22-23 years old which is odd.

You look at defensemen taken in 2017: Cal Foote, Erik Brannstrom, Juuso Valimaki, Timothy Liljegren, Urho Vaakanainen, Pierre-Oliver Joseph, Henri Jokiharju have all played some games. Most of them broke in a year or two after drafted. That's the point of a 1st rounder; cheap contract and you want them to get time in the NHL and in the AHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Possibly; I mean they have Suter locked up for 4 more years, Brodin another 7. That's a long time, and you're pushing the development of a rookie in the mid-1st round until they are about 22-23 years old which is odd.

You look at defensemen taken in 2017: Cal Foote, Erik Brannstrom, Juuso Valimaki, Timothy Liljegren, Urho Vaakanainen, Pierre-Oliver Joseph, Henri Jokiharju have all played some games. Most of them broke in a year or two after drafted. That's the point of a 1st rounder; cheap contract and you want them to get time in the NHL and in the AHL.

Mid-to-late 1st.
21-22 years old.
It's not odd.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

What's his deal?
I like him. A lot of skill and compete, but there’s a fair amount of warts in his game. Skating a concern, but getting better

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Francesco Pinelli has moved to play pro hockey in Slovenia with the OHL shutdown. Haven’t seen him, but the reports on him are smart and skilled 2-way center. He should go in the 20-30 range so he’s gotta be on our radar.

Just watching his goals from last season, he looks to have a decent and heavy shot and you can see him flash some good skill with the puck.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
My 2 picks for the 1sts would be Wallstedt and Pinelli from the little web sleuthing I've done.

1. Wallstedt
1. Pinelli

Fill it out for me and visualize into reality :)

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Connor Bedard is doing some unheard of things right now. The 15 year old is leading the WHL in scoring and is only in the league because he gained exception-status from hockey Canada. He is pushing towards generational right now.

For reference, only 3 players in the last 20 years have been over 2ppg in the WHL in their draft season. Bedard might do it in his d-2 season. Putting McDavid’s exceptional season to shame right now, too.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Connor Bedard is doing some unheard of things right now. The 15 year old is leading the WHL in scoring and is only in the league because he gained exception-status from hockey Canada. He is pushing towards generational right now.

For reference, only 3 players in the last 20 years have been over 2ppg in the WHL in their draft season. Bedard might do it in his d-2 season. Putting McDavid’s exceptional season to shame right now, too.
He’s on IG now.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Francesco Pinelli has moved to play pro hockey in Slovenia with the OHL shutdown. Haven’t seen him, but the reports on him are smart and skilled 2-way center. He should go in the 20-30 range so he’s gotta be on our radar.

Just watching his goals from last season, he looks to have a decent and heavy shot and you can see him flash some good skill with the puck.

Posted on him back in February. I think he’s a good possibility.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The Biosteel all-American game is tomorrow night if you want to watch that with the Wild game. Mackie Samoskevich, Cole Sillinger, and others that could shape the face of the future Wild will be playing.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
I like how some of the "center at all cost" crowd is starting to walk it back to "well, if the center is really a reach you probably take the other position"

Welcome to drafting BPA.
unless guerin trades for one , im CENTER AT ALL COSTS in the draft actually both picks!

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
This is obviously subject to change and we’re due for the usual swoon

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I've been tracking draft rankings and we obviously won't know until Bobfather starts releasing his insight from speaking with teams, but there's going to be quite a few top level players that fall in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->