2021 NHL Draft Thread: Brackett and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Proposed changes would mean that NYR cannot win the lottery for the next 3 years

Seems like a change for the better. You don't want teams tanking every year, but you do want the worst teams to get better plays to pull themselves out of the basement with, because you want fans in each market to maintain interest in their team. Good business decision, and good for fans. Not necessarily good for playoff bubble teams like the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I read "blistering speed", "bread and butter is in the offensive zone", "natural C", and I was sold. My eyes glazed over everything else- for all I know he's done some hard time in Cook County jail. With the way things are going it looks less and less unlikely that we will be getting a lottery pick, so we have to be looking at players likely to be picked in the late teens/early 20's.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I just read "blistering speed", "bread and butter is in the offensive zone", "natural C", and I was sold. My eyes glazed over everything else- for all I know he's done some hard time. With the way things are going it looks less and less unlikely that we will be getting a lottery pick, so we have to be looking at players likely to be picked in the late teens/early 20's.
I would love to get him with a pick in the 20s. Most impressive skill set in the USHL I’ve seen this year, though Sillinger is close. The numbers don’t pop as much as you’d like, but I think that will allow him to go much lower than he should. He’s in the 12-15 range for me

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

MNWild14

Mar 5, 2021
Wonder if we take a shot at Kyle Kukkonen around round 6. Would be the first time we drafted a MNHS player since Jack Sadek. Interesting we've only ever drafted 9 MNHS players

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Man, I really hope that video is just a small sample size that is not indicative of his overall game, because that video did not leave me loving his game. It left me really liking parts of his game, and actively hating other parts. I love his physicality, his puck skill, his shooting, his occasional stretch passes, and offensive awareness. I hate the lack of effort he shows on defense, his sporadic effort on backchecks, and his zone exits while carrying the puck. He appears to give very few shits about playing defense. In fairness, he does seem to have good stick-work and anticipation in the defensive zone, when he's playing an engaged game. I don't like that he appears a bit hot-headed, which will lead to stupid penalties. It's good to be aggressive physically, it's bad to over-commit to it and let your emotions rule you. He looks like a selfish player, and I don't mean that in the good way. What I'm saying is that he looks like he's all piss and vinegar when he has a potential chance to score, and then turns into a fuzzy sloth when he doesn't. But he's not always that sloth, as he does have the occasional good shift in the d-zone! I think that's the most frustrating part of it. I would absolutely love this player if he showed consistent effort. He's like the anti-Rossi.

Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot as a prospect in some ways: amazing skill, stupid penalties, sporadic effort. If he doesn't improve his effort, I think he's got similar upside to what Pouliot became. I'd consider taking him with a late 1st at the earliest, and if this video is actually indicative of his overall play, I'd hold off until the 2nd. I know that's below where he's expected to go, but I don't care. His game leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it's my opinion. I leave my mind open to be changed in the future, since this was a small sample size and it's my only viewing of him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Man, I really hope that video is just a small sample size that is not indicative of his overall game, because that video did not leave me loving his game. It left me really liking parts of his game, and actively hating other parts. I love his physicality, his puck skill, his shooting, his occasional stretch passes, and offensive awareness. I hate the lack of effort he shows on defense, his sporadic effort on backchecks, and his zone exits while carrying the puck. He appears to give very few shits about playing defense. In fairness, he does seem to have good stick-work and anticipation in the defensive zone, when he's playing an engaged game. I don't like that he appears a bit hot-headed, which will lead to stupid penalties. It's good to be aggressive physically, it's bad to over-commit to it and let your emotions rule you. He looks like a selfish player, and I don't mean that in the good way. What I'm saying is that he looks like he's all piss and vinegar when he has a potential chance to score, and then turns into a fuzzy sloth when he doesn't. But he's not always that sloth, as he does have the occasional good shift in the d-zone! I think that's the most frustrating part of it. I would absolutely love this player if he showed consistent effort. He's like the anti-Rossi.

Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot as a prospect in some ways: amazing skill, stupid penalties, sporadic effort. If he doesn't improve his effort, I think he's got similar upside to what Pouliot became. I'd consider taking him with a late 1st at the earliest, and if this video is actually indicative of his overall play, I'd hold off until the 2nd. I know that's below where he's expected to go, but I don't care. His game leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it's my opinion. I leave my mind open to be changed in the future, since this was a small sample size and it's my only viewing of him.
I agree with most of this assessment. Very concerning his engagement in the defensive zone. I’d say that his overall skill level would make him a pick for me in the teens though. Pretty dynamic skill set

Reactions: BagHead

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Piggy backing off of an earlier comment on trading down wouldn't that pretty much be the smartest idea in this draft? Literally no consensus on any players so it's gonna be a true crap shoot that see good players fall.

Perhaps if we are in the low teens high 20s if a chance to trade down to a high 2nd and 3rd? Wouldn't be a bad idea. Just let Brackett fire his load all over the draft board.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Piggy backing off of an earlier comment on trading down wouldn't that pretty much be the smartest idea in this draft? Literally no consensus on any players so it's gonna be a true crap shoot that see good players fall.

Perhaps if we are in the low teens high 20s if a chance to trade down to a high 2nd and 3rd? Wouldn't be a bad idea. Just let Brackett fire his load all over the draft board.
So trade a first for a second and a third? I’d rather just hang onto the first and trust his scouting judgement

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
"teams limited to no more than two lottery wins in a five-year period"

So the Edmonton theory of 'let's keep drafting high end talent and wasting their career in this useless, turd circus franchise.' will be almost null and void then, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad