Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Christien

May 1, 2010
They still haven’t announced whether or not this draft will be held virtually, right?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

If we end up with the #7 pick and the top 6 go in that order, I'd either go Eklund or Wallstedt, or trade back and get MacTavish and hopefully another 1st.

Another option is if we get bumped back to 8/9 and we're not in love with who is left on the board is trade our top 10 pick for a mid to late 1st and an impact roster player that's 25 or under.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we end up with the #7 pick and the top 6 go in that order, I'd either go Eklund or Wallstedt, or trade back and get MacTavish and hopefully another 1st.

Another option is if we get bumped back to 8/9 and we're not in love with who is left on the board is trade our top 10 pick for a mid to late 1st and an impact roster player that's 25 or under.
What about Hughes or Lysell?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What about Hughes or Lysell?

Hughes, maybe. I think the kid is a great skater but I'm not in love with his game. I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy. His defense needs a lot of work. More than Edvinsson, Clarke and Power.

Lysell I want nothing to do with in the top 15. Tremendous skating ability and probably top 3 in the draft. Good stickhandling but overhandles the puck. Not an elite shooter. Super small winger. He looks even smaller than Raymond did last year and Berggren during his draft year. I just think that there's equally good or better prospects out there. I'd love him with Washington's pick if he falls but not before.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Olen Zellweger is a LHD that had an excellent U18 tournament and went a point per game in the WHL this season. Really young for the draft, too, being born one day after Luke Hughes. Pronman mentioned him in one of his articles lately and compared his game to Sam Girard.
Really wouldn’t mind him with one of our 2nd rounders, he’s such a great skater

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's been great hockey. The Chicago Steel are turning into a developmental powerhouse, ton of talent there.

I didn't realize that Fargo picked up Scott Morrow for the playoffs. It is nice to see the HS kids play a couple of games against better comp prior to draft day. I also really like that Broz kid (who seems to be bigger than I remember) and that defensemen Peart. Chicago has four or five really good draft eligible players themselves.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This guy. If we're looking for another small winger whose name isn't Eklund then I avoid Lysell and pick this guy.

Nikita Chibrikov at eliteprospects.com

Highest scoring draft eligible player at the WJC18's. Sports Illustrated compared him to 2020 draft pick Rodion Amirov.

Scouting Report: Nikita Chibrikov - Smaht Scouting

Smaht Scouting notes that he is in the same system that produced Podkolzin, Khuznutdinov (who most of us wanted) Askarov (who Bench wanted) Kirill Marchenko, Maxim Groshev, and Matvei Michkov. Not a bad development system to come from. And he's apparently really gritty for a little guy.

2021 NHL Draft #18: Nikita Chibrikov Scouting Report

Reactions: evolutionbaby

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Here's a bit on Mason McTavish.

2021 NHL Draft #12: Mason McTavish Scouting Report

Compared to Jeff Carter in that report. While I don't know if that's the comparison I would use, it's not bad at all if that's his top end potential.

https://thehockeywriters.com/mason-mctavish-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Scouting Report: Mason McTavish - Smaht Scouting

His goal chart from the OHL last season shows that he is a good at scoring in the tough areas of the ice. Also has a phenomenal shot and release, which bodes even better when going pro because getting your shot off quick in those tight areas of the ice can be the difference between a Justin Abdelkader or an Anders Lee (who I would compare him more to.)

Oh, and the hitz! This kid plays the modern NHL power forward game.

If we get bumped back to 7 or 8 and Eklund/Guenther/Clarke are off the board I wouldn't be mad with this kid at the tail end of the top 10.

Reactions: jfrank21

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What a weird way to sell it. Makes it sound like there's an insane amount of #1 worthy draftees, when the reality is there are none.

... And I don't think I've seen anybody with any sort of reputation ranking Eklund #1.

How? Says he is one of several prospects who could go first overall in this draft. I wouldn’t draft Eklund first, but he had the best season out of any draft eligible player in my opinion.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think when draft day finally come, size will trump everything. That’s why Power and Edvinson go 1 and 2. I think Eklund slides to around our pick because of that. I would not be disappointed if we took him but I sure hope they see him as a centre then.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think when draft day finally come, size will trump everything. That’s why Power and Edvinson go 1 and 2. I think Eklund slides to around our pick because of that. I would not be disappointed if we took him but I sure hope they see him as a centre then.

I’d buy the size factor to a certain extent, but I’d wager we might see a bias towards the best/most track record. Power, Beniers, Johnson, Eklund getting bumps, whereas Guenther or Clarke might have teams pause ever so slightly. Not like a legit draft day tumble, but just reordering the deck chairs in the top 10 by a slot here or there

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d buy the size factor to a certain extent, but I’d wager we might see a bias towards the best/most track record. Power, Beniers, Johnson, Eklund getting bumps, whereas Guenther or Clarke might have teams pause ever so slightly. Not like a legit draft day tumble, but just reordering the deck chairs in the top 10 by a slot here or there

Why are you saying teams pause on Guenther and Clarke?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This guy. If we're looking for another small winger whose name isn't Eklund then I avoid Lysell and pick this guy.

Nikita Chibrikov at eliteprospects.com

Highest scoring draft eligible player at the WJC18's. Sports Illustrated compared him to 2020 draft pick Rodion Amirov.

Scouting Report: Nikita Chibrikov - Smaht Scouting

Smaht Scouting notes that he is in the same system that produced Podkolzin, Khuznutdinov (who most of us wanted) Askarov (who Bench wanted) Kirill Marchenko, Maxim Groshev, and Matvei Michkov. Not a bad development system to come from. And he's apparently really gritty for a little guy.

2021 NHL Draft #18: Nikita Chibrikov Scouting Report

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why are you saying teams pause on Guenther and Clarke?

Purely because I think we might see a cautious approach with teams giving a boost to the players they have the largest *recent* viewings. We did get to see some games in the Dub for Guenther, and then both U18s, but their sample size isn’t as immense as what the NCAA guys or SHL guys got on tape.

And I type all of this out to remember Clarke played internationally, but I feel obligated to at least tell you what my thought process was.

We know how important some scouts feel age is when it comes to pinpointing where kids are on the development curve. That works against some kids who only got a few games in and are relying on their 16-17 year old season to sell their game as opposed to 17-18. If some kids didn’t get as much game time in, they don’t get enough time to show off their growth as players, and I think that does introduce some question marks that could sway teams towards players they are more comfortable with.

Not saying it will happen for sure, but it would be my bet if we were to see something resembling an irregular trend in this year’s draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Purely because I think we might see a cautious approach with teams giving a boost to the players they have the largest *recent* viewings. We did get to see some games in the Dub for Guenther, and then both U18s, but their sample size isn’t as immense as what the NCAA guys or SHL guys got on tape.

And I type all of this out to remember Clarke played internationally, but I feel obligated to at least tell you what my thought process was.

He played very, very well internationally. Like if recency bias was going to help/hurt anyone, I think he is the guy who benefits most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad