Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
winning the last game was so dumb. we had a realistic chance to move up two spots.

You know... with the season they had and were finishing with, I'm glad they ended the year on a high note. This draft isn't the best anyways and they ultimately might not keep their pick via a potential trade.

It was a good battle for the kids and they got the win from it. I will never be upset about that...

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
winning the last game was so dumb. we had a realistic chance to move up two spots.

was never likely they'd fall behind Flyers
and Stars lost 5 of last 7

with 2 weeks left, there was opportunity to drop close to 10, but Kings, Hawks, 'nucks, Sharks all lost often

differences in Lottery odds were not much significant, at 14 , still woulda needed another 'lightning strike'
1 outa 200 is darn close 3 outa 200

14. Philadelphia Flyers | Odds: 1.5%
15. Dallas Stars | Odds: 1.0%
16. New York Rangers | Odds: 0.5%

(NYR listed at 16, but once order is set, AZ gets removed(pick forfeited) and teams behind move 'up'

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We should start focusing on midround talents. We’re not making our first pick im like 99% sure.
ugh why? I still wouldn't mind another high end forward to let marinate for a few years. especially if someone who fits a need is around in the mid teens.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
ugh why? I still wouldn't mind another high end forward to let marinate for a few years. especially if someone who fits a need is around in the mid teens.
Dolan disagrees. Even if it isn't Eichel, we will still be trying to boost our roster one way or another, and our 1st rounder is a useful asset.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There really are no high end forwards in this draft that will be around at 15.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There really are no high end forwards in this draft that will be around at 15.
We could be feeling differently in 2-3 years. Of course it would depend what we got back but would like a few more talented forwards in the system.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We could be feeling differently in 2-3 years. Of course it would depend what we got back but would like a few more talented forwards in the system.
Of course anything could happen. But the indicators are all looking like that type of forward, or player in general, will not be there at 15. This is just not that type of draft, compounded by the events of the last year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Of course anything could happen. But the indicators are all looking like that type of forward, or player in general, will not be there at 15. This is just not that type of draft, compounded by the events of the last year.
Maybe I'm trying to stay glass half full and maybe this will be the draft were some gems fall down to the teens/late teens bcause of the lack of exposure/playing time due to covid.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is a draft where you probably don't go in with confidence that you're finding a high-end talent, but they're probably out there somewhere.

It'll be a matter of homework and, frankly, a bit of good fortune.
Exactly. They are out there. It's never black and white with this draft sucking and the next one being the best ever. There is probably some grey area and I hope with our first rounder and some good slots in the 3rd and 4th rounds we can at least find one or two productive forwards who can contribute in 2,3,4 years.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is a draft where you probably don't go in with confidence that you're finding a high-end talent, but they're probably out there somewhere.

It'll be a matter of homework and, frankly, a bit of good Player Development.
Fixed

Reactions: CLW

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Most of the talk that I've seen on here for our pick has circled around Raty or L'Heureux, and I haven't seen much about McTavish or Sillinger. Why is that?

Do people expect them to be off the board by then, is there more doubt about their future at centre than the other two, or is it something else?

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Most of the talk that I've seen on here for our pick has circled around Raty or L'Heureux, and I haven't seen much about McTavish or Sillinger. Why is that?

Do people expect them to be off the board by then, is there more doubt about their future at centre than the other two, or is it something else?

McTavs U18 performance prolly out him out of range.

Don't know about Sillinger.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I can see the Rangers packaging their 1st for an established NHL player. Feels about that time in the rebuild.

Reactions: Synergy27

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I think McTavish has played himself up the list, potentially a top 10 pick now. L'Heureux has dropped on most lists considerably, but with the toughness he brings physically, mentally might be an issue going forward. Sillinger has a lot of flaws to work on, but the skill is there. Just plays very "juniors" like. I think there's a lot to be desired with Raty, but he could've just had a bad year.

Think McTavish, ATM, is the best of the four options...

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I can see the Rangers packaging their 1st for an established NHL player. Feels about that time in the rebuild.

Been saying this for most of the year and I feel it's heightened now with the management makeover.

We'll see what happens...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Been saying this for most of the year and I feel it's heightened now with the management makeover.

We'll see what happens...

If you're going to trade any first-rounder for for an established player it's this year's first, you don't want to get rid of first rounders in the next two years, those drafts are going to very good.

Having said that I'm sure there's a number of teams that will be looking to do that and maybe teams with more assets n the form of draft picks, like Detroit or Montreal.

Speaking of Detroit and Montreal, going into this year's draft those two teams have the most draft picks in the last three drafts, 31 and 29 respectively, the Rangers are not too far behind on that list maybe third or fourth with 26 draft picks in the last 3 years. Our division rivals are all in the bottom 10 teams of 'least draft picks' over that time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

There are questions about Sillinger's will to compete at the NHL level. And McTavish's tournament probably propels him to top-10.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
There are questions about Sillinger's will to compete at the NHL level. And McTavish's tournament probably propels him to top-10.
This year will be the year of steals. Lots of history of guys who had a very good tournament inflate their value only to find out that it was artificial. Not saying that is McTavish, but that danger is there. There will be lots of guys who had a rough season because of a rough year, slide down in the draft, and then teams will be making out like bandits once those players return to normal. Teams that don't scout well historically will probably be totally screwed.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This year will be the year of steals. Lots of history of guys who had a very good tournament inflate their value only to find out that it was artificial. Not saying that is McTavish, but that danger is there. There will be lots of guys who had a rough season because of a rough year, slide down in the draft, and then teams will be making out like bandits once those players return to normal. Teams that don't scout well historically will probably be totally screwed.
Agreed on your last point. To add to your first sentence, while yes there will probably be steals but there will also be a lot of swings and misses. To which your overall arching point of teams will pay the price for not having a good scouting staff in place.

Reactions: dshea19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->