Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I’m going with Johnson for the number 1 spot

Could possibly be the case. My guess (early mind you), is that Brandt Clarke is a strong candidate to go No. 1. But then again, so are others. There's a lot of players not playing, ATM, that could turn out strong seasons. We'll have to wait it out. Looking at Mason McTavish, too.

Reactions: brians1128

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Could possibly be the case. My guess (early mind you), is that Brandt Clarke is a strong candidate to go No. 1. But then again, so are others. There's a lot of players not playing, ATM, that could turn out strong seasons. We'll have to wait it out. Looking at Mason McTavish, too.

it’s wide open, just my hot take

Reactions: QJL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Zachary Bolduc without Lafreniere will be interesting to watch. The Rangers will have seen a lot of him based on their going back through notes and footage for Lafeniere.

Bolduc played the entire season apart from Lafreniere, power play included.

I’m concerned about his skating but aside from that the skill set is there. Guy can rip it.

Reactions: brians1128

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One thing I have noticed is the 2o21 draft is noticeably larger in size at the top end than the 2020 draft. There are some big players--a lot more 6'er's and up and a lot more guys weighing more than 175 lbs. already and up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bolduc played the entire season apart from Lafreniere, power play included.

I’m concerned about his skating but aside from that the skill set is there. Guy can rip it.

I meant it more from the sense that he is not going to be the focal point of this team.

That's the impact of someone like Lafreniere --- it's felt throughout the entire roster. You remove him, and the entire dynamic of the team, and what the opposition zeroes in on, changes dramatically.

Reactions: JCProdigy

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Beniers is another kid who plays a damn complete game that makes him look like an NHL player. His position could rise or fall depending on how the offense comes along, and whether he shifts back to center.
I like Benier a lot, but expect him to be a top-10 pick. Chances are that the Rangers will be drafting outside the top-10. So the early favorite "realistic" targets would be Pastujov (reminds me a bit of Zegras), Poltapov & Sillinger. Also like Corson Ceulemans, two way defender with size.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Benier a lot, but expect him to be a top-10 pick. Chances are that the Rangers will be drafting outside the top-10. So the early favorite "realistic" targets would be Pastujov (reminds me a bit of Zegras), Poltapov & Sillinger. Also like Corson Ceulemans, two way defender with size.

Pastujov is another kid that is really easy to like.

Excellent vision and playmaking skills, great control of the puck and the ability to back defenders up, crisp passing, crafty skating, always working to escape containment, etc.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I meant it more from the sense that he is not going to be the focal point of this team.

That's the impact of someone like Lafreniere --- it's felt throughout the entire roster. You remove him, and the entire dynamic of the team, and what the opposition zeroes in on, changes dramatically.

This is a very important distiction. A player like Lafreniere can impact the teammates not on his line by them getting easier match ups. Lafreniere was the best player in the QMJHL in years. Teams are going to focus on that

This is the exact same reason why Zibanejad flourished this season more so than ever before, with Panarin taking a lot of the spotlight off of him

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Pastujov is another kid that is really easy to like.

Excellent vision and playmaking skills, great control of the puck and the ability to back defenders up, crisp passing, crafty skating, always working to escape containment, etc.

Also has 7 goals in 6 games for the Developmental Team!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/319517996/binary-file/file.pdf

NHL Central Scouting will be releasing their preliminary list on Tuesday, but they have released their "player to watch" list. The players below are listed as initial "A" ratings (in alphabetical order)...

C: Matthew Beniers
C: Zachary Bolduc
C: Xavier Bourgault
D: Corson Ceulemans
D: Daniil Chayka
D: Brandt Clarke
D: Simon Edvinsson
LW: William Eklund
D: Artem Grushnikov
RW: Dylan Guenther
D: Luke Hughes
C: Kent Johnson
C: Ryder Korczak
LW: Zachary L'Heureux
D: Carson Lambos
C: Chaz Lucius
RW: Fabian Lysell
C: Mason McTavish
RW: Sasha Pastujov
C: Francesco Pinelli
D: Owen Power
C: Aatu Raty
RW: Simon Robertsson
LW: Conner Roulette
RW: Mackie Samoskevich
D: Roman Schmidt
LW: Cole Sillinger
C: Fedor Svechkov
LW: Vladimir Sychev
RW: Samu Tuomaala
G: Jesper Wallstedt

Early notables that weren't given an initial "A" rating...

D: Sean Behrens
D: Isaac Belliveau
RW: Tyler Boucher
RW: Nikita Chibrikov
C: Zach Dean
LW: Dylan Duke
C: Samuel Helenius
LW: James Malatesta
RW: Oskar Olausson
LW: Brennan Othmann
LW: Prokhor Poltopov
RW: Isak Rosen
C: Samu Salminen
C: Logan Stankoven
D: Stanislav Svozil

^ Mind you these non-"A's" are all listed as "B's".

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NHL Central Scouting will be releasing their preliminary list on Tuesday, but they have released their "player to watch" list. The players below are listed as initial "A" ratings (in alphabetical order)...

Interesting. Love Beniers. He will not be around when the Rangers are drafting. Realistic Ranger choices that I like from the first list are Pastujov, Sillinger & Ceulemans.

Another one of my early faves is Poltopov, but am surprised he did not garner the A rating.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Wow!
You’re a great source of information! Appreciate the cited references:
E4B451E3-39F4-432E-BC53-7C4CA88EEA0F.gif

I’m really glad that I decided to visit HF Rangers more often & explore the ancillary Threads here.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That’s asinine. I could see taking out fighting for the season although I wouldn’t. Just make everyone but the goalies where glass or plastic face shields if you want.

If you aren’t going to play the game properly then you shouldn’t be playing.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Interesting development, wonder how that'll work out...

They should let him play. You don't see too many draft eligibles make it, but he's a late birthday I believe. As it stands now, the 2021 draft is the Owen Power draft to me so far. Guenther at 2, but not that far behind. It will be interesting to see. Lots of Pronger in his game. Minus the disregard for humanity while on the ice.

Think he's at Michigan for 2 years. It's a good route for him, he'll have plenty of time to pack on the mass. Even if it takes an extra year with some time in the AHL, you are better off having him come in ready physically. I think he's much closer to the show than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->