NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
That sounds like something that would get him fired from Fox.
Yes. I am sure that almost 99% of reputable employers would fire you for drinking on the job. Or at the very least give you a long suspension and force you into rehab.

This is especially true for an employer that is so visible in the public eye.

Drinking on the job (and by extension, encouraging alcoholism) is worse than what some people have been fired for.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
After watching a bunch of Seahawk games I think Wilson is personally responsible for half his sacks. He makes a number of bad decisions for an "elite" QB.
Who knows. There have been many instances that the Hawks OLine performed like the Chiefs OL in the Super Bowl vs NE. DL defeated the block immediately and were up in the QB's face by the time the QB hit their 5 step drop.

Maybe Russ is anticipating protection breakdown too often.

But, everything works in unison. OL blocking, QB read and moving within the pocket, play call, scheme. Chris Simms has been very critical of the Hawks lack of creativity in their passing route concepts. It's too basic and the defenses know what is coming so the WR aren't open, thus forcing the QB to hold the ball longer.

Nothing wrong with running the ball, but the Hawks are a very basic pound the rock in a physical style and then hit play action deep shots. They need to add more variation to their playbook so that they can adjust based on the OL play.

But, again, any player, mostly QBs who have gotten big signing bonuses already, it's extremely difficult to move them.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
This "storming out of the meeting" thing was from mid-November but I'm enjoying how it's framed like it's some current event.
Seattle has hired a new OC since then.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whether he wants to get out or not, the real story here is that it’s not going away. When it was first reported that people asked it was kind of laughed off with trans doing their due diligence, but teams thought it was worth asking for a reason.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Who knows. There have been many instances that the Hawks OLine performed like the Chiefs OL in the Super Bowl vs NE. DL defeated the block immediately and were up in the QB's face by the time the QB hit their 5 step drop.

Maybe Russ is anticipating protection breakdown too often.

But, everything works in unison. OL blocking, QB read and moving within the pocket, play call, scheme. Chris Simms has been very critical of the Hawks lack of creativity in their passing route concepts. It's too basic and the defenses know what is coming so the WR aren't open, thus forcing the QB to hold the ball longer.

Nothing wrong with running the ball, but the Hawks are a very basic pound the rock in a physical style and then hit play action deep shots. They need to add more variation to their playbook so that they can adjust based on the OL play.

But, again, any player, mostly QBs who have gotten big signing bonuses already, it's extremely difficult to move them.
I saw that PFF looked at each of Wilson's sacks and put the majority of the blame on him, especially when he was in the pocket. The coach saying Wilson is hearing ghosts could be very correct, but that may also come from a few seasons in a row of him getting hit a lot from bad protection. That can build some bad habits in a QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I saw that PFF looked at each of Wilson's sacks and put the majority of the blame on him, especially when he was in the pocket. The coach saying Wilson is hearing ghosts could be very correct, but that may also come from a few seasons in a row of him getting hit a lot from bad protection. That can build some bad habits in a QB.
For me, I would not focus on a stat like sacks for Russ as the game the hawks play along with his escape ability means he will hold the ball and take sacks to make chunk plays. A guy like Brady when he sees and feels pressure will throw the ball at the feet of his RB but he may get knocked down.

I know that there is the knock down stat, so that’s a better stat to use if you are looking at the physical toll a qb is taking. Even stats where he avoids a sack but is tackled for a 1/2 yes gain should count towards what I would call taken to the ground.

is Russ looking to change from a run heavy and chunk play passing attached to something more of a ball controlled short passing game?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

He's forgotten cause he always got hurt (he only played more than six regular season games in 2005 and 2007), although I think real football fans do remember him coming back in 2006 for the playoffs was a huge key for the Colts finally going all the way. I didn't remember he actually won DPOY though.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's forgotten cause he always got hurt (he only played more than six regular season games in 2005 and 2007), although I think real football fans do remember him coming back in 2006 for the playoffs was a huge key for the Colts finally going all the way. I didn't remember he actually won DPOY though.

2005 and 2007 he was first team all pro.
He was also huge in the Colts playoff run in 2006 because they couldn’t stop the run for the life of em.

It was really a shame he always got hurt, he didn’t quite take care of his body. As much as the 2006 Colts finally put it all together, their 2005 team as a whole was probably their best team in that run.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2005 and 2007 he was first team all pro.
He was also huge in the Colts playoff run in 2006 because they couldn’t stop the run for the life of em.

It was really a shame he always got hurt, he didn’t quite take care of his body. As much as the 2006 Colts finally put it all together, their 2005 team as a whole was probably their best team in that run.
Probably more that with his 5’9 frame his body could only withstand so much punishment. He played like Chancellor but with an Earl Thomas size.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

So, yes that is big news. The other one looks to be that NFL Network is going to take on the entire TNF package so that Amazon remains in the game for streaming. So no more big-network TNF. But how does that work out in local markets?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Probably more that with his 5’9 frame his body could only withstand so much punishment. He played like Chancellor but with an Earl Thomas size.

Chancellor was bound for Canton if it wasn’t for that career ending injury.

He would’ve joined Sherman and Thomas when it’s all said and done.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This also means the salary cap is going to maybe double very soon. That Mahomes contract is going to be a bargain very soon.

They wanted this done before setting the new cap and we’re still telling people that it would go up to $180m instead of going down so I guess we’ll see next month.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Notre Dame nation mourns the death of former football star Louis Nix III

In a pre-Christmas catchup that turned into a heart-to-heart talk, Louis Nix III, who had rattled off answers to both routine and profound questions, had a deep one of his own.

“Do you think I mattered?” he asked.

Nix’s death comes a little less than three months after the 29-year-old survived being shot in the chest during a Dec. 8 bungled armed robbery attempt at a Jacksonville gas station.

He spent 11 days in the hospital, suffering a fractured sternum with the bullet still lodged in his left lung after doctors deemed it too risky to remove it.

The aftershocks of being ambushed while putting air in his car’s tire the night of the attempted robbery haunted Nix.

“I went out shopping with my girl to get my mom a birthday gift, and it was crazy,” Nix told the Tribune after coming home from the hospital. “You wouldn’t think you’d feel like that, but I was just paranoid being around people.

“People coming up from behind me, coming out of nowhere. I felt like I just needed to see everything, and it was kind of emotional in the moment.

“I didn’t think it’d be like this. My job (Cintas Corp.) is going to provide a therapist for me, and I’m open to talking about this issue. Hopefully, they’ll help me get past that point and learn how to deal with it, because at this point, I really don’t want to leave the house again.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad